Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 127 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1261 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-21-15, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

I’m still trudging along with the edgework on my first batch of Alpha Legion marines. I’ve been away on vacation and attending a wedding so time has been kind of at a premium these past few weeks. Feel good to be back to the brushes even if progress is slow. Right now I’m mostly trying to focus on getting ANYTHING done since I can’t seem to stop purchasing new stuff no matter if I get things painted or not (that’s addiction – right?).

When I was painting my miniatures last night I took a long hard look on my Vexilla bearers and was stuck with that gut feeling that something was missing. Since I had recently bought some new tools (hole-punch etc) I figured I could put it to good use and do some new, but minor, additions to my miniatures. So I added the tiny circles to the standards and I think it was needed to get a complete look and feel.

These are the last few marines that have gotten recent additions and painting progress:

And here’s a comparison picture between my Night Lords and my Alpha Legion for those wanting a direct side-to-side.

Till next time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-21-15, 01:22 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Those alphas are coming along nicely. It's remarkable how thin and spindly they look in Mark IV compared the the Mark III armor.

I look forward to seeing this progress.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #1263 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-13-15, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Those alphas are coming along nicely. It's remarkable how thin and spindly they look in Mark IV compared the the Mark III armor.

I look forward to seeing this progress.
The Mk III is kind of heavy set and wider on the bottom. It does have remarkably thin shoulderpads compared to the plastick Mk VI ones though. With the plastic shoulders you really get a kind of American footballer look. The FW pads for Mk VI is somewhat less rounded and therefore gives a more lean profile but since it's easier to get hold of plastic pads I decided to go with them on pretty much all of my miniatures. This is mostly a plastic army after all.

----

Finally been bit by the painting bug once more and got motivation enough to finish enough steps on one marine to actually get him done. His squad mates did progress a few steps along the line as well but none of them are totally finished just yet. My goal is to have a squad of 5 done before the end of the month and that should be doable. Specially if I include the previous tester model into the mix for the time being. The miniature I did complete happens to be the squadrons Vexilla bearer. At first I was dumbstruck about what to do with the actual Vexilla Icon and the pole. But after browsing around on instagram I happened upon this interesting mixed pattern for metallic surfaces what included glazes of blue and light brown which gave an interesting effect - so I ended up doing that to the Vexilla and I think it fits with the theme:

Those with sharp eyes might notice the Pi-symbol (π) on the shoulderpad which is the nod to the battlegroup/army divisions these Alphas are drawn from. There are also a capital A on his right greave which isn't visible in any of these pictures.

I'll be toying more with white markings on some of the miniatures for this army as I go along. Then again it's a fine balance to strike since I want them to have as little as possible in the way of markings and identifiers yet still achieve a level of individuality in each miniature.

I also managed to finish half of a crater for my terrain collection. It might appear odd to only finish half of it but I take what I can get when it comes to hobby progression:

And finally here's an updated army shot, as you can see I've reached an impressive amount of finished miniatures already:

Till next time!

post #1264 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 03:54 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I absolutely love your dirt, both on the the two minis and the terrain and seeing them in a single shot makes them both more impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #1265 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-16-15, 12:43 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
as you can see I've reached an impressive amount of finished miniatures already
Love your painting and enjoy your wit mate, keep it coming.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #1266 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-26-15, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I absolutely love your dirt, both on the the two minis and the terrain and seeing them in a single shot makes them both more impressive.
Best part about that dirt is that it's fairly straightforward to make and only leaves a slight mess on my entire desk behind when I do it!

Basically follows this setup:
Primer – Vallejo Black Primer
1st Coat – Vallejo Air 71.036 Mahagony - Fixate with spray coat with varnish (any type)
2nd – Forge World Orange Rust Powder - Fixate with isopropanol (hence varnish in previous step)
3rd – Forge World Light Rust Powder - Fixate with isopropanol
4th – Forge World Black Soot Powder (if applicable) / Forge World Faded Green Powder (if applicable) followed by Games Workshop Nihilakh Oxide (if applicable) / Forge World Bone Dust Powder (if applicable) - Fixate with isopropanol
5th - Coat with Satin Varnish
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Love your painting and enjoy your wit mate, keep it coming.
It's sporadic, but I do my best. Even the simplest miniatures appear to take ages to finish these days. Even just putting on a few highlights takes me a weeks worth of evenings. Meh - basically.

----

I'm doing some tweaking with pictures. I have this super nice thread idea that I'd want to launch in a "better world scenario" (ie if I had time and capability to achieve what I'm looking for). So here's a header picture I took for the Alpha part of that thread, obviously a placeholder till I could get more miniatures painted:

In other news I did manage to finish not one but two* miniatures the past few days. First one is the stand in army leader / sergeant. He's magnetized in the right arm and the left wrist so he can swap weapons if needed. Haven't painted any of his weapon options though (which is typical for me). I must say I'm fairly pleased with him apart from the fact that his armour shade is like 5% brighter than I would have preferred - alas this is something that varies between every miniature so it's not like it's something that's easy to control and or fix:

The second* miniature finished is actually the first Alpha tester that I did some minor adjustments to and completely repainted the backpack on. I'm much more pleased with him now and he doesn't stick out as much when in company of the other 3 finished miniatures:

And I will end this short update with another "Army Picture". This army is now quickly accumulating points. I mean, depending on how I define these marines they could easily approach 200 pts in illegal unit choices now! Are you impressed? You should be, because I am!
post #1267 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-27-15, 02:00 PM
WARMASTERWILLIE's Flag is: United Kingdom

love your work mate! did you use the minitaire ghost tints for your alphas? the effects looks quite similar.
post #1268 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-27-15, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARMASTERWILLIE View Post
love your work mate! did you use the minitaire ghost tints for your alphas? the effects looks quite similar.
It's actually layered Tamiya Clear colours. Works pretty well, enables me to stack it into the effect I wish to achieve (green hue with shift towards blue depending on how you hold the miniature). Haven't tried the minitaire ghost range and I haven't tried the forgeworld airbrush colour range. Can't really be bothered to change recipe again, you know? Unless someone showed me a better alternative in person that is.
post #1269 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-27-15, 02:12 PM
WARMASTERWILLIE's Flag is: United Kingdom

cool i havent tried anything from Tamiya yet i might have to investigate. i was asking coz i plan on doing a little alpha army when im finshed with my death guard. the ghost tints are ok but ive get to fine a model use for them yet only on canvas. dont know about the forge world one i think ill be sticking to vallejo for price reasons lol
post #1270 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-26-16, 01:17 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Xeno, I feel the need for some envy/inspiration. I think I'm going to go off and start a King Arthur style legend of your one day return (or some norse equivalent - Siegfrid?) to inspire us all to painting glory again!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode