Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 126 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1251 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-23-15, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Interesting. I've got so used to the snub barrelled look that seeing a long barrel on a heavy bolter is disorienting.

Your dedication to the hobby is amazing, I think I'd go swiftly insane trying to approach your level of skill with green stuff and modelling... I mean, you individually did the fingers!
I haven't decided on the subject just yet. It's a tempting conversion in order to keep options open though, which I am in dire need of in order to get any progress whatsoever in this endeavour.

Yet it could be argued that I already am insane, seeing as how my many fiddlings with sculpting and bit-bashing is doing nothing but keeping me from actually getting units painted. I fear that I will have forgotten how to actually use a brush once I've constructed my first squads and readied them for batch painting.

And while on the subject of batch painting...

20 Alpha Legionnaires are fully built and have gotten various degrees of equipment tacked to their belts. There's just one guy missing a bolter because I used it to glue arms on other marines (they are magnetized at the wrists) and didn't realize it till I was editing the pictures. As you can see these are bog standard marines. I'll be including a Vox-operator and a Vexilla bearer to the finished unit later on but I lack pieces for the Vox (soon to be released from FW I hope) and my Vexilla standards need some more attention before I'm happy with them and can show them off.

Right now I'm trying to finish another set of marines just like these to give me a solid foundation of 40 bolter marines (able to hold other weapons if needed). Then add another 10-20 more power armoured infantry to that mix and I'll have pretty much what I'll need in that department for a foreseeable future. After that I'll turn my attention to artillery and rhino-chassis.

For now I have a stand in army-leader, rather unsurprisingly going by the nick-name 'Alpharius' at the moment I'm sure he'll get a reputation of his own very soon:

His right arm is magnetized at the shoulder joint and the left arm has a magnet in his wrist. I'm going to make a set of different options for him should I ever need another kind of load (mostly thinking paragon blade to represent a Praetor).

Finally we have the beginning of some of the support elements. Having blobs of 20 tactical marines means that add-on options that provides extra survivability is welcomed (and in some scenarios almost a requirement). Keeping true to my original point of order I've constructed my own Mk VI apothecary (still WIP) and will probably add another 2 further down the line depending on how the army progresses:

That's all for now. Hope to have something new to show shortly but can't make any promises!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 03-23-15 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1252 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-23-15, 11:35 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lovely work as always xeno. You are truly the master of subtle space marine modelling.
post #1253 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-24-15, 12:24 AM

dutchy1982's Flag is: United Kingdom

Absolutely stunning work as always. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Also, is it easy magnetising arms? I want to have a go but not really sure how to go about it.

post #1254 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdair View Post
Lovely work as always xeno. You are truly the master of subtle space marine modelling.
Thank you, kind sir. Space Marines have become my bread and butter as it where. But I'm branching out behind the scenes and trying other factions as well. Albeit more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1982 View Post
Absolutely stunning work as always. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Also, is it easy magnetising arms? I want to have a go but not really sure how to go about it.
Thank you! Magnetising is easy when it comes to Space Marines. Their shoulder to torso joint is perfectly suitable for magnets of many sizes and most mistakes are easily cleaned up and fixed should they arise during the process.

For most arms I use 2x2 mm cylindrical magnets. I drill a hole with a 2 mm drill bit in the torso and the shoulder of the marine. Put in drop of superglue into the torso, push the first magnet it. Then once dry I put the magnets together (the shoulder magnet now protruding from the top of the torso magnet) then put some superglue into the shoulder and push the shoulder hole onto the magnet poking out (while it's attached to the torso - this makes sure that the magnetic alignment is correct). That's the short - written - explanation. Pictures might make more sense though...

----

Progress update. I've built and base coated most of my power armoured marines at this date. Pictures as follows:

In other news. Trying to spur myself on (and also since my friends pushed me into it) I've started to stream some of my painting sessions. The last few sessions spent on painting Planetary Empire tiles for a campaign map for a 40k campaign I'm doing with a few friends (HERE). If you'd like to come check them out, feel free to follow me on twitch to get notifications of future streams - http://www.twitch.tv/littleolof - most likely the next stream will be the first few steps for the Alpha infantry.

Till next time.

Last edited by xenobiotic; 07-13-15 at 10:51 AM.
post #1255 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 01:09 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

A Xeno update, praise be! MK6 Marines looking great, very tacticool which befits the Alpha Legion. I will make sure to hit up your twitch too.
post #1256 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdair View Post
A Xeno update, praise be! MK6 Marines looking great, very tacticool which befits the Alpha Legion. I will make sure to hit up your twitch too.
They are also a mile apart from my Night Lords, which helps when it comes to motivation and possible hobby burnout.

Some progress has been made on the infantry. First few colours have been applied. They are now eagerly awaiting the Tamiya Clear Process (which is about 6-7 layers or so of sticky-and-candy-smelling fun!):

Till next time
post #1257 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-21-15, 11:58 AM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

That's a lot of dudes. Good luck!
post #1258 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamodai View Post
That's a lot of dudes. Good luck!
Thanks! Luck will probably (and sadly) be a major factor in how many of these I'll be able to churn out before the next bout of hobby burnout hits me. But that's life for you.

----

Some progress has been made! Life has, at the moment, proven that a scheduled approach is difficult when it comes to hobby (even when I have time set off for it I don't get that much done), so I take any progress I can get.

Working with transparent colours, glazes and varnish has become somewhat of a roller coaster of emotions for me. The actual look and feel of the colour on the armour not actually present and obvious until the final satin varnish layer has been sprayed makes things iffy along the process. Granted that the differences are subtle and might not be as apparent in photographs as they are in person. The new approach I have yields somewhat darker (grimdark is perhaps the correct word in these circumstances) shades then my previous tester did, which I believe is posted a few pages back in the thread - but I believe I prefer this one. I feel that it is now turquoise enough not to be Ultramarine, blue enough not to be Sons of Horus and the weathering is easy to apply but looks the part. As usual with all my painting attempts - the edge highlighting is the part that takes the most time for me, but I just can't let it go.

Alas I give you the first fully completed Alpha Legion marine for one of my many projects:

Here's also a small sample of the next 9 marines I'm working on at the moment:

In other news I'm gathering/ordering pieces for many other side projects (as usual) that might pop up here as we go along. I'm talking specifically 30k Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, Epic Miniatures (Marines, Tyranids, Astra Militarum, Tau, Knights, Necrons), Terrain pieces and so on and so forth.

Till next time!
post #1259 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 01:00 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Splendid work as always mate. That standard reminds me somewhat of the officer's regimental leading poles or guidons on display at the Leeds Tower Armouries. What are you going to do with it in terms of paint?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #1260 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Splendid work as always mate. That standard reminds me somewhat of the officer's regimental leading poles or guidons on display at the Leeds Tower Armouries. What are you going to do with it in terms of paint?
The pole will be painted black. Obviously I was thinking about some other colour than turquoise on the serpent since it's silver at the moment, but I have yet to come up with an idea that I like. Easiest solution would probably be to paint it silver metallic. Another option could be white (which will be a spot and detail colour as I move along with more complex miniatures). Not that I'm convinced just yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode