Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 125 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1241 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 11:54 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hurray, a xenobiotic update! Look forward to your next post!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1242 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 04:33 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Glad to see you back on Xeno. Amazing work as always

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #1243 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 10:01 AM

Any Alpha Legion queries - composition or otherwise, I am happy to help.

Your Work is beautiful BTW - a real pleasure to look through this blog at all the great work!

post #1244 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-25-15, 10:55 AM

Xeno, your excellent work has inspired (allowed me to shamelessly copy your) space as the undercoat of my thunderbolt, thanks very much for sharing your amazing work and the method by which you do it!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #1245 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-15, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Glad to see you back on Xeno. Amazing work as always
I did gone get sidetracked for a couple of months, but I'm going to try to get back to the project now, slowly getting the ball rolling again. Thanks for the support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHRIMANNINE View Post
Any Alpha Legion queries - composition or otherwise, I am happy to help.

Your Work is beautiful BTW - a real pleasure to look through this blog at all the great work!
Glad you like it! I have some thoughts about my A'Legion composition, right now I'm sitting with these miniatures thinking I'll include them in their list:

HQ (unclear which ones to go with for a generic list)
10 Legion Terminators
Tactical squad
Tactical squad
10 Headhunters
3 Rhinos
Outrider Squadron
Jetbike Squadron
3 Speeders (40k Tempest ones)
Sicaran
Medusa Artillery Battery (3 Medusas)

Not sure how playable combinations of the above will be, but I kind of like the units as such since they are way different compared to what I have for my Night Lords (which is mostly infantry, jump infantry and dreadnoughts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Hurray, a xenobiotic update! Look forward to your next post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Xeno, your excellent work has inspired (allowed me to shamelessly copy your) space as the undercoat of my thunderbolt, thanks very much for sharing your amazing work and the method by which you do it!
That thunderbolt is a beast, you should be very proud of your efforts there. Glad I could be of inspiration

----

Quote:
Born into darkness. Having never seen "the light" but in distant dreams before "that" time would come. We were told that we were refugees. It would turn out that we were condemned for sins that we had not committed and in some wicked way maybe for sins we would commit in time to come. Some would call us "the lucky few", whilst others, whose voices had not yet been allowed to carry words, would damn us for eternity. But these things are yet to come and stories yet to be experienced and told.

I am a man of many names, much like most of those whom I now call brethren. Call me 'Soothsayer'. Title me 'Oracle'. Define me as 'Prophet'. Curse me as 'Seer'. You can call me whatever you prefer, I do not answer more to any one of them yet there are some I prefer for, dramatic, effect. 'Augur' lies close to heart, it has a certain ring to it, does it not? And should you ask for my real name you shall never have an answer - such things where never given to those that dwelled in darkness, those of 'the lucky few' was never given a true name. And as such, we were and are 'empty', in the truest sense of the word.
-'Augur', of the 55th Company of the 8th (VIII) Legiones Astartes

Time has passed since last. I had a lot of ambition a couple of months ago but much faltered when I got into MMOs again for a while and work dragged me down for the rest of it. Saying that the warhammer hobby was on a back burner is an understatement seeing as the last time I picked up the brushes (till now) was the Alpha Legionnaire seen in the previous posts. There are however a few things in the workings. Some which you have seen before and some which might be new:ish. I'll trickle what little progress I can achieve as I reach it.

It's good to be back!
Till next time then!
post #1246 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 11:01 AM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

I just found your plog (how I missed it is beyond me) and I'm just blown away by your work. Both your conversions and painting work are brilliant! I especially love your Night Lords, I think they are the best portrayel I've seen of them anywhere. And that's coming from a Dark Angels affecionado .

Do you have any tips to create the more dynamic poses you have managed with your conversions? I sometimes struggle with that on my models.
post #1247 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 02:04 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Glad to see you back again mate. Hopefully for a bit longer this time around ;)

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #1248 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 03:34 PM

wolflordthor's Flag is: Germany

A nice update you have there, Sir Xeno!
post #1249 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-23-15, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
I just found your plog (how I missed it is beyond me) and I'm just blown away by your work. Both your conversions and painting work are brilliant! I especially love your Night Lords, I think they are the best portrayel I've seen of them anywhere. And that's coming from a Dark Angels affecionado .

Do you have any tips to create the more dynamic poses you have managed with your conversions? I sometimes struggle with that on my models.
I’ve been away from the hobby for a while so that’s probably why you missed my project log (to be fair it has been floating around back in double digit pages on the project log forum for a long while). I was meaning to come back to it earlier but I switched job and fell out of the hobby for a while again. Now I have some more focus and motivation gathered and I feel that I really need to get some units painted so my display cabinets aren’t just resin/plastic grey from top to bottom shelf.

On the subject of conversions I don’t know if I have any awesome tips to give but I’ll just give a rundown on how I approach the matter. Usually I get an idea in my head, then I start rummaging through the pieces I have and collect as many as possible getting as close as possible to the pose I want to achieve – this is where I used to stop before I dwelled more heavily into conversions. With the myriad of pieces available to your right now you can get quite a mileage out of what’s readily available. But the Night Lord in the previous post lacked a few things even after this process was done. The feet/legs where in the wrong pose for the miniature. The torso didn’t fit my vision. There were no hands available to achieve the pose I wanted and so on. This is where I start splicing pieces together. Shins+feet from one pair of legs pinned to another pair. Arms cut up and reposed into the right configuration (again with pins in them to give stability). Another torso to replace the one that came with the legs to start with. Filling in gaps is usually easy on marines since most cuts are in the soft armour anyway. Finally I still had to get the hands done, especially the one to hold the spear. Since there was no good alternative available I cut the fingers of another fist, glued the spear in place and then resculpted the fingers to hold it at the right angle. It was a royal pain, I had to sculpt each finger one at a time not to mess them all up with a slip.

Through the entire process I try to have other miniatures nearby to compare scale and pose so that the conversions still fit the rest of the army in size, scale and appeal. I also frequently look at rough anatomy and feasibility of poses in the mirror, just to get an idea if it’s even manageable to bend your body that way (super-human or not…). I hope that process write-down can be of use to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Glad to see you back again mate. Hopefully for a bit longer this time around ;)
Hopefully, yes, though life is somewhat sporadic at the moment and I appear to have gone off the rails when it comes to the hobby due to that large gap in the project log. I’m trying to refocus a few things in my life and pick up some of my old habits (in order to replace some new ones I picked up that proved not to be good for me at all).

I’ll have to think about how I want to proceed but I need to do something to keep the posts coming even if I have very little progress to show (it’ll probably be a while till I actually finish miniatures completely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflordthor View Post
A nice update you have there, Sir Xeno!
Thank you, kind sir!

----

First of all this update was meant to go up about a week ago but alas internet ate my post before it went live and I haven’t been able to re-write it till now. I should return to my old habit of writing the posts outside of the browser again.

Today I have 3 pictures to show you. All of them are from my Alpha Legion project which has been boosted in activity lately. The group of friends I blabber about Warhammer with have started up a campaign in order to motivate us to get miniatures painted and games under our belt. It’s a sad fact that most of us have played none or only a handful of games with the current ruleset. The thing is, in order to play with a miniature you have to have them completely painted (100% finished and based).

This led me to the conclusion that it was unfeasible to focus on the Night Lords for the campaign. Not only are they a conversion heavy force, they are also about 36 steps of airbrushing/painting and weathering, which makes them a far too big time sink at the moment. The Alpha Legions miniatures are, in comparison, only about 26 steps, and most of these steps are with the Airbrush and therefore easily reproduced over larger amount of miniatures. Although I must admit that I can’t stay away from conversions, even with the Alphas, at least they are far small in their extent due to my approach to the legion in general.

The focus for my 30k Alpha Legion is a force in nothing but Corvus Armour power armour (Mk VI). This enables me to make good use of the many plastic kits I have since before and also sets them apart from the Night Lords whom have mostly Mk III and Mk IV. To begin with you can expect mostly infantry, whom will be heavily magnetized to enable me to switch their load outs and decrease the needed number of miniatures for the army.

Right now I’m toying around with pieces for a Consul for the army. I’m not sold at all on this mock-up but I figured I might as well post it so you guys can see the process. At the moment this is the only torso in the army that has the eagle on it, which I still haven’t decide if I should keep or not. I’d like for the miniatures to look very similar apart from smaller details in the armour (and helmet decorations) but even though I envision my Alpha Legion Company to be Loyalist the eagle still bugs me out. The halberd weapon will most likely stay with the army leader though. The question which remains is to find a more suitable pose for it. The legs, for reference, are from the anniversary miniature (which I happened to get a few miscast extras off):

Second picture depicts a work in progress vexilla bearer for a tactical unit. I’m not sold if I actually need these miniatures in my army but the conversion for the banner came to me and I had to build it so now I’m planning for another one in my other big tactical blob to keep the theme up (as similar as possible when possible). I also took the freedom to order pieces for an army standard bearer (that will probably never see actual play) which I’m going to try to make as similar as possible to the standard on the cover of “Sedition's Gate”, more on that once I get going with that conversion:

Finally I have a series of pictures depicting the magnetization process on my miniature and how I can use these to switch between load-outs as needed. Switching between bolter and heavy bolter is quick and efficient, adding the barrel to the heavy bolter turns it into an autocannon. The probability of me using the heavy bolters as actual heavy bolters are slim at the moment and I don’t want the official autocannons in this army since I have them with my Night Lords (and they are a pain to magnetize):

Question remains if the barrel on the conversion is feasible. Adding a flash suppressor might make it more convincing but I can’t for the life of me figure out a good way to do it and then replicate it on all the barrels for the heavy bolters…

----

That is all for now, hopefully more to come sooner rather than later, cya!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 03-21-15 at 07:55 PM.
post #1250 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 10:20 AM

Interesting. I've got so used to the snub barrelled look that seeing a long barrel on a heavy bolter is disorienting.

Your dedication to the hobby is amazing, I think I'd go swiftly insane trying to approach your level of skill with green stuff and modelling... I mean, you individually did the fingers!

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode