Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 119 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1181 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-04-13, 05:25 AM

You sir, are a wizard. I started following this thread however long ago because I was (and still am) an avid Blood Angels fan. Honestly I think with any other blog if they switched from BA to another scheme I would lose interest - but not here. Your work is so amazing that even if its not the same chapter I play, its still very astounding. Keep up the good work!
-Arcticor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1182 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 02:01 PM

Dorns Legacy's Flag is: Great Britain

Been following your work for a while now and i have to say you are one of the most inspiratinal model painters/modders i have come across so big kudos to you :D

On a seperate note you were talking about one of your fav legions being the Alpha Legion, me too as well as the EC. Im currently re-reading the horus heresy books and am just about to finish Legion so im all up in their shiznit at the mo :D

The thing id have to say about the AL is like you said.....to much likeness to them, they hold secrecy in a high regard and plan with it in mind BUT although they all try to adhere to an extremely similer look there are a few selects that have a difference in appearence.

Take for example the Effrit Stealth Squad led by "Omegon" all black armour with minor details of silver and gold but not only this the first and second companies aswell as the Lernaean termi cohort are slightly different with Sheed Ranko being almost the same size and stature as the primarch s themselves (thats one big termi)

Without doubt one of the hardest Legions to add so ndividuality too for various members of the Legion but OH SO WORTH IT if it can be done tastefully.
id suggest maybe some first and second companyy squads Pech and Herzog leading the way and maybe the Effrit Stealth squad due to their differing colour scheme and defo the termis. Maybe some psykers and "operatives" (basic human cohorts) into the mix as they also seem to be very prominent in the AL war tactics.

As for the NH your getting stuck with keep it coming, that contemptor is off the hook and thats without paint.
Id defo carry on with the way your going with them but maybe try to implement some sort fearful aura to them, they are after all suppossed to be the embodiment of death and fear (well at least Cruze was) do they suffer the same sort of hellish nightmare premonitions their Primarch does or is soley his living nightmare that he has to endure.

Anyway im rambling now so ill stop keep it up and look forward to seeing more.
post #1183 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-10-13, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Xeon it's been a long time good to hear from you/notice that you were still going and as always you do not disappoint

Oh, I'd definately tell you all if I where giving the hobby up! Silence is usually just a sign of slow progress in my case. Recently it has been a case of me being lazy with the updates, probably because progress has been slow and in small increments so I've pushed them ahead of me continously. In any case I'm glad to see your still following the progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Oh I'm getting all tingly in my special places. That crest looks awesome. Really good to hear that your motivation is back for the boys from the night!

I like it when you get tingly my friend – or did that come out as way to sexual? I'm also glad to be back at the table in a more serious manner. Now it's just a matter of getting things done and finished – which, knowing myself, will probably take way to long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
Very Nice to see You're back Xeno. With some delicius details on the Dread.

Thank you, kind sir, I'm happy my dabblings are of the delicious kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Excellent work man! that contemptor is stunning, I love the GS work! I cant wait to see that thing painted!

Truth be told, neither can I, but there's still detailing left to do and then there's the manner of deciding how to paint it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Night Lords contemptor, awesome! Can't wait to see that bad boy painted up. Good to see some new work Xeno.

Aye, he's going to be a beast once done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticor View Post
You sir, are a wizard. I started following this thread however long ago because I was (and still am) an avid Blood Angels fan. Honestly I think with any other blog if they switched from BA to another scheme I would lose interest - but not here. Your work is so amazing that even if its not the same chapter I play, its still very astounding. Keep up the good work!
-Arcticor

Inspiration can come from any source. Limiting yourself to much in which projects you follow can be a bad thing in the long run. Many of the tips and tricks I've picked up for all my space marines have been stolen from non-space marine projects all over the internet. It's all about picking up the small things and turning them into something usefull for yourself. My work with the BA successors have surely laid the foundation that this project would even be possible, so many of the things I'm doing now as if they where the simplest things in the world I struggled a long time with just 2 years ago. You seldomly think about the progress you make but I'm constantly reminded of it as I go back and look over the content in this thread.

Glad I can keep you interested anyway, and hopefully I'll be able to do it for a long time to come still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorns Legacy View Post
Been following your work for a while now and i have to say you are one of the most inspiratinal model painters/modders i have come across so big kudos to you :D

On a seperate note you were talking about one of your fav legions being the Alpha Legion, me too as well as the EC. Im currently re-reading the horus heresy books and am just about to finish Legion so im all up in their shiznit at the mo :D

The thing id have to say about the AL is like you said.....to much likeness to them, they hold secrecy in a high regard and plan with it in mind BUT although they all try to adhere to an extremely similer look there are a few selects that have a difference in appearence.

Take for example the Effrit Stealth Squad led by "Omegon" all black armour with minor details of silver and gold but not only this the first and second companies aswell as the Lernaean termi cohort are slightly different with Sheed Ranko being almost the same size and stature as the primarch s themselves (thats one big termi)

Without doubt one of the hardest Legions to add so ndividuality too for various members of the Legion but OH SO WORTH IT if it can be done tastefully.
id suggest maybe some first and second companyy squads Pech and Herzog leading the way and maybe the Effrit Stealth squad due to their differing colour scheme and defo the termis. Maybe some psykers and "operatives" (basic human cohorts) into the mix as they also seem to be very prominent in the AL war tactics.

As for the NH your getting stuck with keep it coming, that contemptor is off the hook and thats without paint.
Id defo carry on with the way your going with them but maybe try to implement some sort fearful aura to them, they are after all suppossed to be the embodiment of death and fear (well at least Cruze was) do they suffer the same sort of hellish nightmare premonitions their Primarch does or is soley his living nightmare that he has to endure.

Anyway im rambling now so ill stop keep it up and look forward to seeing more.

Thank you for your kind works, even though it's shallow comments like that helps you push along and get things done.

About the Alpha Legion I still haven't quite finished reading Legion myself but I'm working on it (or through it is perhaps a better choice of words). When I get around to do a small contigency of Alpha Legion I'll dig as deep as I can and make it real good. Depending on where this years mystery release turns out to be (if it really is 28mm Inquisitor/Necromunda) I might start out with a small warband for that specifically and build on from there.

In either case I want to see the FW artwork and fluff pieces before I even start to plan the Alpha Legion pieces – I want them done right if I'm going to do them at all.

----

So... I had this awesome thread update planned for my birthday(08/08). As I was putting in the final words and was getting ready to post "the internet" (you know, the sentient being that rules us all?) decided it would have non of my blasphemy and so all my effort was for naught. A few seconds later I raged and a few seconds after that I decided just to celebrate my birthday and I had cake and all was well once more – till now that is.

Since the planned update was swallowed whole I feel obligated to produce an actual update and I do believe you'd all appreciate the one I had planned so this is my attempt to reproduce it once more. Be prepared for a long update with a lot of pictures and long blocks of text detailing the process and my thoughts concerning my Night Lord legion project. If your only purpose is to view pretty pictures there should be enough to sate your thirst for now.

Night Lords Legion Heavy Support with Autocannons

These are actually some of the FW heavy weapons I've held on to for the longest without building any of the marines to actually use them on. From the first time I saw them there was love in the air, one might say. The thing was that there where some mould misalignment issues on some of the backpacks and ammo-feed belts which I wanted to fix. As with many other things I "plan" to fix things tend to drag on for a long time and before you know it they've been pushed into the very furthest recesses of the WIP-drawers (or shelves as it would be in my case).

Anyway, the plan is to build up the entire 10-man squad of them, all with Autocannons (obviously). The sergeant is based on the recon miniatures (which I've come to use for many of my squad leaders because I like the effect the cloak gives along with the minor changes you can do to these specific miniatures in order to make them different enough to work well even if repeated in the army) and still requires minor adjustments with GreenStuff on the cloak specifically.

I'm glad the flat/plain shoulder pads gave me the opportunity to add the legion number to them (the idea was born just when I had recently received the brass numbers and wanted to give them a try). It breaks up the surface nicely and ties into the "legion era" in a convincing way. I'll most likely continue with the practice on other miniatures if the space for the numbers are present.

As I started to plan out my army I planned on not using any Mark V or newer suits at all in the army. For some reason FW felt otherwise and mistakenly sent me a bag of Mk V marines instead of a Contemptor arm, I e-mailed them and they told me to keep the set and sent me a replacement contemptor arm aswell (You have to love their customer support!). Since I now had the miniatures I felt it would be a shame not to use them so here they are!

Night Lords Tactical Support Squad with Meltaguns

Another squad more or less born from the many (and badly) moulded Recon squad marine sets I recieved. Having so many cloaked marines to spare I decided to tweak around with them and did minor changes to poses and interactions with their arms. This sergeant has a lot of minor adjustments but most of them are hidden by the arms and the tiny Mk III groin plate I gave him as a sign of seniority. The other members are just strait forward FW marines (kit-bashed) with Company Champion (plastic kit) shoulder pads. Although those pads aren't exactly Heresy era kosher I like the bulkier look they give the miniatures and I do think they interact well with a unit that's supposed to be "up close" mingling with heavy tanks and the fire-power they bring to bear.

Once the Night Lord specific sets are released I might add another 5 men to this unit to round them of and make them a "full" unit choice. If nothing else then for "completionists" sake (seeing as they are pretty hefty in the points department).

Night Lords Tactical Support Squad with Plasmaguns

Once again a squad leader emerged from the Recon marine set (useful kit that one). Another theme you might notice in these last two support squads is the presence of the Recon marine backpack on one member of each squad. I figured there would always be one member carrying a little extra batteries/ammo/fuel and similar items whereas the bulk of the squad would carry a more limited assortment of equipment. In my opinion it makes sense to carry a little extra with you in larger engagements since you never know what might happen and you might have your squad isolated – then again nothing in particular protects that squad member from being picked off first and getting all that extra bling ruined in the process but you can't be prepared for everything.

I must say that I like the crusade/heresy era plasma guns the best out of all the current special weapons available. They look so much more awesome than the plastic plasma guns and have an almost alien feeling to them which suits the technology. As you might notice one of the marines is holding his hand on top of the coils on the plasma guns – as if trying to get a feel for how hot his gun is (maybe it just overheated?) even though I would assume they'd get that information put into their visors/helmet/lenses it breaks up the monotony of the poses which is always welcome when you put your miniatures together.

As with the meltagun squadron these guys will most likely be recieving some reinforcements as time goes along and should reach 10-man strenght by that time.

Night Lords Legion Tactical Squadron with Bolters (10-man)

To compliment all the Mk IV units (support units) and Mk IV assault marine squads in the army I felt a Mk IV Tactical Squadron would be the perfect choice. This is probably the most straight forward unit in the army (apart from the Mk III tacticals slowly being painted). There are only minor adjustments to make them more unique, like using the arms from the Tank Crew set from FW (the Mk IV crew member holding a bolter) or the pieces spliced in from the Recon marine set (the adjusted sergeant, the backpacks, the helmets and such details sprinkled in to the mix). These guys are pretty much ready for painting apart from the antennas on the Nuncio-Vox caster and bits and bobs in their belts (grenades and pouches).

Night Lords Legion Heavy Support Squadron with Missile Launchers

One of the more recent WIPs are the Missile Launcher Devastators. I must say I like the look of these launchers a lot (and I like that the new HH whirlwind has launchers with a similar look). The launchers fit badly on the miniatures though and being somewhat of a perfectionist I find myself GreenStuffing a lot of padding to get a more realistic connection between the weapons and the shoulderpads. Not that much of a hassle compared to the minor mould alignment issues that have to be fixed as well. I considered repairing the messed up launcher I got (have about 10 in total) but as it turned out they are far from fixable without any major sculpting and I'll have to order another five to finish the squad (the five I have on the picture is the replacement set which where fairly good casts) once I have enough of a reason to put a FW order in (which, knowing myself will be sooner rather than later) and take them up to 10 marines.

Once again the squad leader is a modified Recon marine, this time with a heavily modified cloak using the "clay" trick in order to sculpt it seamlessly into the existing piece without it being a complete pain in the **** (thank you Warseer for that trick).

Night Lords Legion Command Squadron in Power Armour (with Standard Bearer) (Heavily WIP)

And it so happened that I ordered the World Eaters Ravager set even thought I had no particular use for most of the parts other than the weapons and the bodies. I had some kind of understanding with myself that I didn't want to use the Mk II armor – mostly since it has so many edges to paint which slows me down once I get to that stage of the hobby. But these guys just had far to many goodies to be passed by. The axes went to good use (more on that later) and I have some ideas for some of the chained weapons that might surface in this thread as we go along.

The bodies from the set was donated to a Power armoured command squad (because – why not?) and this is a rough mock-up of the squad as it stands right now. I've just done some minor repair work and started to progress on the standard-bearer. The wing is a leftover piece from another project and it's a place holder at the moment but it's groing on me so I might keep it, I do believe it fits in with the theme of the Legion.

Once I get some more casting done there will be a lot of winged mk II helmets in this squad. These guys are going to become quite pimped out as I go along (at least that's what I'm planning right now, things have been known to change drastically).

Night Lords Legion Terminator Squad with Combi-Bolters and Powerfists (magnetized)

First batch of the terminators. Spliced together from Cataphractii upper bodies and arms and Tartaros legs. There are still detailing left to do on the legs (I want edge details such as on the chestplates) on all the terminators in the army. All the arms are magnetized and they can therefore change weapons between pretty much all the possible configurations available).

Why mix the part from different kinds of terminators? It was actually an idea that started with my Praetor. You see I had the Minotaurs special characters and I had an extra set since there was some mould alignment issues with the first pair I got. With the spare parts I decided to play around a bit and put a Cataphractii torso on the chapter masters legs and the idea was born. I then decided that he would need a command squad (first just 3 miniatures) then I figured I might as well make it a full squad (5-man). Then I converted one of them into a consul so I decided to add some more which oddly took them up to 8-men + Praetor. By then I figured that if I bought just a few more I'd have a command squad and a normal terminator squadron... Now I have 12 of these in total – Praetor + Consul + Command squad (5-men) + Terminator squad (5-man). It's a slippery slope I tell you.

Night Lords Legion Command Squad in Terminator armour (with Standard Bearer + musician)(magnetized)

The Pimpinators to follow the Praetor into battle. Same formula as the other terminators but the legs are taken from the Deathshroud terminators instead. Many of you probably recognize the Standard bearer although in this picture he's pretty much unarmed (just fooling around with the magnetized arms really). There are some new members here with GreenStuffed details (did a quick copy of the Death Shroud groin plates to add to one of the miniatures for visual coherency in the squadron).

Night Lords Legion Consul Forge Lord in Terminator Armour (Heavy WIP) (magnetized)

Now here's an experiment still in research and development. The ring on his shoulder pad is going to be the mounting for a servo-arm once I decide which one to use (or try once again to build one myself even though I failed miserably the first time). The shield is obviously lacking detailing. Right now the only thing being closed to done is the axe, but knowing myself well enough I'll probably find space to add some more details on it later on. The 3+ inv save will be represented by the storm shield visually, but in the rules it's a combination of a cyber-familiar and the Cataphractii armour. I might add a plastic crow from the Empire general set to the miniatures left shoulder pad anyway just to add more character... We'll see.

Night Lords Legion Praetor in Terminator Armour with Paragon Blade (magnetized)

Most of you have seen this guy. In this photo he's posing with a lightning claw and his paragon blade. Although I'd never give him both (don't even think you can) when playing him I think it adds a certain kind of oomph that suits a high-ranking commander. There are still some minor stuff to do on him when it comes to green stuff but that's mostly decorations in order to get the right legion look.

I think that's more than enough of an update for now. I do hope there was something to your liking and that you're all eager to see more as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to leave a comment with ideas and suggestions!

Till next time

post #1184 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-10-13, 01:38 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Night Lords! Awesome Great project log by the way, the wait is worth the updates.
post #1185 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-10-13, 03:15 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Get woken up by ipad sliding of bed onto floor: "RAEG!"

Check Heresy to make sure it works, see Xeno's fecking huge update on my favourite pre Heresy legion Legion: "All is right with the world!"

Love the recon marines as sergeants. Really nice work on the Terminators, are you keeping the flamers on the few deathshroud arms you are using? Have you got plans for the cataphractii legs/tarataros bodies? Going down a kit bash route for them as well?
post #1186 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-11-13, 05:28 AM

wow, xeno, that is some seriously impressive work you've got there. it's always amazing and totally worth the wait. can't wait for them to be painted (hint hint)
post #1187 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-12-13, 06:25 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

As always excellent work. You're log is always a source of creative inspiration, though at this point I rarely have any time to do miniatures work.

What is your process for basing these guys going to be? I see cork bits and some textured filler. Is that the Vallejo textured paints, another product, or your own mixture?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #1188 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 12:05 AM

wolflordthor's Flag is: Germany

Love the cloaks on the marines, but your terminators.... That praetor is breathtaking, you never fail to get awesome models done!
post #1189 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-22-13, 02:04 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

You continue to amaze me with your blood angels successor chapter.
post #1190 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-16-13, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Night Lords! Awesome Great project log by the way, the wait is worth the updates.
As long as there are updates every now and then I guess I can agree with that sentiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Get woken up by ipad sliding of bed onto floor: "RAEG!"

Check Heresy to make sure it works, see Xeno's fecking huge update on my favourite pre Heresy legion Legion: "All is right with the world!"

Love the recon marines as sergeants. Really nice work on the Terminators, are you keeping the flamers on the few deathshroud arms you are using? Have you got plans for the cataphractii legs/tarataros bodies? Going down a kit bash route for them as well?
Glad to ease your pain there ;)

I bought most of the terminator pieces on a piece by piece basis, so I actually have no left over bits from the terminator kits. I don't think a kitbash between cataphractii legs and tartaros bodies will look that convincing to be honest - just my gut feeling though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticor View Post
wow, xeno, that is some seriously impressive work you've got there. it's always amazing and totally worth the wait. can't wait for them to be painted (hint hint)
Painting will resume in the later part of October. Painted pictures probably up somewhere around November as I start to get miniatures done. We'll see how well I manage to stick to that plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
As always excellent work. You're log is always a source of creative inspiration, though at this point I rarely have any time to do miniatures work.

What is your process for basing these guys going to be? I see cork bits and some textured filler. Is that the Vallejo textured paints, another product, or your own mixture?
Basing process is pretty easy. I bought a giant piece of cork bark from a zoo shop (used for snake/lizzard environments I believed). I think I paid like 1,5£ for a piece that has lasted me for about 150x25mm bases, 16x40 mm bases and around 20x60 mm bases - and as a matter a fact I still have a huge chunk left!

Then I fill the gaps with a custom mix of texture paints from GW (since I had them from the mega paint set I bought) along with some vallejo primer (for colour adjustment), sand, coarse basing flock (for pebbles and rock) and finally PVA glue. Should be mixed to a paintable consistency and then just apply it with a scrap brush that you don't care about. It's basically home made Texture paint (you don't need to have GW texture paint in the mix, I just wanted to use mine up before I made something else). Before the stuff dries I put some watch gears in there or maybe even some resin skulls or helmets (whatever I feel like).

The plan is to paint the bases with a suitable earth tone and then add a similar pigment to dust up the legs of the marines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflordthor View Post
Love the cloaks on the marines, but your terminators.... That praetor is breathtaking, you never fail to get awesome models done!
There has been a lot of work put into that preator, even more since those pictures where taken, I'm going to have to make a complete run through once he's complete - it's been a labour of love though, that much I can assure you!

There will also be some quirkiness with that "Forge-Lord" terminator, I recently got some parts from FW that I'm going to use on him, but I'm putting that off for now since I have so many other conversions running atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post
You continue to amaze me with your blood angels successor chapter.
These aren't for my blood angel successors though...

----

Short update, a lot of minor projects moving along side by side these days, minor greenstuff adjustments and tweaks going on at the same time. I've been mostly bed ridden for the last week due to a hellish "man-cold", just got back to work today (probably a day or two to soon but can't be away from work more right now) and it has surely taken a toll on me. Figured I get something up not to lose my momentum completely.

First up is my third (yeah, I haven't shown you the second one yet) contemptor dreadnought, being transformed from the Death Guard one into a brutal warmachine for the VIII legion. I spent ages making that chainfist with retractable chains (think of it as drill heads that can be "detached" and used as wrecking balls if needed), still not 100% sure if I like it with the chains like that. I also don't know how the superglued chains will look once they get paint on them but they can't be that much worse than original plastic/resin chains from GW/FW kits so that should be ok.

Obviously still working on the detailing on this dreadnought but I'm getting somewhere with the skeleton. Right now I'm pondering what gruesome trophies to add to where, more skulls to come and probably a pelt and maybe even some human skins, we shall see. I have to let the entire concept sink in before I do something silly.

Next up is three of my 6 Rapier Laser Destroyer crew members. I didn't like them standing slaved to the Rapiers via a lever and a hard-wire so I figured I'd give them all remote control access to the buggers - therefore all 6 crew members have the Master of Signal wrist computers on them (some of them posed to actually use them, others with them closed doing other stuff). These are the crew members that are mostly done, the others are lacking shoulderpads (oddly enough I ran out of the mk III type, more are ordered though so I should have them soon).

Finally we have these two guys. They started out their careers as kneeling recon marines, but since I had two sets of them I wanted to try and do something different to shake the units up - simply put I decided to see if I could make them stand instead. So far so good I would say. I'm obviously going to need to resculpt huge parts of their cloaks but with my recently found method that should be doable. These guys will most likely be promoted to squad leaders for my final 2 support squads (flamers and volkites) but much could happen before those decisions need to be made.

Till next time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode