Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 111 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1101 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-25-12, 12:00 PM

Lethiathan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Xeno,

We seem to both have decided to get an airbrush at the same time, and after watching Mini War Gaming's DVDs on airbrushing it's really down to what you WANT from an airbrush over brands ect. The one that DoE recommended is a great airbrush, but does it have what you WANT from an airbrush, If so then buy it, we know your pockets never seem to be empty of money... But remember that an airbrush is just a single part of the entire set up, you'll need compressors, regulators, valves.... often costing a lot of money. From what you said the airbrush DoE recommended should be more than competant, but DoE is the expert not me =-)

World's Worst Project-Logger.

Slightly Derranged, would advice staying away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1102 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-30-12, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
the Firebelly is turning out even better than I had envisioned mate!!! The bionic arm came out fantastic. Something I have noticed about other scratch builds is a lack of symmetry and balance that is found in the humanoid form. You however, have really captured that symmetry in a very dynamic way with this piece. Well done mate, seriously.
I hate to be proud of my own work and give myself a pat on the back, but I agree with that sentiment. Although I did cheat on the construction of the bionic arm somewhat, I looked for inspiration on the smaller servitor miniatures and then mixed that with my basic knowledge of human anatomy - I'm just happy I managed to piece it together in the end because it was my absolute first attempt at something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethiathan View Post
Xeno,

We seem to both have decided to get an airbrush at the same time, and after watching Mini War Gaming's DVDs on airbrushing it's really down to what you WANT from an airbrush over brands ect. The one that DoE recommended is a great airbrush, but does it have what you WANT from an airbrush, If so then buy it, we know your pockets never seem to be empty of money... But remember that an airbrush is just a single part of the entire set up, you'll need compressors, regulators, valves.... often costing a lot of money. From what you said the airbrush DoE recommended should be more than competant, but DoE is the expert not me =-)
Indeed. There are lots of parts to the set-up, not only the brush and compressor (along with hoses) but also cleaning supplies, paints, thinners and a booth or similar locale suitable for spraying so you don't end up breathing in all the fumes. I have some of that stuff but most of it will be needed to be bought as well.

I wouldn't say my pockets never seem to be empty. I have my limits, as we all do. It's just that right now I have a more disposable income then I used to have (thanks to some fortuitous circumstances and a lot of saving earlier in my life). I also seldom spend money on "other" stuff (I don't drink alcohol, I almost never eat out and so on). My biggest investments have been for creative tools such as my DSLR-camera (and lenses for it), paints and supplies for sculpting (clay, soapstone, watercolours, sculpting tools and so on), scanner and now an airbrush set-up. As DoE mentions you quickly learn that "good" tools are important because bad tools limits your progression (because you have a hard time telling if your using the tool incorrectly or if the tool itself is sub par). Good tools doesn't necessarily have to be the most expensive ones though, which is a though lesson to learn sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
Xeno,
Again, great looking conversion work buddy. Sorry to hear about your burn out, I know the feeling, as do most others. Good luck with those Daemons!

As for the Airbrush...well I will swear by it, but I think the Infinity 2-in-1 Harder and Steenbeck is one of the greatest Airbrushs. I picked one up and have never had any issues with it. The controls and spray are flawless. Djinn even went with my recommendation, it really is a quality airbrush and you being an artisit know that quality tools are important...(link attached)

Anyways, stay motivated and good luck with the choices!

Regards,
DoE
I'm very thankful for your suggestion, DoE, I take personal experience from people I "know" (for lack of a better definition when it comes to persons you exchange hobby related thoughts with on a forum?) in high regards when looking for different alternatives.

So, in light of your first suggestion, I spent the entire weekend looking up different tutorials and suggestion (on Google, Youtube, CMON, Airbrushing forums (cars/t-shirts/miniatures (of all kinds)) and so on) I was still a little baffled about the entire situation since some of the suggestions where in direct contradiction to each other. Although the people I trust the most did have the same suggestions which therefore weighed more compared to random single comments.

Having decided a rough budget (400£) I went hunting on the web. I quickly learned that buying domestic equipment (ie from Sweden) would ruin me if I wanted anything in the mid-high price range. Therefore I started to look for suitable alternatives and found some in the UK which saves me from import taxes AND we have the same Volt and Hz in our power grids so I could just change the power cord connector thingie and it would work here in Sweden.

I looked up suitable alternatives which ended up at around 450£, which made me somewhat reluctant at first so I decided to wait a couple of days. As if by magic the day after I discovered a discounted combined set-up in the "deals for this month"-section which offered my preferred set-up for a hefty 80£ discount (including some extra pieces!). Then I realized that was a sign for me to go ahead and make my hefty investment:

"This kit includes the following items:

1 x Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CRplus 2 in 1 Airbrush (0.15mm & 0.4mm Headsets)
1 x 3 metre Hose Assembly
1 x DHL-TC-620 Sparmax Mini Piston Compressor With 3.5 Litre Tank
1 x Harder & Steenbeck Table Top Airbrush Stand
1 x Harder & Steenbeck Quick Release Coupling with Air Flow Control
1 x Harder & Steenbeck Airbrush Workshop DVD"

Although I "saved" 80£ on the deal I quickly ate that "profit" up with extra peripherals, the tab ended at around 500£. A lot of money but considering I've put about 1400£ into my DSLR it's not that big of a deal. As long as the equipment holds up to the promised standard and I can maintain them they should last for a long time.

So thank you for the suggestion, DoE, I will personally haunt you if the airbrush fails me, no pressure

----

I've also managed to get some work done on all my different Henchmen projects. I started to look at some Acolyte alternatives since I'd like some assault weapons in the squads (and some cannon fodder) and I think this quick mock-up of an imperial guard with a head swap and a lion cloak is a good start. I'm going to have to cut the cloak up somewhat to give it a slicker fit but I think it will look good in the end and add some "pimpin'" to them (they are after all Inquisitorial guardsmen):

I've also finally been able to produce enough heads for these guys. I've also started to green stuff the gaps and just add some minor details to them. All their helmets will require cutting and re-sculpting so I've got a lot of that to look forward to...

And finally we have the finishing touches on the Firebelly. I did the cable connection on the back of the head, repaired some lost details on the foot bandage. As a little extra detail and twist I put some skulls on the smoke cloud as an homage to the miniatures fantasy heritage (and to be honest anything Warhammer related - SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!):

----

I hope you all like this minor update and hopefully I'll have something new to show you guys in about a week from now. Till then

Last edited by xenobiotic; 08-31-12 at 10:51 AM.
post #1103 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 02:15 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Haven't posted here for a long while, but glad to see it's still going from strength to strength. You are a true artist sir

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #1104 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 09:16 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
You are a true artist sir
Indeed.

WOOT! I'm nearly 100% positive you will enjoy your new baby very much...except that the compressor is a little MASSIVE!

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #1105 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 10:43 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I like the skulls in the flame.

The lion cloak has potential; I await the reshaping.
post #1106 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 12:40 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

This is very close to the airbrush setup I've got... You won't be disappointed

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!
post #1107 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 12:58 PM

Lethiathan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Now this is why I say you have pockets of money, I would be eaten alive for spending £500 on anything remotley like a set of figures :D

World's Worst Project-Logger.

Slightly Derranged, would advice staying away.
post #1108 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 02:35 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethiathan View Post
Now this is why I say you have pockets of money, I would be eaten alive for spending £500 on anything remotley like a set of figures :D
Well seeing that the 500 quid was on a superior airbrush set up and not figures I think he did very well. I didn't have the extra cash to get the Harder & Steenbeck when I was looking at my airbrush, but if I had that is the one that I wouldhave gotten. As DoE said you should not be disappointed by its performance.

Like Dave I really enjoy the addition of the skulls in the flames. Something about the lion cloak on the one henchman doesn't sit quite right with me, but since I can't really put my finger on what it is and since you have mentioned that it will undergo some reshaping and whatnot, I will simply wait to see what happens.

I love the look of that mystic conclave, those gas mask heads look great on those bodies and will really make for a stunning looking unit once all finished up.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #1109 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Hello, everyone!

To get you all up to date on what's been going on since last time I've compiled all the recent posts made into this big one - note that some of the questions and statements in these blocks may be invalid as of now (but I can't be arsed to remove them at the moment). I just want you to see the process I went through before I hit you with the more recent work.

-----

From 20121002

What I have been doing, mostly to finally get a chance to try my airbrush out and see what kind of possibilities where available to me, was to put some color on my Caestus Assault Ram – more specifically the interior details. I got a lot of inspiration from the Imperial Armour Masterclass Volume One which I’ve been reading back to front (along with Volume Two). Basically it’s Kommando Khaki airbrushed sparingly over a black undercoat and then highlighted with Skull White. Then there’s some chipping applied with Scorched Brown / Chaos Black. After that I painted all the metallic details with Boltgun Metal and once that was done put Gloss Varnish on top before trying out some Oil Washes. I have to say I’m very impressed with the Oil Wash technique even though it’s a bit of a hassle to work with White Spirits since I need to use a mask so I’m not breathing in the stuff for hours – but I use one when I airbrush anyway so not much of a problem really. The preliminary results can be viewed here. Personally I prefer this off-white interior over a completely metallic version which I find lacks… Something. I will most likely go for something similar on my drop pod interiors.

I’m also considering trying out the hairspray weathering technique on the drop pod doors (the inside sto start with) to see if I can achieve that realistic 3D-chipping effect that’s all the rave these days. Hopefully all these ideas will actually lead to something being finished rather than just me trucking along and heading straight for another burn-out.

It's also been a semi-productive night on the infantry department. I've been playing with the airbrush to see what my limited skills with the tool can achieve at this point in time. Also toying with the idea to keep the concept of the Void Sharks (and see where it goes) but make the colours more airbrush and weathering friendly (since I really want to delve into the weathering aspect of the hobby). This is what the evening gave me after some trials:

I must say at first I was not impressed with my results at all. It was far too bright and grainy (which is my own fault because I didn't thin the pink coat enough and lowered the PSI far too much so it splattered a bit - anyway, water under a bridge and all that, you live and you learn) and I was just getting nightmarish visions about how I won't be able to do the tiny space patterns on my marines now and everything was just going straight to H.

Then again, after looking at the miniature for a while and comparing it to my Tyberos miniature I think I came to understand why I was so disappointed - it isn't because I don't like the gradual shifting in the tones of the armour but rather that I'm so hard pressed into the edge highlight mould that I can't appreciate my own creations without having all the edges highlighted - which beats the point of using an airbrush in the first place. So, while I'm still not sure of the actual tone of the purple I'm a bit more positive overall. The one thing that will be easier with this tone is any weathering effects which will actually show up using normal methods (weathering black is a bitch as we all know). Also any stars and/or tiny patterns can still be freehanded on afterwards so I don't know what I was thinking there really.

On another note - hope you like the new backdrop because I like it and I figure I might stick to them for now on if there aren't any wild complaints about them.

----

From 20121004:

So, after another couple of hizzy-fits I feel like there has been no actual progress made so far. I'm still combating with the airbrush, although learning a lot in the process I'm still somewhat lacking results to keep my motivation up high. I'm probably approaching the issue from a wrong angle and trying to see results far to early in the process. It's possible that the effects I'm looking for won't be visible till after weathering but it's hard to know if your doing step 2 and 3 right if you get that nagging feeling that you aren't doing so well after all.

I had this idea that I was going to move away from the combination of blue and purple since I felt the blue wasn't really working all that well with the purple when airbrushed on. My first thought was purple and black but as we all know black isn't all that easy to paint realistically so I was instead aiming for a dark grey. However I did get a little frisky with the trigger finger and it turned out more like a mid-tone grey rather than a dark grey. The camera is also not doing me any favours since it pretty much turned the gradient into a big grey blob, anyway, enough talking:

I want more contrast in the grey (darker and lighter). It's possible that said contrast will show up once I put an oil wash on there, possibly combine it with a tiny edge highlight as well, so I think I'm going to try that approach when I continue tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure on the combination of colours, if things continue to be this hard for me I might actually give in and do a single colour scheme on the infantry just to give my mind some rest because it's annoying as hell for me to get these results (or lack there of).

Any thoughts and bits of input are most welcomed as usual.
Hopefully I'll have some progress to show tomorrow.

----

From 20121005

I find the combination somewhat soothing but still interesting enough although dangerously close to being boring. I think a split with yellow and grey would have been more striking and "in your face" combination but then again I wasn't aiming for that effect (although I must say I like it in some ways). It's hard to keep at it when you're unsure or when you feel that there are other combinations that perhaps would lend themselves to the technique better. But at the same time I'm trying to keep the vehicles in mind and any possibilities given to me by the weathering process and the pigment choice I have there. I think that this scheme would look great on vehicles and which also provide me with enough surface to do some of my freehanding on (I want them space patterns damnit!). I dunno, I just have a nagging feeling that it's a bit boring at the moment.

About the helmets I considered doing them in the split scheme but then painting the grills with skulls like the Night Lords do. Not sure which other way there is to paint them in a lighter colour without making it look odd and misplaced really...

I did manage to get some work done tonight but not much. I settled for some paint chips on the armour and a few extra edge highlights to see where that would take me, I'm starting to warm up to the idea but I think the rest of the process is what will tie it all together (and that entails markings in white, oil washes and finally pigments):

Another way to get more life into the miniatures is to add details such as bionics with cables which can then be "warning striped" (yellow/black) which will add that tiny amount of yellow which will compliment superbly with the purple (I think). I'm not prepared to give up just yet, I just need to find ways to wrap my head around the idea and make it work (or at least finish one miniature before I give it a good analysis).

While on that subject, is there any source available on pre-heresy markings for Space Marines? I'm having trouble finding reference material and I don't have my HH:B book yet so can't check there for inspiration.

Your suggestions and thoughts welcomed and encouraged as per usual.

----

From 20121011

So... I got my HH:B book and I've been fiddling around a bit. Decided to try something completely different. Sadly my current photo set-up washes out the colours but here's a WIP of what I'm working on at the moment.

More progress later tonight (hopefully).

----

From 20121011

So I did try out some new techniques on the NL marine, mainly Oil-washes on the torso+legs to see what kind of shading and muting effect I could get out of it. I wasn't all that impressed with the wash on this particular scheme though, I think it's better suited for other combinations of colours. The blue I'm doing right now reacted better to traditional washing techniques (GW washes/shades) so if I'm going to make more of these guys I'm probably not going to shade them with a black oil wash (other than the vehicles which are a different subject matter) - you live and you learn, that's what the test miniature is for.

I am also going to have to redo the lightning patterns because they where way muted and dulled by the oil wash and the varnish layers, they need to pop out to add some interest.

Well, I'll be done with this test miniature soon hopefully and if it goes according to the plan I'm going to do more Mk III Night Lords after that.

Comments and thoughts are welcomed as always!

----

From 20121014

So, I noticed I forgot to do the verdigris on the shoulder pad trims but otherwise this is pretty much as finished as I'm willing to make the miniature at the moment since I haven't decided on legion markings and symbols just yet I feel that I'll just wait a while (possibly even till the next book comes out which will hopefully portray the 8th legion in all their glory).

Now that I've one miniature painted I guess I'll have to finish the entire squad? Lacking some parts though, probably need to buy more parts from FW... Or maybe I should paint my 3 ironclad dreadnoughts (sadly not MK IV dreads but I'll do them in the NL scheme anyway)?

----

As you can see I'm considering going down the heresy-era Night Lord legion route. I find that they fit the army I'd like to play (both in 30k and 40k) and I'll be using the HH:B ruleset for them for now but possibly bleed into the SM codex as well later on (yeh, I know they are traitors in 40k but I don't want to play them as CSM so hush).

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-26-12 at 10:53 AM.
post #1110 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 06:38 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Wow I really like the way you did up that night lord! Looks sharp! That will be one intimidating army!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode