Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 04:59 AM

love your tycho, how do you do your muddy weathering? oh, and +rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Mud & How to Make a Beakie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
Absolutley great stuff! I really do like these. I don't normally like weathering but you pull it off so well that i can't help but like it haha.

How many points do you plan to do altogether?
Thanks for the continuing support!

I have 4 major milestones for this project:
1. Playable army (Achieved)
2. 1000 pt army (300 to go)
3. 2000 pt army
4. See the list in the revised first post (mostly to fill a display cabinet with goodies).

We'll see how long I can keep my motivation up. I have other warhammer 40k projects and other artistic things I wish to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Awesome sauce mate, a very nice army pic

The weathering on vespillo is brilliant, but it makes the rest of your guys look really clean now
I know I'm going to have to rough them up a bit, make them one of the cleaner squads, maybe mix them up with the others as I make more. I'll come up with something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talthewicked View Post
Great work ... I like your version of Tyco better than GW's. Keep it going man, you are on a badass roll.
Thank you, glad you like him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masstadon View Post
These guys look AWESOME nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosJunkie View Post
love your tycho, how do you do your muddy weathering? oh, and +rep
My MUD is an experiment based on the Imperial Armour Masterclass Volume One book.
Recipe:
2 parts tap water
1 part Devlan Mud wash
2 parts Grey Ash weathering powder (from FW)
If you want the mud darker - use another weathering powder or more Devlan mud wash in the mix.

On tanks:
Paint it into grooves and armour plate recesses.
Then I flick it onto the tank (takes some practice to get it right) to give it the splattered look.

On miniatures:
Carefully paint the mix on with a small brush (thinking about grooves and such where dirt would collect).

Good thing about this mix is that if you get to much on the miniature (something you notice once it's dried) you can go over it with a wet brush (you have to rub it a bit to get the pigments of) and that way you can remove the excess!

And another thing someone asked for way back which I forgot about:
How to make a "BEAKIE" (out of just about any helmet):

To show you the principle I'll show you on a corvus helmet first
You'll need -
Helmet
Scalpel/Knife
GreenStuff
Pointy clay shaper

Start by cutting of the round shape of the corvus helmet (see second pic). This gives you a basic shape to put your green stuff on (when making a beakie out of a non-corvus pattern helmet you need to build this basic shape up yourself otherwise you risk getting a crooked and uneven looking beak).

Put on your GreenStuff, use your fingers to get a smooth and pointy shape. Take your time, you might even benefit from letting the GreenStuff harden 30 min - 1 hour before you try to get the shape right.

After letting the green stuff harden a bit more (about 1½-2 hours from initial mixing) you take your pointy tool and make nostrils for your beak. This might take a few attempts to get right, but it's worth it. You might have to redo the whole beak before you get what you want.

For inspiration about shape and what to aim for, look at pictures of different birds. The implementation of the general idea has many possibilities.

Sadly, I appeared to have lost one of the stages of the non-corvus helmet (on the first pictures):

The biggest difference here is that you first have to remodel the mask by cutting pieces from it (so that they wont ruin your beak shape) and then build up a basic shape again for the final layer to rest on.

I hope that you can extrapolate a good enough tutorial by combining the corvus part with the non-corvus part. Feel free to ask if I didn't explain something good enough.

----

Project:
I've been working on a test miniature all day, hopefully I'll be able to post him tomorrow.

----

Another thing, does anyone know about any bitz or kits (any kits or bits, even non-warhammer boxes) that contain small birds or birdlike creatures?
I'm looking for something to base conversions of and I'd appreciate any input in the matter!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added new tutorial picture.
post #93 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 09:16 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

There is a crow in the plastic WHFB Empire general box, cyber raven on the old metal Njial Stormcaller. Another option is Rackham Confrontation, theres a celt type mini with falcons some of which are seperate.

post #94 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 10:01 PM

I's sure i just overlooked it somewhere, but is there anyway you could give a quick walkthrough on how you did the stone on the dred? Is effing amazing
post #95 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 10:56 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

The count as Tycho looks really great! I really like how he turned out. "Thumbs up"

Edit: seens I have to "spread some rep....", oh well
post #96 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 01:14 AM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

These look excellent! You've made my least favourite chapter look good (or at least you made their successors look good )

As for birds, of course the everloving Coteaz has that two-headed eagle on his arm that you can probably chop off easily.

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #97 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Vash View Post
There is a crow in the plastic WHFB Empire general box, cyber raven on the old metal Njial Stormcaller. Another option is Rackham Confrontation, theres a celt type mini with falcons some of which are seperate.
Thanks alot for reminding me about that crow!

I've had the empire general box lying around which proved to be a goldmine of things I could use (in conjunction with some feathers from the other empire boxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiehawk View Post
I's sure i just overlooked it somewhere, but is there anyway you could give a quick walkthrough on how you did the stone on the dred? Is effing amazing
I'll try to remember to take some pictures when I do it next time, a block of text probably wouldn't be very helpful, even if it's pretty quickly done with out of the pot colours and washes. Poke me should I forget about it xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
The count as Tycho looks really great! I really like how he turned out. "Thumbs up"

Edit: seens I have to "spread some rep....", oh well
Your advice helped me through, glad you like him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
These look excellent! You've made my least favourite chapter look good (or at least you made their successors look good )

As for birds, of course the everloving Coteaz has that two-headed eagle on his arm that you can probably chop off easily.
Heh, one must keep an open mind sometimes? Thanks!

----

So, I haven't finished anything just yet, but I've been full of creativity nonetheless. I've started painting my death company (need more troop units for a campaign my group is starting soon) so here is where I'm at:

Does the dirty white work in this amount? Should I maybe make the arms red? Give me your opinion and input and I'll take it into consideration!

----

I'll leave with this teaser - mostly as a thanks for the tips:

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 03:02 PM.
post #98 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 10:50 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

Aww I hate teasers, makes me wanna see more.....

The death company model:
I like how you use much "dirt", as it emphasises (spelling lol?) the fact that it is the death company. They should/could look a kinda dirty and gritty, as it fits their "nature"
Red arms could be a good idea, though it would detract from the red crosses, which is imo a really bad thing.
It is impossible to say without seeing it together with the rest of your force, but I have a feeling that he should be exactly like he is now (awesomesauce). He is really distinguished from the rest of your army, while still keeping the same feel

All my own speculations of course

Now do what I have always failed at, paint moar!
post #99 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-10-10, 03:29 AM

Masstadon's Flag is: USA

haha d00d i totally agree with my fellow Norwegian above me! the large amount of dirt goes with the death company! and it looks AWESOME! please...please tell me how you painted that model... i must know. and Ehh to the red arms.. i mean yeah it could be a cool idea but hes right it could detract form the red crosses. it looks amazing as it is! keep up the amazing awesome work!!!
post #100 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Default First member of the Ember Enraged (Death Company Marines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
Aww I hate teasers, makes me wanna see more.....

The death company model:
I like how you use much "dirt", as it emphasises (spelling lol?) the fact that it is the death company. They should/could look a kinda dirty and gritty, as it fits their "nature"
Red arms could be a good idea, though it would detract from the red crosses, which is imo a really bad thing.
It is impossible to say without seeing it together with the rest of your force, but I have a feeling that he should be exactly like he is now (awesomesauce). He is really distinguished from the rest of your army, while still keeping the same feel

All my own speculations of course

Now do what I have always failed at, paint moar!
I shall try to paint more, but I'm having trouble actually finishing things As you'll see on the first post of the thread I have a lot left to do and many units started, ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masstadon View Post
haha d00d i totally agree with my fellow Norwegian above me! the large amount of dirt goes with the death company! and it looks AWESOME! please...please tell me how you painted that model... i must know. and Ehh to the red arms.. i mean yeah it could be a cool idea but hes right it could detract form the red crosses. it looks amazing as it is! keep up the amazing awesome work!!!
Thank you both for the input, as a token of gratitude you shall have cookies.. Erh, I mean pictures!

----

Severus served with the Birds of Paradise since his inductions. Some claim he joined the ranks of the chapter upon it's very creation as a successor of the Blood Angels. Being around at the time when Sanguinus where still alive to bless his faithful champions of the Emperor. Many marines believe this just to be fool-hearted superstition yet some of them secretly carry with them the hope that at least some pieces of these stories are true.

He carries with him a veil of mysteries and his name have been mentioned more than once in the hall of heroes. Phoenixes has blessed him on countless occasions and his valiant service has yielded a fierce reputation for his Chapter amongst the inhabitants of the sector, friend and foe alike.

Sadly Severus himself no longer talks about the past. As he slipped into the Ember decades ago, he pushed his faith closer to true fanaticism and dedicated his flickering ashes to the Emperor and Sanguinus. As his final wish his armour was painted white and his birds of honour returned to the chaplains as he joined the ranks of Ember Enraged.

----

Battle-Brother, Severus, of the Ember Enraged (Death Company Marine):

C&C welcome!

----

I also took advantage of my teaser project to take better pictures on how to make a beakie, so I will add this strip to the tutorial above:

Tutorial for dirty white coming up as I paint the other Death Company marines!

Till next time!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 03:02 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode