A Plastic Crack Addiction. SWs, Knights, DG, Necromunda, and more. - Page 36 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

349Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #351 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 11:41 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

That cyborg face kinda screams "use me in a Tycho conversion", not gunna lie

Lookin' pretty tight, though if I could make a critical offering some of your grey highlights on the black armour look a little rushed. It's a bit of a personal thing, but I'm a fan of washing black (with black, though feel free to mix in some blue or purple) for a bit of a muted shine and letting the room's/natural lighting do the rest. I find that in pictures and in real life it looks a lot less...I dunno, forced?...than any kind of grey edge highlights I've ever done or seen (barring some serious wet blending or select airbrush work). For reference, none of the Necrons in my plog (link in sig) have any highlighting at all done on the black.

Oh! I had a thought about your purity seal conundrum. Maybe do it more like Morse code, random dot-squiggly line-dot patterns for each line of text? Also I found when using the pigment pens that since they were such a bold colour I would save my highlights for after I did the lettering, then do a light drybrush of my highlight colour over top of everything to subdue the black.

In any case I look forward to seeing your work progress, pal
Khorne's Fist likes this.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-13-17, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Oh! I had a thought about your purity seal conundrum. Maybe do it more like Morse code, random dot-squiggly line-dot patterns for each line of text?
I didn't bother with the pens in the end. I just washed the parchment with sepia and gave it another light dry brush of bone. It took the stark edges off the black ink enough for me to live with.
ntaw likes this.
post #353 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-13-17, 09:14 PM

The Deathwatch are looking great - I love the kitbashed heavy weapons - very cool indeed

post #354 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-21-17, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Unfortunately work has crimped my style in the last week or more, I'm off all this weekend while the missus is in work, (looking forward to the peace) so hoping to catch up a bit.

I was going to save this lad until later as a treat to myself, but seeing the subject of this months painting competition has inspired me to get him done. I swapped the claw for the fist from the venerable dread, which meant I had to rejig the position of the storm bolter to the wrist. I also magnetised the weapons, including a plasma cannon I had lying around.

I am also open to suggestions about what chapter it should be from, bearing in mind it has to be one that has a decal or symbol available that I can put on the right shoulder, whether it be GW or not. I'm leaning towards Relictors or Exorcists, something not usually seen, but again, I'm limited by what symbols are available.

Old Man78 likes this.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 03-21-17 at 10:41 PM.
post #355 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-24-17, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

I got a bit done today. First up, some minor conversion work on the BA from Kill Team Cassius. I added the jump pack and inferno pistol from the BA chaplain to him. I was going to use the RG Dark Fury jump packs on the whole squad, but I decided to keep them back for whenever I get back to my Night Lord project.

I also managed to get my first legal squad completed. In an effort to get the army done and on the table in a timely fashion I'm going for a quick and easy scheme on the troops that looks good from 3 feet, and saving the serious effort for the more centre-piece units like the HQs, dreadnoughts, etc.

EDIT: It's amazing how many little mistakes jump out at you when you see your minis on a computer screen at about three or four times their scale. Looks like I have some finishing touches to add to these guys.

I have decided that my Night Wolf conversion I did for my SWs over two years ago, but never painted, is going to be repurposed as a Corvus Blackstar. I've ordered the Crusader sprue to get the TL ass cannon sponson, but I might just paint it up in the mean-time. I can justify it because there's a tidbit in the codex about the DW possessing every type of SM flyer ever made.

Quote:
The war hangars of the Deathwatch are replete with every kind of aircraft the Adeptus Astartes have ever sanctioned.
Page 44, DW codex.

Old Man78 likes this.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 03-24-17 at 10:23 PM.
post #356 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 12:47 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

More stellar work, I'm beginning to dislike You! Particularly liking the Dark Angel, have to spread around the cookies a bit more otherwise you'd be chewing Oreos!

post #357 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 01:48 PM

You planning on actually using the dread in a game cause i didn't think the deathwatch had access to that type. Looks good regardless though

Be warned he who looks not where he walks for he may find himself facing death itself.
post #358 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighty View Post
You planning on actually using the dread in a game cause i didn't think the deathwatch had access to that type. Looks good regardless though
I can use it as a venerable dread, but my group is fairly loose, so using it as a contemptor wouldn't be a problem. Besides, if anyone would have access to the finest class of dread, it would be inquisitorial kill teams. It might also get a leviathan dread for company.
post #359 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-28-17, 08:24 AM

Entarion's Flag is: Czech Republic

Went through whole thread and I have to say I like you Space Wolves! Especially conversion using Warrior of Chaos.

I would like to borrow the idea for my vets but original link is not working. Can you provide some alternate link or even guide how to do that ?
post #360 of 594 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Yeah, I noticed recently that that blog has gone offline. What I might do is actually put my own tire together. Only this morning I got new shelves for my hobby room, and in the reorg that followed I found a few spare chaos knights. If I get a chance over the next few days I'll throw one together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode