Grey Hawks Marines Chapter - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-09, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Babypowder's Flag is: USA

Default Grey Hawks Marines Chapter

Hi! So I bought my friends space marine collection for 100$US. With it I got a whole bunch of minis, 4th edition rule book, 4th edition codex, and some dice. There are probably enough minis for a 2k point force but I'm not all that interested in making a full on space marine army. Instead I've made a 500 pt force out of some of the stuff and made up my own chapter with a little fluff.

I'm using 4th edition rules/codex for this because...well...that's what I have! And I'm not planning on playing any official games or anything so its not that big of a deal to me. The force is basically a captain with thunderhammer, plasma pistol, and Hawk Wings(Jump Pack). A plain dreadnought. Squad one is a Veteran with powerfist, missile launcher, plasma gun, plus two regulars. Squad two is Veteran with powerfist, 2 meltaguns, 2 regulars, and infiltrate. Chapter Trait is Sombre with see but don't be seen and cleanse and purify with the downfall of flesh over steel.

I haven't actually wrote a whole bunch of fluff for it yet but here's what I've got so far..

After enough strenuous activity and many years a space marine born in the Grey Hawks chapter has a very minute chance of growing what looks like Hawk Wings. Despite being a mutation it is not common enough for any kind of persecution. However inside the chapter it is looked at as a blessing. If an astartes grows these wings they are almost always next in line to be promoted to captain or hold some other honorary spot within the rankings. The chapter name was given based off this mutation in that the ridges of the wings are usually grey in color. Feathers fanning outward into red and brown colors resembling wings like a hawks.

Over the past few centuries the Grey Hawks have been scattered throughout the galaxy by company, their numbers spread throughout. Because of this the chapter has developed very advanced infiltration skills. Believing that the ability to scout the front lines and setup battle plans on the fly to be their saving grace, the chapter has claimed great victories quickly and without too much in the way of losses. This goes a long way in ensuring the survival of the chapter despite being spread so thin throughout the galaxy.

Not much but its a start and should explain why my captain has wings. Now on to the actual project!

First pictures aren't that great as they are just primed models and I plan to start actually painting tonight. I will take better pictures once I have made some progress. Here is a collage just to show what all I've got that I'm going to paint. The scheme is going to be grey(obviously) and red. The red might actually be a little more prominent than expected with the name grey hawks but the name is really only meant to convey the appearance of the wings on the mutated captains.

The Dreadnought is just a plain dread with the CC weapon/storm bolter and Assault Cannon, no real mods. The Missile Launcher squad is also pretty plain except the sergeant who I had to mix a bunch of bits and added a green stuff loin cloth. The other squad is pretty plain also, the sergeant is from the veteran squad guys I think, all I did to him was grind off the symbol on his shoulder guard so I could paint the symbol I've made up for the chapter on it.

The captain is the only real conversion that I spent a while on. I started with the emperor's champion model cause I liked the basic pose and the big left shoulder guard. I wanted the beak helmet for him so I could paint it like a mouth/beak so I cut off the head and added one of those. For the right arm I liked this one I found with a pointing hand because the shoulder guard had the little sign thing on it that I can paint on, so I cut off the hand and added the plasma pistol. The wings are just the normal swooping hawks wings which I put on with some wire to extend them outward a bit and covered it all up with a green stuff/guitar string backpack. Another guitar string comes out of the backpack and to the thunderhammer. Which is my favorite part of the model. I cut the EC model's hand off and took a normal sword hand cut the sword about halfway down, then I took the eagle(hawk in this case) head off the normal captain's backpack and cut a slit in it to fit over the sword and then I had this random plastic thing that I think was off a fan or something that I cut in half to make the hammer head(slit it like the hawk head also so they would meet forming the full hammer.) Just added a little more green stuff on the top to make it look connected a little better. I green stuffed a bit of a feather mantle that covers his chest as well. Turned out pretty well overall I think. For the base I'm going to try and use water effects. So I cut it out put plastic underneath, then just based it up kind of normal....we'll see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-09, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Basic Marine from squad I. To show the color scheme. I'm by no means a pro at this...I think my paints are usually way too thick. But it did only take me about an hour...

I'm gonna probably work on the rest of the squad tonight. Any critique or comment is appreciated, and I'll try to take them all into consideration as I keep learning and stuff.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-09, 03:30 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Hey there

Firstly well done that is a very nice colour scheme. You are right lol you paint seems to thick, also which brush are you using?

Try and layer the paint so have a darker grey colour over your basecoat and then build up to the grey you use or use washes to get some depth they are very fast and work brilliantly.

Apart from that and the mould lines *shuddders * lol you have done a great job. Keep at it cant wait to see more have some rep...:BYE:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Super late reply! Thanks for the tips. I use some artist paint brushes I got from the hobby store or walmart can't remember. They're called Loew-Cornell. I seem to have trouble getting the right paint to water ratio...either it's too thick or I put too much water on the brush and it doesn't even want to stay on the model haha. And ya, I think I completely forgot to shave the mold lines off the backpacks and missed some others here and there. I tried to get the ones off the new models that I could.

Here's the first squad! with an extra marine that was my original paint dummy that I just touched up and threw in. I might eventually make them 10 man squads if I upgrade the points of the army anyway.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 05:24 AM

I'm liking the fluff.. i don't know about paint to water ratio either... but the colour is looking good. +rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegius View Post
As for adding weathering, didn't you know that marines never get dirty, they are too cool.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:41 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

I really like the conversion on your Captain, it looks great. I might steal the idea for the Hammer Head off you sometime. The only thing I''d do differently is give it more of a handle. It looks a little strange being so short.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm pretty proud of the captain conversion honestly. I just hope I still am when I finish the painting haha. I can see the short handle on the hammer being odd to some. Most have the really long two hand style hammer I believe. But in my codex it is listed as a one handed weapon and I kinda like the smaller handle. Reminds me more of like...fantasy berserker types with duel hammer/axes which I always think is neat.

I might actually skip the other squads for now and just work on the captain haha, I need a break from the tedious painting anyway and hopefully the captain is more fun.

Again any comments/crits are welcome. Also any questions are fine too...I don't think I'm doing anything spectacular but if something catches your eye that I didn't explain how it was done yet just ask I'll be happy to tell how it was done!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Default Another Bad Picture

Well...despite not making hardly any progress I've re-evaluated my goals for this project. I have probably 2000 pts worth of space marine stuff from what I got in the deal with my friend and some stuff I already had for various reasons. I also have no intentions of really playing space marines. Add to that I am very short on money atm and you get my new goals for this...

Still the same story and color scheme and such but I checked out the 5th edition codex and made it legal and expanded it to 1500 pts. It seems fairly balanced and might do ok I think. Here is the new list..

HQ
Captain w/ Thunderhammer, Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack, Artificer Armor
Command Squad w/Standard, Champion

Elites
Terminator Squad 5 marines w/ Assault Cannon, 2x Chainfist

Dreadnaught w/ Assault Cannon

Troops
Tactical Squad 10 marines, powerfist, melta, ML, Rhino
Tactical Squad 10 marines, powerfist, melta, ML, Rhino
Scouts 5 Snipers w/ Camo Cloaks
Scouts 5 CCW/Pistols

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad 5 marines w/ Lascannon, Plasma Cannon, Heavy Bolter, ML

And the Picture of everything in it's current form. Still have a little bit of modeling to do, and some of the stuff has been painted so I may have to strip that.

I ultimately plan to finish building and painting it all and probably put it up on ebay. Not that I am doing this to make money. Otherwise I'd probably just put it all up now and not waste my time or paint trying to finish it. But I figure it'll be good practice for when I start on the armies I do want to build.

With that said I do actually need money pretty bad atm so if anybody is interested in taking it all off my hands before I practice painting on them just let me know and maybe we could work something out. In addition to what is in the list/picture I have some other stuff I could throw in also, the turret to turn the one rhino into a predator with autocannon and a heavy bolter side sponson and lascannon side sponson(one of each...is all I got.) And of course the arms and missing bits off the models I haven't finished modeling yet.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-10, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

So everytime I say I'm going to update 'soon' it turns out to take forever for my next update so I'm going to stop saying that! Haha. I finally got around to doing some more work on these guys.

First up though, I've decided to change a few things. For one, I decided to make their helms grey instead of red. I like it better that way, plus I was kinda thinking that for a "Grey Hawks" chapter there should be a little more grey cause the red was a little bit dominating. I think I'm also going to represent those who have grown the wings and those who have begun to grow the wings(i.e. the veterans) with a black right shoulder pad. So the terminators are going to have it I think as well as the sergeants and the captain. I also think I'm going to redo the one banner to try and do a freehand kinda scene like the banners in the codexes and stuff.

Next I've decided to change the list too. I've basically made 3 lists, 500, 750, and 1000 points that evolve using the same models. Its not all that different just more condensed and refined. The major change is I took away the captains plasma pistol and left him with a bolt pistol to make the points fit better at each of the three levels. On to the pictures!!!

First up the one thing I actually completely painted since last update. The dreadnought. I actually had alot of fun painting this thing...Its really cool to me... I might go in later and touch up some stuff and try to add more detail but for now its kind of done.

I also kind of coated everything grey to get the color scheme started because it seems alot easier to paint them up from it instead of black and I went ahead and painted all the bases to the point where I normally add the grass and water stuff. So I took a new picture of the captain conversion with the bolt pistol...you can see him decently in this picture unlike the other ones.

And here's a quick compact overview of the 1000 point force. Can't completely see everything but I think you get the basic idea...trying to lay down all the base red on everything next but got kind of tired of it after so many hours. But I think I'm over the hump so to speak and am really looking forward to just finishing it up to a playable painted army.

In all honesty I'm pretty much murdering these minis. The process is serving it's purpose though as I'm learning quite a bit. I've learned alot about the paints I'm using, paintbrushes, a little about washing, shading, blending and highlighting(probably doesn't show up in these yet, but I hope to put it to full use on the captain.) I've even gotten better at taking pictures I think haha.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-10, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

I've been painting like crazy for a change! Here is squad 2 complete with Rhino. I have Squad 1 done except the rhino also. So that'll hopefully be the next update. Then I'll probably do the terminator squad. Then the Captain. And finally will be done! Then I could move on to the eldar project! Anyway...

This is my first tank. It was actually a predator but I made it a rhino so I could put both my squads in rhinos...seemed more important than a predator. So I just took the turret off and covered the hole with a lid that came on one of these little paint bottle things I have. Which was kinda cool cause it gave me a spot to paint the chapter symbol on. Which has changed if you havent noticed. I like this one better. I've also painted it on the left shoulder pad of all the marines except the sergeants who have blackened shoulder pads to represent their status of being in line for wing growing. They also have banners to represent the chapter already anyway. I also tried to get more involved on the banner painting and think it turned out fairly well. I like the first squads banner a little better though honestly. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Like I said in the previous post...I'm pretty much murdering these minis with paint(This was after all meant to be a test army for me to learn on!) but I just want to get it all finished and playable now!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode