Fynns Harbingers of Disolation log (or how to do a bad paint job...lol) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Fynns Harbingers of Disolation log (or how to do a bad paint job...lol)

well, ive decided to take the plunge and make a log of my CSM army "THE HARBINGERS OF DISOLATION" which i first started work on back in feb/march time.
The main overall colour is bone with brass/bronze trim (or red trim in the case of chosen units) with only a few squads in fluffy colours, i.e 2 black legion squads, 1 t-sons squad and a squads of zerkers in there red livery.
first up are pics of finished units then i post some wip pics, and give a rough list of whats still to be done (lots.....lol), so anyway, on to the pics, starting with HQ choices. oh and an overall army pic

first up is my origional chaos lord, but now with a head swap:

next is my take on the FW model of lord zhufer:

and Abbadon

Chaos sorcoror

and my first daemon prince

Next up are my elites so far
Termies

Unit of chosen marines

Now onto the standard troops
CSM squad (black legion)

Khorn berzerkers

Plague marines

T-sons (not too happy with these ones)

Summoned daemons

Heavy surport
Vindicator

Preditor

Havocs (black legion)

Oblit (first of 5)

Defiler

And my land raider

right thats that lot, now some WIP bits
Niose marines

My count as Kharn

And an old school DP

this is some of the bits waiting to be painted (most are base coated)

i still have another squad of zerkers to do, another 20 csm and if i can get the torsos i want, another 5 chosen.
im in the process of striping a badly painted and put together LR, and can hopefully restore it, also have a badly painted rhino to strip and rebuild, hopefully as noise marine rhino (with external amps if i can knockem up....lol).
i will try and keep this log updated as and when i get some started/finished or what ever.
Any and all C&C welcome, as are any surgestions
cheers for looking

fynn (a crap painter)

Last edited by fynn; 11-17-09 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 01:49 PM

Nice army!

Like the brass/tan colour scheme too.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 02:00 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thats a lotta stuff!

I really like the colour scheme, bone schemes always look wicked, and it really makes your bezerkers stand out.

A lot of good stuff to choose from, but the tanks and vehicles are my top picks here, they look fantastic - vindicator especially.

Only c&c i could really put forward would be to tone down the yellow on the Tsons, it's a little bit bright.

Will look forwrad to seeing those noise marines finished, i'd never of thought of bright pink and bone working together but evidently it does!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

tbh, i wasnt sure how the bone and pink would work, but it seems work out allright....lol
and cheers for the remarks guys

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 08:04 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Fynn that is a boatload of stuff. Nice work. As varakir said the vindi is tops. How did you do the mud clinging to the dozerblade? Your Kharn is a good idea, posessed body for the psycho killer, nice. I like abby without his toast rack. Seems we all like to change the frills on him but like his weapons too much. However the two that jumped out at me were your original lord with the Zufor helmet and the single skull faced bezerker. They are both perfect. Great work. I shall take a swing at you with my +4 chainaxe of repping.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-09, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

cheers for the rep shaantitus, i must admit im rather proud of my skull faced zerker, as for Kharn, i origionaly throw him together as at the time i didnt have the offial mini of him, then i was given one, but i didnt realy like the origional gw mini,, something about just didnt feel right, so i got rid of him (plus the guys at my club, all prefered my take on kharn anyway.....lol)
As for the mud, its one of the few good tips i got from the gw website, basicly, you get some sand, in my case sand from my daughters play pit, mix some pva glue in with it, add some graveyard earth paint for colour (you may need to add some water if the mix is thick to start with), then slap it on the model where you want it, leave to dry, in my case over night, then i just went over it with the denab mud wash.
hopefully all my vechials will have the mud effect added at some point, including the defiler.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-09, 07:04 PM

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

I have to say...the main reason I dont touch Chaos is because many of the paint jobs I see are not very neat and look like a small child with a bunch of very tiny paint cans just went insane and splattered paint everywhere. Which, I suppose would fit with the Chaos motif...however it looks like crap. This however is pretty decent looking, good job! I can actually distinguish where the head is without it being a blob of paint/greenstuff.

+rep

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-09, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

cheers for the comments and rep guys
many thanks

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-09, 09:38 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

LOVE your version of Kharn, makes me think of making my zerkers that colour, looks sick as, great army!

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-09, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

cheers, as for the colour, its a fairly simple job, good solid undercoat of white followed by 2 or more coats of gryphonne sepia wash (basicly add to suit) then do the trim in whatever colour you wish (bronze in my case) then add one more coat of wash.
the other way to do it is undercoat the model with white, do all trim in black, followed by the bronze, then apply the wash to the whole model, including trim.
Kharn was done a bit diferent, white undercoat, then i picked out the red in the torso and legs, then i painted the rest with bone, then done the wash. its all down to how you want the mini to look, plus useing the wash method, each model will be slightly different as the wash tends to settel a bit different on each mini.
the plague marines alos started as a bone base colour, then washed with denab mud, high lighted then had a coat or 2 of green wash added to give the moldy look

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode