Dark Angel Space Marines - WIP - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 01:51 AM

mgtymouze's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreamnz View Post
Yip I noted that I still needed squad numbers and company markings, do tranfers on transfers go so well?
Well I tend to use Solvaset Decal setting solution will all my transfers. This "softens" the decal and makes it adhear more to the model. Problem is I have to wait 24 to 48 hours before applying the squad marking over the tac squad designation.

Another option you could use is to "seal" the shoulder pad prior to applying the 2nd decal. I stole this technique from my 1/35 scale modeling days when I was having a problem with decal "silvering". Simply use a liquid gloss coat finish, or cheap method acrylic floor finish; i.e. future floor polish, and place a smooth sealed surface to apply the 2nd decal to. This will protect the underlaid decal and provide a smooth surface for the 2nd to adhear to. After all modeling is complete the dull coat takes off the lusture.

As far as the company marking, I went with 3rd company so all I had to do was paint a red stripe on the kneepad. If you decide on a different company though it isn't too hard to mask off the quarted knee pads and paint them. Should you want the checkerd marking though, I would personally try to score some orc transfer sheets with the checkered transfers.

Hope this helps. If you would like any more advice shoot me a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

jetstreamnz's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtymouze View Post
Well I tend to use Solvaset Decal setting solution will all my transfers. This "softens" the decal and makes it adhear more to the model. Problem is I have to wait 24 to 48 hours before applying the squad marking over the tac squad designation.

Another option you could use is to "seal" the shoulder pad prior to applying the 2nd decal. I stole this technique from my 1/35 scale modeling days when I was having a problem with decal "silvering". Simply use a liquid gloss coat finish, or cheap method acrylic floor finish; i.e. future floor polish, and place a smooth sealed surface to apply the 2nd decal to. This will protect the underlaid decal and provide a smooth surface for the 2nd to adhear to. After all modeling is complete the dull coat takes off the lusture.

As far as the company marking, I went with 3rd company so all I had to do was paint a red stripe on the kneepad. If you decide on a different company though it isn't too hard to mask off the quarted knee pads and paint them. Should you want the checkerd marking though, I would personally try to score some orc transfer sheets with the checkered transfers.

Hope this helps. If you would like any more advice shoot me a pm.
Thanks for advice/tips. I thought I would need to seal them in between and its good to get options from someone that has done them. (I am just about to do a run to a craft store for brushes so will have a look for the decal setting stuff).

I am now looking foward to getting home tonight and putting together some more models from my veteran set.

Also floating about in ebay today trying to pick up some more troops .... I have to go to games workshop for some paints, will try to resist buying troops honest.

I wonder if most peeps use the GW paints?

I am in the process of reading a great post in Project Logs https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=34258, this stuff is mega awesome, plan on a comment when I finally get to the end, then I am going to look up some painting tips/tricks.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 03:53 AM

Haekmo's Flag is: Australia

i use decal set by testors, works well and u can have the decal on in round 30 secs.. also find a touch of viniger works ok to

mini's looking great mate, as said before " cool old school red bolters "

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

I just returned from my bit and pieces trip.

The local arts and craft store didnt have any decal set, so I got some brush on Matt Varnish, also got a can of spary varnish also.

Also picked up a few windsor and newton brushes, series 7 (someone recommended them). A bit on the expensive side so I will wait until my other brushes are beat and my painting skills have increased before I start using them.

Got a really nice multiliner pigment ink pen in black that I am going to try and use for squad numbers, will do some test pads with the extras I have.

Also went to games workshop for some paint, some DA green (I spilled the first pot) and some Dheneb stone, for my purity seals.

Oh and like I said, I couldnt resist, and got a devestator pack ... gives me a few extra heavy/special wepons to splash onto a combat squad. (Plus of course a devestator squad)

With a Devestator Squad of 5 are only 2 allowed weapon upgrades? Or are all 4 allowed to have heavy weapons?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 06:13 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

it explains it in your codex

but pretty much its 4 heavy weaps are allowed. regardless of squad size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azwraith View Post
it explains it in your codex

but pretty much its 4 heavy weaps are allowed. regardless of squad size.
I did read 4 in the codex, however I thought that might be for 10 man squads ... when made i will be able to sub them into my 500 point army all armed up and replacing a tatical squad.

Thanks for the quick response.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I went forward a bit and back a bit more.

I sealed my shoulder armor decals ... but that didnt go so well, must have used a dirty brush as when they dried there was black marks over the decals and stuck into them. (Should have got pics of the damage)

So I had to peel them all off and start repainting, they still need another coat of paint at least ... but I did manage to paint the purity seals.

I also put together a Sergeant for my growing tactical sqaud from the veteran pack. Armed him with a chainsword and a plasma pistol.

I also put together a company master, with a power sword and plasma pistol, he is very understated atm, awaiting some command pieces, however because hes going to be the HQ choice for my 500 base army I didnt want alot of bells and whistles.

Still on the hunt for a cheap tactical/combat squad on Ebay so I can make use of all the extra weapons that came with my devestators that I paid store price for /bad me

Going to check out a store in Penrith on the weekend, the tinsoldier, a guy has offered to run me through a game ...

The salesman in GW (Parramatta) has put me kinda off the store, trying to get me to pre-order for PlanetStrike without me even knowing what it was ... a bit to pushy for my liking (and even knowing I am new and never played he was most interested in feeding me models, paint packs, brushes, tools). Yeah its his job but really! (I did get that card in the pics and for free lol)

Enough complaining, here are some pics.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 01:20 PM

Looks good, especially if you are a painting noob. =] I'm very impressed with the eyes. Took me months to get the technique for doing eyes right.

As you said you welcome the advice, here's my contribution:

Metal often looks too plain when you do it with just boltgun metal paint. A personal favourite is to lightly brush mithril silver or chainmail around the edges, then give a thin black ink wash to keep it a dark, mariney colour.

If you like the worn look, the red on the guns might be a little too perfect. You might consider drybrushing bits of boltgun metal and then mithril silver around the corner areas, to give it a slight chipped paint look.

Finally, with the white areas, especially the aquillas on their chests, you might consider building up from a darker base (codex grey is always nice), with very dry, thin layers of each grey, so you get a nicer finish to your white.

Other than that, I think it's a very good start to an army. Can't wait to see what you do with your veterans, as the DA Vets are some of my favourite 40k models.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 03:57 PM

aegius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looking good. I like the bases in particular.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 05:20 PM

mgtymouze's Flag is: USA

Quote:
The local arts and craft store didnt have any decal set, so I got some brush on Matt Varnish, also got a can of spary varnish also.
Cool if you use this, it will help protect your paint job. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Don't know about how it would work with the matte finish (I just use spray for matte) but when I do a decal seal with gloss, I use a Q-tip to apply the seal.

Quote:
Also picked up a few windsor and newton brushes, series 7 (someone recommended them). A bit on the expensive side so I will wait until my other brushes are beat and my painting skills have increased before I start using them.
These brushes are great and worth every cent you spent IMO. As long as you take care of the brushes they should last you a LONG time. I wish my first DA's would have looked as good as yours do, so whenever your painting skills increase be sure to post pics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode