Scratch Built Tau Manta (WIP) w/ Pics - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-09, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Epatus's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Scratch Built Tau Manta (WIP) w/ Pics

Hi all.

If you read my introduction post you would know that I used to be a tau player. During this period of stupidity, a friend of mine cut out the rough shape of a Tau Manta from solid blue Styrofoam and sold it to me for £5. This I have then since sculpted to give the more defined hull of a Tau Manta

This took ten hours to sculpt from 3 inch thick styrofoam. I used a scraper/former (Kind of like a cheese grater with a handle) and emery paper.

The next stage is to sculpt the troop bay which fits below the hull. This will then be glued into position. The next part involves purchasing about £50 of tau weaponary, and making their recesses and attaching to the hull.

After this the hull will coated in filler to fill in all the imperfections of the styrofoam. This will then be sanded down to give a smooth finish. Finally touch ups and additions will be done, like the lines along the hull will be scored into the filler coating.

The picture above shows the size of model as it is resting on my office chair. This Manta will have no interior detail, like the Forgeworld model, and no opening troop bay. But I am hoping that it will be an impressive "representation" that can be used in Apocalypse games. EDIT >>> Also the model is extremely light. I have never felt the weight of the resin model but I would have to say it has to be at least half its weight.

The project is on hold at the moment due to final year exams at Uni.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, feel free to post.

Tactica: Space Marine Bike Armies
SCRATCH BUILT TAU MANTA (WIP)
Adeptus Mechanicus Army (WIP)
I have a rendezvous with Death, At some disputed barricade...

Last edited by Epatus; 05-18-09 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-09, 11:47 AM
Searching for Vulkan

HorusReborn's Flag is: USA

I have no suggestions since I know nothing of using styrofoam, but this looks like a great start man! Props to you for using the foam and doing something creative!

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 04:17 AM

Damned Fist's Flag is: Canada

Well done so far! With a Styrofoam model that scale, however, it will be quite fragile if you don't coat or treat it with 'size' prior to painting it. I would suggest even using muslin with the size to make it extra strong. (Although, that may be over-kill)

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 05:19 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Dude, that is epic! Great work, it must of taken ages to do this! Have some rep for some motivation!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

HorusReborn thanks for the support I need all the motivation I can get to finish this project. I started it last year. My friend gave me the cutout in 6 pieces. I stuck them together to give the rough shape. It was flat on both top and bottom and was about three inches thick. (The side face, the three inch thick face, also need scultping) He then told me that we would be playing Apocalypse. I didn't start scuplting until the day before. Covered my room in plastic to catch all the dust, and started scraping for about 9 hours straight and then cleaned it up with emery paper for another hour. Worst 10 hours of my life!

When we plaed with it the next day, everyone was impressed with the scuplting, but was a little cheesed with the Apocalypse Manta Death Blow Cadre rules. Basically everything with 24 inches of the manta needed to take a morale check, and as long as my commander was alive, everyone was fearless. first or second turn disembarked troops behind his IG. Force them to take morale test, because of the manta, they fail, fall back, caught in crossfire, 6 units dead without firing a shot. After the game we decided I would never play with it again until it was complete. But now that I have sold my Tau that is a bit difficult.

Damned Fist thanks for the suggestions. You are indeed correct, it is fragile. I have not broken it yet, but you know when you hold something and you know that it could break really easily? This is one of those times.

gwmaniac thanks for the pick me up, after what I described above, the model has been moved from house to house (being a student) just in case I want to work on it. Maybe now after my exams finish (29th+(party)), start of June sometime I can start work on it again.

I'll keep you updated if I make any progress.

C&C always welcome

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 11:08 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I assume the tool you used to do this was a rasp.

Looks excellent. Where did your mate get the foam from? I am finding in very hard to get this stuff anywhere in the UK.

This is certainly something I will be interested in seeing completed, but you will need some serious dedication to get a fully detailed model done.

Regarding weight, I'd say it going to be much less than half the FW models weight.

Damned fist - Can you explain more about 'size'?

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thats the tool! Except mine is in yellow. See what I mean, a cheese grater with a handle! My mate works in a university design technology workshop. He got the material for free (five finger discount). As for finding the material search through google, he is one random result: http://www.yellowcatshop.co.uk/shop/...bcatid=3500111

This is a long term project. When it is complete I dont think I will keep. It will probably be sold for a fraction of the FW price.

As for weight, at the moment it weighs a little less than a space marine codex.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 06:09 PM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

what kind of filler are you gonna use for that?

I don't know if it's compatible with styrofoam, but you might want to try a polyurethane type liquid for the final coats, after you have all the etching and scoring done. It does wonders for protecting things from dents and scratches that you normally get in softer, lighter material.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 06:31 PM