Lions Rampant 5th Battle Company - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-07, 08:56 AM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Nice stuff SoH.
I like the text on the shoulder and leg amour, is there a chance you could take some pics of the chapter symbol sides of the chaps on future updates as the symbol is never wholly visable.

If I may be so bold to make a suggestion, (the only thing I could find to suggest btw) drilling out the gun barrels gives a better effect than just painted on holes.

This look are going to look great enmass on the table! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-07, 09:00 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Great work on the power fist dude. Very nice on the blue highlights. A suggestion from me would be to maybe make the eyes a bit more pure in color and mind your mold lines.

The freehand is amazing btw. So so jeolous right now.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-07, 09:32 PM
Links Manager

hephesto's Flag is: Netherlands

Very cool minis here, the cpatain is just brilliant. The banner is also very good, lovely freehand work. Hope to see more soon

Currently working on CSM (IW, Purge and Traitor Guard), Tyranids, Astronomican's Datasheet project....and oh yeah my thesis project

Astronomican's Datasheet Project - First Wave - 2nd Wave

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-07, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I always liked the metal Command Squad models from 3rd Edition-- particularly the sergeant, even though he had no business being armed with a bolter in a command squad. I had him sitting in my bits box, and it occured to me he'd make an excellent Devastator sergeant.

Sergeant Quiote, 10th Squad.

And, per Vash's request, Quiote's shoulder pad bearing the Lions Rampant Chapter Icon.

Here's how I do the freehand. The Lion starts as sort of a reverse S. From the bottom of it, I bring the tail up, and about where the tail meets the body, I draw a diagonal line out to form the back leg. Then it's just sort of casually brushing lines so you get the arms and legs and the furry look. The head is the hardest part, and I've found just making three lines that meet at the left-hand point, then filling out the top and bottom lines, gives a semi-good head. Not quite the detail I'd like out of it, but it's quite small, so I suppose it works. After the basic lion is done, I highlight it a bit with Astronomician Grey.

As for drilling out the gun barrells. I've always been a bit hesitant to do that becuase I seem to mess up the weapon more often than not. I got a smaller drill bit though, so I'm probably going to try my hand at it. Thanks for the suggestion, Vash.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-07, 08:09 PM
Links Manager

hephesto's Flag is: Netherlands

My favorite so far, love the freehand on the symbol and writing on the armour!

Quick question is that servo-skull from the new devestators plastic kit?

Currently working on CSM (IW, Purge and Traitor Guard), Tyranids, Astronomican's Datasheet project....and oh yeah my thesis project

Astronomican's Datasheet Project - First Wave - 2nd Wave
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-07, 10:52 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Very nice dude - and a great choice of mini to use for the Dev Leader.

Your freehand stuff is bloody amazing, to do that on every single mini in the army is going to be a mission. How long is each mini taking you?
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-15-07, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Yeah, that's a plastic servo-skull from the devastator plastics, Hep.

And yes... every single model has the icon done in freehand, as well as squad markings (I didn't take a picture of the delta on Quiote's other shoulder marking him as a devastator Marine, but it's there.) Each model takes about an hour, oddly enough. And it's not really even an hour of focused painting-- I'm usually half watching TV and half painting. Most of the time is getting a fairly even coat with the white-- the details come surprisingly fast, and the lion icon takes all of about two minutes to do. I suppose the white parts would come faster if I lined the armor with grey instead of working from a black undercoat, but I'm so bad at working from white primer and getting decent contrast and shadows that it'd probably take twice as long per model. I use a 20/0 kollinsky sable brush for all my freehand, so it's like writing with a sharp #2 pencil, really, and I do all the freehand using a mix of black paint and black ink instead of straight black paint so I have a bit better flow control.

Oddly enough, painting the Lion Rampant on the scale of the banner is a heck of a lot harder than getting it on a shoulder pad. That banner took me four tries before I was happy with it, and I'm dreading going to work on the nine Rhino chassis for the Company, since they're going to display the icon on the top doors, with smaller squad markings so it's not painfully obvious which transport is carrying which squad, but if you look at it, it's clear. It's essentially the "don't salute officers when there are snipers around" mentality.

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-16-07, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Brother Porthos, Dreadnought and another Devastator are done. Check back later tonight for pictures-- I'm just killing time between meetings on the internet. :lol:

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-16-07, 11:30 PM