The Plague Fleets of Typhus - LotN's Death Guard Project Log - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's been a while since I last posted an update, but that is because I was entering my Death Guard into Armies on Parade and wanted to debut them fully there. I did and it went very well! So now that Armies is past I can post them here at last. We'll start with the Foul Blightspawn and the Biologus Putrifier, two brilliant character kits that were damn fun to do!

For the Putrifier I went with Thousand Sons Blue and Daemonette Hide to create the various vials and grenades hanging from his racks. I then painted thin lines of Ahriman Blue and Slaanesh Grey onto them to create a swirling fluid effect, though I went with Moot Green and a brighter green (that I can't remember anymore) to create the wire running into his injector and the blight grenade he has in his hand. The skull shaped bottles and vials I painted in bone to give them a more intimidating look, and ran Blood for the Blood God into the eyes and down the cheeks to mimic bloody tears. Nurgle's Rot into the pitted sections of his armour gave it a slimy look without having to work in another colour and potentially disrupt the filthy green. All the other features are in line with the rest of the army.

For the Blightspawn I wanted to give him a fleshier look, hence the hose of his weapon and nearly every wire is done totally as flesh, the idea being that they are intestines or something that he's stitched into his armour and to his weapon nozzle. The incubatum tank was a coat of Fenrisian Grey, Nuln Oil around the partition between tank and glass, then Moot Green along the bottom with a lighter green ran in a jagged line across to simulate fluids shifting, and white spots dotted across to try and make it seem realer. The fluids dripping from the nozzle were done in the same green for continuity. I also ran Nurgle's Rot lightly along the bottom of the tank and underneath the glass section to make it look as if the seals are loose and the noxious fluids are leaking out. As with the Putrifier the rest of the figure was done in line with the rest of the army.

Both were based with Stirland Battlemire to create a muddy warzone look, like a trench.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foul Blightspawn Front.jpg (86.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Foul Blightspawn Side.jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Foul Blightspawn Back.jpg (90.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Biologus Putrifier Back.jpg (89.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Biologus Putrifier Side.jpg (86.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Biologus Putrifier Front.jpg (79.6 KB, 2 views)

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Next up is Typhus the Traveller, commander of the 1st Company and the Zombie Fleets!

Very proud of this figure and I consider him one of my best so far. I wanted to keep Typhus' appearance similar to the rest of the army so I used my army's details rather than the boxart to paint in the areas where he differed such as the robes and the eyes. The white helmet was a coat of Ulthuan Grey, recess shaded with Agrax Earthshade and the eyes in Soulstone Blue. I went with Screamer Pink for the larger tubes to mimic the previous figures and because fleshy wires are so much more Death Guard than just black and yellow hazard markings. For the Manreaper I went with the worn brass appearance, but heavily drybrushed Stormhost Silver across the blade to make the edge sharp and to make the rest of the scythe look rusted. Dryad Bark washed with Druchii Violet for the wooden handle, and the little Nurgling hanging off him was a wash of Athonian Camoshade over Rakarth Flesh.

The Destroyer Hive was a full coat of Celestra Grey followed by a heavy wash of Guilliman Blue and then Waywatcher Green. I went for a smoky look for the flies, they are literally made of the smog rather than being real creatures in it, but did their eyes in yellow to reflect a Daemonic nature. Finally I painted the shattered Imperial masonry in Mech Standard Grey, the pipes in Leadbelcher, and washed both heavily with Agrax Earthshade. A base of Stirland Battlemire completed the figure, and i'm very happy with the result!

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Typhus the Traveller Back.jpg (67.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Typhus the Traveller Front.jpg (69.4 KB, 3 views)
Brother Dextus likes this.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Next up is the second squad of Plague Marines, made up of the Easy-to-Build kit along with the Plague Brethren LE kit and the clamp-pack Icon Bearer to make a full squad of 7 (Nurgle!)

With these guys I wanted to expand the colours used, so I added Caledor Blue and Daemonette Hide to some of the tentacles and fleshy bits, washed them with Druchii Violet and then drybrushed with Teclis Blue and Slaanesh Grey. I feel that the various brighter colours really stand out nicely against the earthy and worn tones of the rest of the armour. For the Champion I went with a Druchii Violet wash over Rakarth Flesh followed by Carroburg Crimson, which gave a really nice look of infected flesh. I also brushed Blood for the Blood God across the maw on his chest to give the appearance that it's either recently fed or afflicted by rot. Apart from those extra details I maintained the same colour scheme as the rest of the army on this squad.

For the Icon Bearer I also used the brighter colours for the tentacles, but the Icon itself is where I started to innovate. I used the Soulstone Blue effect on the helmet lense there to link it with it's wielder, carefully applied Nilakh Oxide onto the brass sections to give a weathered appearance while trying not to overdo it as I feel I did a bit with the Noxious Blightbringer. For the skulls I went with the same idea as the Biologus Putrifier and painted basic skulls but then used Blood God to create the effect of bloody tears streaming down the cheeks. Once that was done I based all seven figures with Stirland Battlemire and the second squad, an anti-vehicle squad, was complete. To maintain the rules the I switched the Blight Grenadier over to the first squad so they have two anti-infantry special weapons and added a basic Bolter/Knife Plague Marine into this squad.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blight Stalker.jpg (85.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Corpulax.jpg (83.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Dipteron.jpg (72.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Champion.jpg (75.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Melta Gunner.jpg (70.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Blight Grenadier.jpg (84.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Icon Bearer.jpg (91.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Icon Closeup.jpg (70.7 KB, 2 views)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

The Blightlords are next and these were another fun kit to paint, the level of detail on these guys is insane!

I kept to the colour scheme established across the army and newer details that I tested on previous units. The overflowing flesh on the first Blightlord has the same scheme as the skin on the second Plague Champion, while to paint the insect carapace on the second Blightlord I went with Kantor Blue washed with Druchii Violet and drybrushed with Teclis Blue. For the Flail of Corruption on the third Blightlord I used the same scheme as the smoke on the Lord of Contagion's totem, but with a thinner drybrush of Ulthuan Grey to give the smoke a dirtier look. For the toothy grin on the fourth Blightlord I went with Ulthuan Grey and washed with Nuln Oil Gloss, I wanted the smile to be white but still have a creepy appearance and I think the gloss wash achieved that, the pristine look of the teeth really seems off surrounded by the rot and infected flesh. The rest of the details I kept in line with the rest of the army.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blightlord 1 Front.jpg (89.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 1 Back.jpg (97.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 2 Front.jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 2 Back.jpg (91.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord Champion Front.jpg (90.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord Champion Back.jpg (85.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 3 Front.jpg (100.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 3 Back.jpg (98.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 4 Front.jpg (93.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlord 4 Back.jpg (90.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blightlords.jpg (134.8 KB, 2 views)

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Finally, for now, the Poxwalkers!

For these guys I stuck with the Ready for Battle scheme that I used previously, but to mix it up I did the first batch with an Athonian Camoshade wash over Corax White for the skin while I used Reikland Fleshshade for the second batch. This was to give variety to a set of two of each of the same figures. Mostly I went with the same details across them all, rusted and near useless weapons to denote their status as cannon fodder, bloody boils for the green-skinned zombies and slimy boils for the pale-skinned zombies, while uniting them with the crimson fatigues and the yellow Daemon eyes, or dull Soulstone blue lenses for those with goggles. For the two leaders I went with black and red for the first to infer that it was a Commissar at some point, and white splashed with Blood for the Blood God for the second to get a sort of mad-doctor look. Stirland Battlemire based and the unit was done rather quickly.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers.jpg (146.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Closeup.jpg (125.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Closeup 2.jpg (120.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Closeup 3.jpg (124.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalker Commissar.jpg (133.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalker Medicus.jpg (102.5 KB, 2 views)

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-17, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

And now I can begin assembly and work on the reinforcements i've gotten over the last two weeks. Very pleased with them all and looking forward to starting on them. Plus the shipping box for Morty and the crawlers didn't go to waste!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unholy Reinforcements.jpg (70.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Heavy Armour Reinforcements.jpg (74.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Shipping Box.jpg (58.0 KB, 2 views)

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-18, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Been a while since i've updated but my time over the Christmas break was put to good use! Mortarion and the Deathshroud have been completed, though I have separated the Nurglings from Mortarion to paint them separately before attaching them to his base, just so that they can look their very best. Both of them were painted in the same style as the rest of my army, which is to say I followed the How To video from the Lord of Two Thin Coats, though I substituted Mephiston Red on parts of the fabric to tie them into the rest of the Crimson Company. Since Mortarion is a Daemon I had the idea that he would manifest differently depending on who he is fighting with, hence he has a red tabard when he joins the Crimson Company in battle.

I also went with bright yellow eyes rather than pale cataracts for Mortarion to connect him to the rest of the Daemons that are in, and those that will be added, the army. I just like the idea of a sickly yellow glow emanating from their eyes. For the Deathshroud's smoke I went with the same style as Typhus to connect them to him as Typhus' own Deathshroud, with dual loyalties to their commander and their Daemonic lord. The rocks on Mortarion's base were painted with Mechanicus Standard Grey, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then drybrushed with Dawnstone, with Screamer Pink washed with Druchii Violet and glazed with Nurgle's Rot for the fleshy growths.

Very very proud of Mortarion, he's the first Lord of War that i've ever painted and I feel like he is my best work yet!

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mortarion Front.jpg (83.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion Back.jpg (80.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion Face.jpg (67.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion Silence.jpg (53.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion The Lantern.jpg (55.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion Smoke.jpg (79.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mortarion Base.jpg (66.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud.jpg (80.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud First.jpg (74.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud First Back.jpg (67.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud Champion.jpg (71.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud Champion Back.jpg (70.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud Second.jpg (59.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Deathshroud Second Back.jpg (61.4 KB, 1 views)

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-18, 05:18 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Fantastic job on Morty. The wings look great. They to me are the hardest part, trying to handle the transitions on organics on an otherwise nonorganic mini.
Lord of the Night likes this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-18, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Fantastic job on Morty. The wings look great. They to me are the hardest part, trying to handle the transitions on organics on an otherwise nonorganic mini.
Thanks KF! They were a challenge certainly, but a fun challenge. I've never spread a wash out like that but it has produced a great effect, one that really captures the mouldy organic nature of Mortarion's Daemonic appendages.

LotN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode