The Plague Fleets of Typhus - LotN's Death Guard Project Log - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-17, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Using my time off productively and getting a lot of work done. Both the Malignant Plaguecaster and the Dark Imperium Plague Champion are finished!

Both of these required additional details that the others lacked. For the Plaguecaster I used the Warhammer TV guide on painting the smoke which was pretty simple, I didn't paint the flies in however as I felt it looked more magic-like if the flies were made of the spell-smoke the caster is sending towards some unlucky foe. The face was just Rakarth Flesh washed with Biel-Tan green and Yriel yellow eyes, I gave him the same eyes as the Nurglings to reflect how much the warp has changed this sorcerer. The staff was painted with Dryad Bark, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then dry brushed with Gorthor Brown and then Sylvaneth Bark. The chitin claws are Naggaroth Night with Xereus highlighting to match the Druchii Violet washed flesh. I've also decided that when i'm working out the exact lore for the Crimson Company the Plaguecaster will have the title "of the Twisted Trees".

The Plague Champion was much the same as the rest, but for his fly companion and his athame dagger. For the fly I used Incubi Darkness and a dry brush of Kabalite green for the body, a dot of Yriel yellow for the eye, and some Biel-Tan green was to make the highlighted legs stand out. For the wings I based with Ceramite White and glazed with Guilliman Blue. I didn't want to give too much attention to such a small part of the figure I went with something simple and easy. For the dagger I basecoated with Stegadon Scale Green and then drybrushed with Sotek Green. I felt this gives the dagger an otherworldly appearance, which is fitting since it's clearly an Athame-type daemonic weapon. I also decided to not paint in the fine details of his face and just go for a Screamer Pink basecoat with a Druchii Violet wash, I went with this because I like the idea that under the hood is just a melting morass of flesh. Very Nurgley.

With these two done I now have my Vectorum Command finished, at least until I get my hands on some more, and my first Combat Squad (though I won't be pairing these figures together in the game). Next up will be the Blight Drone, a figure i'm eagerly looking forward to starting tomorrow.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malignant Plaguecaster Front.jpg (64.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Malignant Plaguecaster Side.jpg (61.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Malignant Plaguecaster Side 2.jpg (64.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Malignant Plaguecaster Face.jpg (62.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Malignant Plaguecaster Spell.jpg (54.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Champion Front.jpg (60.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Champion Back.jpg (67.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Champion Fly.jpg (39.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Champion Dagger.jpg (45.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg First Combat Squad.jpg (92.5 KB, 9 views)
Khorne's Fist likes this.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 09-20-17 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-17, 12:58 PM

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-17, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Finished the Bloat Drone today. It was a HELL of a time painting the base metal paints onto this figure, just so much careful work to be done and getting a full coat of both took around 5 hours of painting time. Maybe i'm slow in that regard but either way after that it really sped up. The washes and the rest of the painting only took a few hours this morning and the end result is great! (in my opinion, some may disagree)

Planning to undercoat the Poxwalkers and remaining Plague Marines tomorrow, as well as get some games in at GW (my first 8th Edition games too), so more will be forthcoming.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bloat Drone Front.jpg (75.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bloat Drone Front 2.jpg (75.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Bloat Drone Back.jpg (72.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bloat Drone Eye.jpg (62.4 KB, 8 views)

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-17, 07:34 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Nice flesh tones, and I like how you've done the eye. The only thing I'd say is I'd like to see the flesh in the armour cracks on the hull and rear right of the tail picked out. That flesh tone would make a great contrast against the green.
Lord of the Night likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-17, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Nice flesh tones, and I like how you've done the eye. The only thing I'd say is I'd like to see the flesh in the armour cracks on the hull and rear right of the tail picked out. That flesh tone would make a great contrast against the green.
Didn't realize that was meant to be flesh, I thought it was just cracked armour panels. Might revisit it later on once i'm further along with the whole army.

Ordered myself some new kits today since i've been making such good progress. Got myself Typhus, a box of Blightlords and a Foul Blightspawn. I would have preferred the Biologus Putrifier (GRENADE STORM!) but i'll get all the elite heroes eventually so I may as well just get this one now with the rest of the order. Really looking forward to getting the Blightlords, they look like a fantastic kit to assemble and give each Terminator a real individual character.

LotN

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-17, 04:01 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I agree with Khorne's Fist about the eye; really pops.

The armour is a suitably dingy green, but might look even better with a bit of spattering with a brown wash so it looks properly filthy.
Lord of the Night likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-17, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

My commander has arrived and with him some heavy reinforcements! Found out the date for my local GWs Armies on Parade and i'm hoping to have the Death Guard ready in time. As of this post I have eight Plague Marines, twenty Poxwalkers, five Blightlords, a Foul Blightspawn and Typhus left to paint. Achievable if I work at it!

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Typhus + Reinforcements.jpg (93.0 KB, 8 views)

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-17, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Finished the last two Plague Marines from the DI boxset on Thursday morning. Very pleased with how these minis are turning out, I actually think they are my best work yet! With these two I decided to try and add some more "out there" colours to the flesh and tentacles, so I painted a few in Teclis Blue and highlighted with Baharroth Blue, which I feel has given them some bright stand out spots that contrast with the grimy earthy colours that make up most of the figures. Assembled up the new kits as well in time for a game and hoping to get them all finished in time for Armies on Parade, which will be the first time that i've taken part.

In addition I played my very first game with the DG yesterday (which was also my first 8th edition game, my first 40k game, and the first Warhammer game i've played in a year) against the Ad Mech of Ryza. The game lasted three rounds and my Death Guard proved exactly how enduring they were against overwhelming firepower. By the end I had lost five Plague Marines, my Blightspawn, one Blightlord and all my Poxwalkers while my opponent had lost two Dragoons, all his Ruststalkers and Infiltrators and half of a Vanguard squad. Highlights from the game include:

-My Blightlord Terminators weathering a charge from ten Sicaran Infiltrators, losing no wounds to their flechette storm, losing only one guy to their melee offense, and then my Flail of Corruption Terminator killing the entire squad by himself (five died to his first set of attacks, then he finished them next turn with another five kills!).

-My Foul Blightspawn taking the shots of 10 Corpuscarii Electro-Priests, after the rolls it was about 20-25 wounds, and only losing a single wound to that. It took the combined fire of three Transauric Arquebuses, the Corpuscarii attack and the Tech-Priest Dominus unleashing everything they had into him to finally bring him down.

-My Poxwalkers swarming the Sydonian Dragoons and actually managing to bring one of them down thanks to a 2S and 2T buff from Typhus and his magic. They were wiped out in the end by the Dragoons but they did their job delivering Typhus to the enemy front line where he could wreak havoc. Which he did by charging into a Vanguard squad and reducing them to half strength in one series of attacks (if damage could spill over he'd have wiped the entire squad out!).

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plague Marines 3 Front.jpg (73.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Marines 3 Side.jpg (63.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Plague Marines 3 Back 2.jpg (63.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 10-07-17 at 11:09 AM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-17, 02:52 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I've been absent on the boards a while lately so I'm just catching up with your log.

I think guys look great. There's only one thing not working, and in my opinion it's the crimson.

The greens and decay are really nicely done and have a very satisfying amount of saturation and contrast.

Unfortunately, I think the bright red+green is veering into Christmas colours (which is always a danger with death guard). The red/green contrast is an easy go to, but to work on these guys the red needs to be broken up more; it needs to be darker, dirtier, stained, faded, etc.

A viewer could still tell, these guys were the crimson group, but that distinction has faded and decayed over time.

Everything else really works though. The mix of colorful and nasty is good, especially on the mutations and Nurglings.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-17, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Finished the first ten Poxwalkers earlier today. With these guys I decided to go with a simpler method of painting shown in the Ready for Battle video from Warhammer TV. Considering their in-universe and in-game status as fodder, I have forgone the advanced stages of painting, namely drybrushing and highlighting, in favour of a washed look that makes them easier to finish. It was also the fact that I don't particularly care about these figures that had me choose an easier paint scheme. I collect Death Guard for the actual Death Guard, not their zombie cannon fodder. Of course my alteration to Duncan's scheme was to add the crimson fatigues on the walkers to signify their service to the Crimson Company, I had the idea that the Company likes to infect Imperial Guard regiments that wear red or have a form of red in their names, hence why the leading Poxwalker is wearing a Commissar's greatcoat.

In addition a lesson from the manager at my local GW has finally allowed me to get a handle on spray painting colours that aren't Chaos Black. My ability to spray Corax White and Death Guard Green has improved dramatically, hence my choice to paint the Poxwalkers next as they required a spraycoat of the former, that when washed with Athonian Camoshade produced the repulsive green skin that makes up most of their finished scheme.

Next up is the Foul Blightspawn, a figure i've been looking forward to painting for the unique details on it and the chance to add my own bloody and slimy details to the classic paint scheme.

LotN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Group 1.jpg (94.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Group 2.jpg (86.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Group 3.jpg (86.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Group 4.jpg (88.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Back.jpg (98.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Poxwalkers Back 2.jpg (96.5 KB, 6 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode