Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain** - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 07:16 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Thanks @DaisyDuke

Finished the top details, not bothering with supports underneath. Aside from going in and GSing weld lines all over the place to fill in little gaps my brain has already moved on to building the walkways. That should be interesting. I'm currently thinking of doing support sections that can be placed whatever way they need to with walkway sections separate that sit on top (magnets, for sure). For now here's pics of the top details and some full shots of Sump Station #1 . I'll be coming back to it once I know how the walkway is going to connect up to that gap in the railing out front.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 07:25 PM

post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
Man, it gets better and better!!
Thanks! Just for fun here's one last pic of it with a couple tiles for reference before I put everything away.

Can't wait to get down on the walkways. Gotta get some more supplies first, I ran out of what I use for the trim on walkway platforms and have to get more but need to buy in bulk and order in so who knows how long that will take.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 12:56 PM

That looks damn awesome dude! When it all comes together that will make some really amazing battles. Personally I'd be inclined to create some high level walkways and vertical scatter terrain (ladders up to 1st floor from the top of trenches etc. That would really open up the board but create some cool LOS blocks.
Cant see the squad one turn, then "whoooah, how'd they get into combat with me!" Goddamn genestealers.
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

It's worth keeping in mind that this table is entirely designed for Shadow War/Necromunda when thinking of heights and all-around accessibility. In 40k there's no need for ladders to get up to places since terrain doesn't effect movement much and in Shadow War the models aren't supposed to be able to traverse it without some sort of special upgrade or ability that helps them navigate vertical distances.

I've been thinking of how to add in another level of walkways above the one I'm currently planning but everything I've thought of so far only makes it very hard to reach into the centre of the table. Once I build the walkways I'm currently planning and another sump station I'll have a total of 5 levels at varying heights. I could try adding a 6th by doing tiny little catwalks between the pillars I have planned but it's currently tricky for me to develop a reason for them being there with the plan as-is. Definitely rolling around in my mind though.

As for LoS, I'll be adding in ramshackle added-on defenses only if once I get everything built and laid out it's still necessary. The pipe system will be running underneath the walkways to help block things right off the hop. Goddamn Genestealers will ruin your day with great ease on this board, I promise you

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-22-17, 06:54 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Dude this looks amazing! And I am always a slut for Necromunda-specific terrain. I love it!
ntaw likes this.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-22-17, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, the walkways I had planned are not going to work. My table isn't flat in that there's 1/4" height differences all over the place on the top that essentially stops me from being able to put a modular walkway system on top of a modular board...or at least my brain isn't able to come up with it. I spent a few hours a couple nights ago with the board out and paper cutouts of what I planned on building and came up with this solution.

The sump station I built will have a raised platform in front of it with stairs coming off either side, and I'll build another one the same way that, in this picture, would sit opposite of it. The three squares will be big support pillars with ramshackle sniper nest sort of platforms up top. The idea will be you have to use a full movement/advance to get up there or be deployed up there (unless you can FLY of course). The big square off to the side will be a large 10x10" platform with a freight elevator on it. I'll also be making some raised foot bridges to go over any canals that need to be gone over. Pipes just kinda sit around doing whatever at this point. Once I get those things done I'll see where the board's at, there's more ideas if I need to fill in some more space.
Brother Dextus likes this.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-27-17, 05:48 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I'm not sure I understand your predicament - can you not just have a bridge that is bigger than necessary, for example a "metal sheet" that someone cut or some pipes/etc. that hang over both sides? If it's a little crooked, that shouldn't matter, should it?

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-27-17, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
I'm not sure I understand your predicament - can you not just have a bridge that is bigger than necessary, for example a "metal sheet" that someone cut or some pipes/etc. that hang over both sides? If it's a little crooked, that shouldn't matter, should it?
Just to preface this, I had dozens of paper cutouts of walkways at full scale and tried several different modulations of the table before giving up on what my idea of the walkways would be. None of them worked without insanely variable walkways lengths.

The real trick is that when you build walkways for terrain on a flat table if a thing doesn't meet up you nudge the terrain piece over a centimetre and all problems are solved. I can't nudge a sump station over, it's in the tile it sits in. Not only would I have to break the railings off and rejig the connection to the walkways but I would have to have too large a variety of walkway lengths since there's no way, on a modular table, to predict where terrain elements will end up being. My other thought was to build support structures so that walkways could go halfway or something then go the rest of the way to their destination but again with a modular table and terrain pieces that can't be nudged closer to each other it just didn't work out without just resting pieces on top of other pieces, which I think looks [not great] otherwise I'd have just bought one of the million MDF options for all this.

The issue came down to this: I don't want to spend eons setting up my table. I want to put the squares down and put terrain on it without trying to space things out and dick around with stuff; I just want it to work so dice can be rolled. Having terrain elements separate from each other makes that a hell of a lot easier to accomplish. I'll still have raised walkways over canals all over the place but the walkways won't be the 'main level' of play any more, that will be the current top of the table. I've also decided that I will need longer walkways with a 'hose down' station or two to span the 'pool' area, so there will be plenty of terrain congestion and levels of play offered still.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 10-27-17 at 08:10 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode