Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain** - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-29-17, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I've put foamcore on the bottom of all the tiles and have started adding mesh to the tops. Been pinning away as I can manage the time to pull a couple tiles out.

I also have (I think) sufficient 2" cuts for trench walls and have started doing only the straightest of cuts for the finishing pieces on the tops. Thinking I'll be shoving a finishing nail through strategic points in the foamcore tops to hold them in place while the glue dries and for rivets in the long run of things when I get the mesh done.

Yes, I could do the edges and the trim together and save a step. Figured I'd save the frustration of trying to hold the previously rolled plastic mesh in place while getting it all square and pretty. 10/16 tiles meshed so far.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-30-17, 02:28 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Impressive start, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I also like your use of diy materials
ntaw likes this.

post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-30-17, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man78 View Post
Impressive start, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I also like your use of diy materials
Thanks pal! This project has really been done on a shoe-string budget but it can quickly get pretty expensive. I happened to get a lot of the stuff I needed for this project for almost free from job sites and off cuts, as well I have a healthy supply of tools from my background in home renovations/carpentry that have helped out a ton along the way.

In lieu of that, this project has currently cost me ~$40 where it would have been probably closer to $150-200 had I bought everything new for the first time. Things like a caulking gun for styrofoam adhesive, putty knives and spackle/filler, sand/moss/texture adding elements in general, and access to power tools (bandsaw saved the day on all that foam cutting) are things that get used again and again but I already had it all from my previous dealings.

As for the project's progress, everything looks good for me being done the mesh and onto more foamcore in the next day or two.

EDIT: Or I could get to it today.

Spoticus likes this.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 04-30-17 at 09:46 PM.

post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-01-17, 12:24 AM

Spoticus's Flag is: USA

I look forward to seeing the continued progress on this. Very impressive!
ntaw likes this.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-01-17, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoticus View Post
I look forward to seeing the continued progress on this. Very impressive!
Thanks pal! Just for that here's what the B tiles look like with the top pinned down:

I'll have a couple hours to throw at it again tomorrow, looking to get at least four more tiles 'topped'. I'm actually really stoked to get through these broad stroke details and down to the nitty gritty additions that will make this board look way cooler.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-01-17, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Holy fucking Emperor I am buying a table saw with delicate little blades for foamcore. This ruler and knife (I am using a bigger and better knife than before, way more appropriate blades) thing is far too time consuming.

8/16 tiles topped, if I can get the other 8 done by the end of the week I'll consider myself on schedule....whatever that means. I just wanna get to the fun details already!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-02-17, 08:02 AM

This looks bloody good!
I cant quite picture how it will look finished, but certainly looking forward to what you come up with.
ntaw likes this.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-02-17, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
This looks bloody good!
I cant quite picture how it will look finished, but certainly looking forward to what you come up with.
Thanks! Let's see if I can describe my vision a little bit here...

The tops (main floor) will look pretty much as they are, though I will be adding manholes here and there once I get to that stage. The trench/canals will have popsicle stick 'straps' every few inches that run across the bottom and up the walls; the unfinished top of foamcore wall and cut popsicle stick will be covered by a foamcore topper about the same size as the strips present (the walls sit flush with the bits I just nailed down). Added bonus, this will mean anyone being shot at from across a trench will likely be partially obscured as those edges will be 1/4" up from the mesh floor. There will also be the occasional drainage pipe coming into the trench/canals, and plenty of grime everywhere (sand and moss mixed into the PVA). There's also a three tile 'pool' area that will have two raised drain sections at the join between tiles, one of which busted out with a ladder or something nifty like that.

I'll try and get through to some of those details soon so that this thing can really start to take shape!
Brother Dextus likes this.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-08-17, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY DONE. If I ever do something like this again I will do it better and take less than half the time I have here (which was a god damned stupid amount of time spent ).

A selection of tiles with the tops attached:

Some of the connections look a little borky right now, that will neaten up a bit once I get more done.

Here's the fully raised tile's look:

Credit goes where it's due, that Tuborg (and several of its friends) helped me get through cutting almost an entire 20x30" sheet of foamcore into 3/16" strips for this step.

Into the canals!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-08-17, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Did all the canal walls today. Going a little cross-eyed from cutting foamcore...getting close to done though!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode