Iron Warriors - The Disgruntled Marines - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-20-16, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I had a phenomenally productive day yesterday; got my true scale marines to the point where its just the waist to finish the join and put the finishing touches to my 'Erasmus Golg' conversion, as well as a HH Primus Medicae, a legion sgt and started putting paint onto my WH Fest legion Praetor/Warsmith.

I'm hoping to get all the green stuff work finished on xmas eve so I can spray and start batch painting in the new year.

First up, the HH characters:

The Legion sgt was a simple job; I got some bits from Anvil Industries and wanted to see how they fared with various glues/resin/plastic etc, and a Sgt seemed like something that would be adequate for an initial tester.
Sgt with bolter and power axe.

I saw a post on an FB group about HH apothecaries in terminator armour; seemed like a cool conversion to use up a spare body I had. Golg started out as a standard Sgt, but I got carried away with green stuff and a scalpel!

Golg is made with a standard BaC cata body, the head from one of the admech breacher robots ('cos it had lots of cables on 'is 'ead), and a standard chainfist arm, but with a lens i found in the bits box (think its eldar by the look of it). Loin cloth is from the 40k termie lord trimmed to fit and the other arm is a mixture of lots of bits; cata heavy flamer arm completely cut back, a 40k termie combi melta, top half of a marine power pack and a drum mag from a BaC combi bolter. I also added various bits of cables, and guitar string (which I'm really getting the hang of working with now). Really happy with how the underslung combi melta turned out, although I think I might add in some extra small guitar strings/twisted wires to it.

The medicae is again a standard plastic cata body, with basically a modified combi bolter and narthecium. The narthecium was a lot of fiddly work - I had to cut back the chainblade base where it connects to the fist and then add a 1mm bit of plasticard to raise up the drill part, which is mounted on half of one of the grenade harnesses. The bolter arm is essentially the standard combi bolter with the half that doesn’t have the hand attached completely cut back at the barrel and mag. I replaced the barrel with a dark eldar pistol barrel and then added in a couple of toxin chambers from the apothecary back pack. I also added the back of the dark eldar pistol to replace the drum mag that got cut off (and then handily put on Golg) and added a bit of leftover from the narthecium to finish it off. I found some plastic cable and guitar string to finish off the connections from the arms to the body.

Legion Praetor/Warsmith is really only posted because he is stored in the same Tupperware box as the other cata terminators.

Sorry for the rubbish photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_26_38_Pro.jpg (285.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_27_13_Pro.jpg (268.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_27_47_Pro.jpg (272.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_27_35_Pro.jpg (267.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_27_57_Pro.jpg (284.9 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-20-16, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

For the truescale marines, I had a lot of help from thebuilder… but still had some problems, mainly due to inexperience and poor planning. I had started off with an old VeteranSgt tutorial and then switched half way through to thebuilders strategy.
The problems I had were mainly down to gluing arms on before doing the torso connections (which are still to do) - I need to work carefully on some of them to be able to finish them off.

Overall I'm happy with the results so far, but I need to practice a bit more; should have probably NOT started on a primary squad and characters!!

I have lined up the dudes in the picture in order of when I did them, so you can see the changes in the method (sort of). The guy on the left (with power sword and arm missing) is the first I did, followed by Honsou….. Then in the second picture there is a guy with green stuff on one calf only, which is when I switched method.

For my next time round, I will try and standardise and also beef up the thighs so they look less anorexic.

Shit pics again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_21_36_Pro.jpg (449.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_21_47_Pro.jpg (440.1 KB, 12 views)
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-20-16, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

A run down of the individuals in the chosen squad:

Honsou (with his fancy metal arm) leads his chosen warriors and protectors, with The Newborn represented as per the artwork (although I think he might be proxied with power maul or something for games, havent yet decided).
Caradas Grendel totes his trademark melta gun and old school helmet. He is armed with a dagger to reflect the knife fight he has with some ultras on Calth.
There are four marines with bolter/power sword which are a mix of actual chaos ones and some imperial ones with notches/nicks in the blade. I'll paint these up with a bit of rust for added chaosyness.
The three remaining guys are bolter chainswords.

The main thing I wanted to achieve was truescale and heroic/dynamic poses (although I realised that theres actually two blokes in the exact same pose GADDAMMIT!!!) and I'm pretty hapy with the results, cant wait to get some colour on them.

HAZARDS STRIPES AT THE READY!!

Aaaaaand shit pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_41_08_Pro.jpg (268.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_32_50_Pro.jpg (292.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_37_05_Pro.jpg (250.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_40_49_Pro.jpg (270.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_38_07_Pro.jpg (277.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_40_40_Pro.jpg (282.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_32_23_Pro.jpg (310.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_37_25_Pro.jpg (284.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_37_39_Pro.jpg (266.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_33_14_Pro.jpg (267.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_33_00_Pro.jpg (282.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161219_21_37_54_Pro.jpg (259.7 KB, 10 views)

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-16, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm terrible for starting another project before I've completed one.

Started making a Land Raider, with magnetised sponsons (mainly for transport) and hinged doors, as well as extra armour and a fully working inner section.

So far I have made the doors.

Am planning to do some heavy armour plating to the outside and hopefully cover up those unsightly bits of wire, but im pretty pleased with what Ive achieved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161230_21_15_34_Pro.jpg (288.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161230_21_15_26_Pro.jpg (270.8 KB, 7 views)
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-31-16, 05:10 AM

koosbeer's Flag is: South Africa

The door hinges are smart. I was wondering how to do that myself. Good job!

“From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!”
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosbeer View Post
The door hinges are smart. I was wondering how to do that myself. Good job!
The original tutorial has you cutting the centre of the door hinge away, but on FW doors that leaves then incredibly brittle!
This way does need some sort of retrofitting to hide the bit of wire, but a small bit of plasticard should solve that and be relatively easy to integrate into a normal LR side.
In my case, its a doddle - im bulking it out with way more armour plating!
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

15/01/17 UPDATE!

I have spent a while reading and updating my army plans to align with the new Traitor Legion Codex (supplement). First post is now updated with the plans for the Iron Warriors, however I have also deleted all non-IW lists (these are migrated across to my Army List page, linky in the footer).

Additionally, my better half is trying to curtail my natural hobby butterfly-like attention span. so I am only allowed to start a project (painting, modelling or basing) until ive actually finished another. Apparently taking over the study and spare room with half finished projects is no longer a valid hobby space.

So I did some work on this guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170115_21_34_23_Pro.jpg (329.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170115_21_34_41_Pro.jpg (337.3 KB, 14 views)
koosbeer and fantasticaldave like this.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 02:03 PM

koosbeer's Flag is: South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
15/01/17 UPDATE!

I have spent a while reading and updating my army plans to align with the new Traitor Legion Codex (supplement). First post is now updated with the plans for the Iron Warriors, however I have also deleted all non-IW lists (these are migrated across to my Army List page, linky in the footer).

Additionally, my better half is trying to curtail my natural hobby butterfly-like attention span. so I am only allowed to start a project (painting, modelling or basing) until ive actually finished another. Apparently taking over the study and spare room with half finished projects is no longer a valid hobby space.

So I did some work on this guy!
Im just going to steal all your ideas! Im loving the paint scheme of your knight. I want to combine it with the red/blue paint scheme of the loyal houses. Also, you added just enough spikes which is awesome. Keep up the good work! "Iron within! Iron without!"

“From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!”
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-17-17, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks koosbeer. I didnt add too much in the way of spikes or chaos icons (only one on the shield on his leg) - IWs arent 'proper' chaos in my opinion!
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-17-17, 07:33 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Dude the Knight is coming along quite nice! Im digging the marines! thats a hell of a lot of work being put into each one! Keep it up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
iron warriors , project log

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode