Medic Marine's Medical Misadventure with paint - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-09-16, 01:00 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Agreed, seeing it close up confirms that the model is all kinds of awesome. I think you are progressing very well.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Febris Militarius

Medic Marine's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Agreed, seeing it close up confirms that the model is all kinds of awesome. I think you are progressing very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
That is turning into a lovely looking model. Can't wait to see it finished. Keep it up.
Thank you for the kind words, keeps the motivation high!

Bones and gold have been washed with the parchment with layered and highlights applied, need to work up the courage to put writing on the parchment.

chap wash.jpg

I do believe that I have come to an understanding of what I want chapter wise, and for a theme of my force. I wish to make a strike force of Ultramarines (I know bitch move...) but theme them as the strike force arriving with the Dark Angels to purge Fenris. Seems like a good way to motivate me and allow me to use multiple company designs.

Life is all anatomy lessons and paint brushes

Last edited by Medic Marine; 05-10-16 at 07:41 AM.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic Marine View Post
need to work up the courage to put writing on the parchment.
I use a .05 mm fine tip pen personally. Currently using a 'Copic' brand one.

Quote:
but theme them as the strike force arriving with the Dark Angels to purge Fenris.
Nice idea! Those filthy mutants need purging anyway... moving to Baal next?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Febris Militarius

Quote:
I use a .05 mm fine tip pen personally. Currently using a 'Copic' brand one.
Idea stolen! Thank you
Nice idea! Those filthy mutants need purging anyway... moving to Baal next?
I read the fluff for this and was rather sad, I used to have a full Battle company of Disciples of Caliban... could have eradicated space puppies for the Lion.

Either way, I found a fun project in this and it will keep me sane. Below is the chaplain so far.
Bolter has been painted red (base). The Purity seals have been highlighted and I found one I had missed (D'oh!)
The second edge highlight went on and I have tried to clean up the thick lines, a better smaller brush may be required. Also tackled my first smurf plus surface for the chapter seal on the left shoulder. 20160511_062502.jpg20160511_062450.jpg

Cheers

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Febris Militarius

Default Chaplain Azygous of the 6th Company

Chaplain update time...
I have glued the bloke together as I have mostly detail work done, I am pleased with how the skull helm bone and shoulder/knee skulls came out. Karak bone base, with a moderate wash of agrax earthshade then raised area painted with ushabdi bone and highlighted with screaming skull. Avoided the recesses.

chap.jpg
Placed my first ever transfer and hated it. Not a fun process, but alas such is life I suppose. Not displeased with the Ultra blue I came up with. Liked a tute I saw for a libby and went with that as my Blue. Caldor Sky base, then recess shade with drakenhof night shade wash. Highlight with teclis blue, final highlight of lotherin blue needed to finish. Need to go slower and layer up in the future got rushy and didn't think my paint enough.
chap wash.jpg'.jpg
Put the shattered aquilla as a stone, and plan to highlight with admin grey after a wash of sepia, then bicarb snow to the majority.

Please fire off some criticism. Ideas for the eyes are greatly appreciated, feeling red, might try a subtle glow as well.

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 07:57 AM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Starting to look great! The one criticism I have is on the highlight lines on the back of his leg. At places they are a bit wide and don't continue in a smooth way.

I put the parts I'm referring to in red circles here:

Touching up these with the black will make a big difference I expect.

On glowing eyes here are some ideas!

A quick intro with an example:
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/2011/...es-effect.html

More expansive tutorial on OSL in general by the same guy:
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/2011/...powerfist.html

and a great tutorial specific on glowing eye lenses:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article...-eyes-by-cyril

For the osl on my marines I use a reverse of the last tutorial. Painting the glow colour around the eyes and blending/feathering down into the armour colour.

Have fun!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 07:59 AM

The black and blue areas look great, I think I'd be more sold on the bone if it wasn't for the contrast over his forehead. That could stand a drybrush of Ushabti I think, to just bring it closer to the face and make it look a bit less like a concave area.

My method for transfers is (when I use them) to paint up the base, then gloss varnish it. Have a drop of detergent in a saucer of water to soak the transfer, cut as much of the clear transfer paper away as possible, once soaked, place it on the mini with a brush. Then wait for it to dry on in the correct position. Paint over the transfer to give the weathered appeareance and address any seams around the edges, then matte varnish the whole model to get rid of the gloss.

For the eyes, red is a great colour to go with skulls! I suggest mephiston red with a patch of orange on the raised lenses (trollslayer orange should do) then a prick of yellow to indicate pupils. Wash the lot with black or purple, then gloss varnish it.

Iraqiel

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-16, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Febris Militarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Starting to look great! The one criticism I have is on the highlight lines on the back of his leg. At places they are a bit wide and don't continue in a smooth way.

Touching up these with the black will make a big difference I expect.
Thank for this, I need to still do the knee, thanks for the eye ideas
Quote:
The black and blue areas look great, I think I'd be more sold on the bone if it wasn't for the contrast over his forehead. That could stand a drybrush of Ushabti I think, to just bring it closer to the face and make it look a bit less like a concave area.
I gave it a dry brush seems to have really helped IMO thanks!

Rather proud of how the stone aquilla came out, I slapped him up onto the base think it looks alright, gonna do the skull up for practice and then snow cause I have never done snow bases, and I think it would look cool against the ultra blue.
chap head.jpg
Feel alright about the gold, think better highlighting would be better. I am pleased with purity seal wax portions though a touch of orange might really make it better. Best scroll work I have ever come up with. Eyes need to be done but I am deciding what/how to do them.
chap shoulder.jpgchap.jpg
chapp.jpg
Thanks for the feedback, been enjoying painting this bad boy.
Given that he has come along nicely I started putting primary colors on my libby. Thinking of taking off the skull on thee talbord front so his rank is codicer. Want him to be an attached librarian not of the 6th company.
libby.jpg
Lastly any tips for painting the shoulder trim orange ofthe 6th company?
Cheers!

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-16, 04:56 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

The overall effect of the chaplain is successful I think. Solid colors and nice contrasts. I don't recall what your goal is, table top quality and done or continually learning and getting better. For tabletop quality you're right on. To improve, some of the details need to be handled differently.

I wouldn't recommend painting on the sprue. Invariably, this means that mold lines get missed and then there are the attachment points which don't have paint or primer on them once removed. I always paint marines in parts: head+chest+legs+base, left arm+weapon, right arm+weapon, backpack. This allows me to test fit everything before painting it, adjust the shoulder pads, line up weapons and hands, balance over the base. And I can clean up all the flash and mold lines.

When it comes to highlighting, it looks like you could also stand to thin your paints out more. This would have helped quite a bit on the edge highlights on the black parts of the armor. Right now they're too wide as well as rough/uneven.

Quote:
Lastly any tips for painting the shoulder trim orange ofthe 6th company?
Cheers!
When working over a black base coat, the most important thing to remember is to build up layers of color to your highlights. With a white base coat hot ate essentially starting with the highlights and shading down. With a black base coat you are starting with the shadows and building up to the highlights. It's also worth considering that most miniature paints are translucent and not totally opaque.

When painting the orange trim over a black base coat you can do a few things. Paint a layer or two of white over the black and then paint the orange. Or you can layer up thin coats of brown, dark red, light red, and then orange. I prefer the second method and have used it extensively on my khornate armies. You can also do some combination as well.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-16, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Febris Militarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I wouldn't recommend painting on the sprue. Invariably, this means that mold lines get missed and then there are the attachment points which don't have paint or primer on them once removed. I always paint marines in parts: head+chest+legs+base, left arm+weapon, right arm+weapon, backpack. This allows me to test fit everything before painting it, adjust the shoulder pads, line up weapons and hands, balance over the base. And I can clean up all the flash and mold lines.

When it comes to highlighting, it looks like you could also stand to thin your paints out more. This would have helped quite a bit on the edge highlights on the black parts of the armor. Right now they're too wide as well as rough/uneven.
Thanks for this, definitely going for it on the libby this way.

When working over a black base coat, the most important thing to remember is to build up layers of color to your highlights. With a white base coat hot ate essentially starting with the highlights and shading down. With a black base coat you are starting with the shadows and building up to the highlights. It's also worth considering that most miniature paints are translucent and not totally opaque.

When painting the orange trim over a black base coat you can do a few things. Paint a layer or two of white over the black and then paint the orange. Or you can layer up thin coats of brown, dark red, light red, and then orange. I prefer the second method and have used it extensively on my khornate armies. You can also do some combination as well.
Thank you! over all I just wanted to paint and paint better than I did before, so actually listening to the advise I get. I suppose table top was never in my skill previous so if I can get there I am doing better. Above table top maybe by the time I finish school.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode