We Will All Go Together... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-16, 12:57 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Glad to hear you got back and had such a nice time.

Plasma is not wasted on Vets, I'd much prefer to hit on threes, especially if for cost saving you take a Lord Commissar as HQ and roll old grudges on warlord traits for that sweet sweet preferred enemy...

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-16, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

So the project didn't get of the ground as quickly as i would have liked. Getting home from four months away requires some time to adjust, find work again and move out from your parents house to feel like an acceptable human being again. So I was admittedly distracted. However July is coming, which would mark a great time to start everything up again now that my life is returning to some semblance of normality. But before that, I have some questions, or rather, some ideas I would love feedback on.

Chiefly, the colour scheme for my guard, displayed by a unnamed sergeant here:

I am thinking of changing the blue, my worry is, i paint everything blue anyway, and its very dark in normal light. A more lighter colour would be better. So I have narrowed it down to a few ideas. Firstly, a white, like this (which would entail a basing change to snow) :

Or a more space wolves style blue/grey colour. The leather would stay the same.

Which do you think would look better?

On the note of the bases, what do you think of the red? The idea behind it was they were fighting on a very volcanic planet, with a lot of industry, which has produced rust like soil. Or should I change it to a more traditional city fighting colour?

Anyway thanks in advance for your feedback, and please make any suggestions I haven't thought of.

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-16, 11:30 PM

I am also about to jump in with some Imperials (30k Solar Auxillia) and am choosing a basing scheme.

I flirted with the idea of white, but I kept coming back to darker, more practical colours. Purely based on my recent ponderings, I would be inclined to lean towards the blue/grey colours.

If you are looking for inspiration, have a little google for French World War 1 infantry uniform. Might be just what you are looking for :-)

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-16, 03:31 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

I agree that dark is the colour scheme usually associated with the Steel Legion, though I think they were brown shades traditionally.

What about using that blue as a base to work up to a lighter scheme in greys or whites?

Or, potentially, doing fire wastes soldiers and going for a 'glowing embers' colour scheme?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-16, 05:49 PM
thebuilder's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have 100 Steel Legion languishing in a box... This makes me want to grab them out!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-16, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_painter View Post
I am also about to jump in with some Imperials (30k Solar Auxillia) and am choosing a basing scheme.

I flirted with the idea of white, but I kept coming back to darker, more practical colours. Purely based on my recent ponderings, I would be inclined to lean towards the blue/grey colours.

If you are looking for inspiration, have a little google for French World War 1 infantry uniform. Might be just what you are looking for :-)
The French idea is a good one, the coats fit with the colour, and its great for the more primitive feel I want for my guard. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
I agree that dark is the colour scheme usually associated with the Steel Legion, though I think they were brown shades traditionally.

What about using that blue as a base to work up to a lighter scheme in greys or whites?

Or, potentially, doing fire wastes soldiers and going for a 'glowing embers' colour scheme?
What do you have in mind for a glowing embers idea? I cant picture it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuilder View Post
I have 100 Steel Legion languishing in a box... This makes me want to grab them out!
You really should, they are great models!

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-16, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Ok so just a quick update with the guard, I have tried a few new paint schemes out and I think i like this one:

Its a basecoat of the fang with a second coat of russ grey. I think it looks fairly similar to 'horizon blue' the colour of the French ww1 uniforms.

So as I repaint my two squads with the new colours, I have also worked on a couple of small conversions, such as adding a couple of vox-casters to my units, and the Platoon HQ. But my favourite project is my heay weapons squad:

The aim was a adding autocannon's whilst still using the steel legion models. I will get some more photos up when I have made some progress.

Let me know what you think.
Old Man78 likes this.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-16, 10:54 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I gotta say the white scheme looks great. Much more striking than the other two. Different painted squads look good in a force, I find, so long as the basing is the same to keep the theme going through the army. You could always imagine that elements of the force came from different theatres, including an ice planet, and hadn't been outfitted with appropriate uniforms by the Munitorum yet.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-12-16, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Hey guys, an update on the Rifle's.

I still wasn't happy with the colour scheme. And everything I tried didn't satisfy me. So I did what many people have done when painting the guard, and tired to real life examples. Now obviously the steel legion are based on the Wehrmacht, so I considered going down that route, but decided against it for a couple of reasons.

I was flicking through the four generations of codices I have for the guard, and I saw this picture:

And instantly new I liked it. It's a realistic looking uniform, and fits with the aesthetic I was trying to go for. I found another picture in the following codex with some colour ideas written with it.

So I tried it out on a couple of models, and I really like it.

The leather is the same as before, but the jackets are now death forest green with a nuln oil wash and highlighted again with death forest green.
The fatigues underneath are Tallarn sand with a sepia wash and a karak stone highlight.

Let me know what you think, and any suggestions to improve the scheme.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-16, 02:43 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

The new scheme be looks good. It strikes me as grittier than the slate blue color scheme. It might be worth trying out the color matching from the old codex, where the pants match the head wrap/ scarf and the inside of the great coat is similar.

I know these aren't ecstasy the same models so you don't have all the same areas to work with, but I think they might be a touch too simple. In particular, I'd try to lighten the gas mask. It would help to add variety and add a little more interest to the faces. Right now it looks like boots, gloves, pouches, gas mask, and bands/belts are all the same.

Cheers!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode