Word Bearers noob! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany

Default Word Bearers noob!

Hey guys,

I thought it would be fun to post my logs on here so I could get some constructive critisism!

I have finished a few things already, but I may post them anyways, to see what you guys think and see if I should fix anything!

First up is going to be a Maulerfiend!

I used Army Painter Dragon Red watered down to two layers. I find watering it down makes it easier to get the shade I want. As they say, "A thousand thin layers is better than one thick layer." Two seems to be the magic number for me, as it doesn't distort the details, but doesn't just look like a little bit of paint was brushed on.

I hope you like my stuff, and some of the stuff I am learning!

Please keep in mind, I am a new painter to miniatures, so I am not the best, but I enjoy doing it...

Last edited by Dark Apostle Marduk; 04-13-16 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Next up! Shading time!

I use Carroburg Crimson to shade it.

Please forgive my Khorne awful camera... it's a cheap phone!

Enjoy, and again, please, any and all advice would be awesome... if not for this model, something for the future would be awesome as well! Thanks!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 04:05 PM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

wow that is super red.

its difficult to give any input on this at the moment as cant really see a lot with these pictures.

Keep it up and lets see what updates you got for us next

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
wow that is super red.

its difficult to give any input on this at the moment as cant really see a lot with these pictures.

Keep it up and lets see what updates you got for us next

Yeah, sorry. I think I will take pictures with my SLR first to start with a baseline. My phone makes it look a lot bright than it actually is. With the shade on, it's far darker than it looks... especially when it's dried.

I will be drybrushing next, to make the highlights.

Thanks for the heads up though!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 09:46 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I might honestly go for a brown or black shade rather than a red one--the red is decent if you want it to look slick and gorey all over, but for decay, damage, weathering, or a more natural sense of recesses, shading and depth, you could consider another color shade! It adds a bit of variety to the monochrome hue there, as I see it.

The more recent photos do look a bit blurry--consider trying to hold your camera in both arms and brace those arms against the edge of your desk, or something. Some way to stabilize some of that shakiness!

Welcome to the hobby, and I look forward to seeing what this guy will turn out like once you get some metallics on there!

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-16, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Here are some better pictures shot with my SLR... I won't be lazy next time and just straight shoot with it to begin with!

This is really rough, as it's only the second stage, but after washing it I always drybrush to make it look clean and even out the rough tones on the model.

Also, the brown does sound like a good idea. I will try it out! What shade would you recommend I use? Maybe Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade?

[url=http://postimage.org/]

[url=http://postimage.org/]

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 01:23 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Apostle Marduk View Post
Maybe Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade?
Those two would be the GW staples, yeah. Nuln Oil is pretty good, though pretty close to black, but I'm still leaning towards it. I say don't be afraid to mix different amounts of both--try 1/2 and 1/2 of both, I say! Or 3/5 Nuln, 2/5 Agrax--feel free to play around with it until you find a combination or preference to your tastes! Maybe a dribble of the Carroberg Crimson in there too, if you hadn't already put down a layer of that.

There's no pressure to deliver your favorite combination right off the bat, honestly. I say this is the sort of thing where your ability to execute your imagination to your taste comes out with experience, so you're only going to learn how to get the results you want by trying out different things!

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

I will, no doubt, be trying this technique out on some of my other models. I have lots and lots that I need to paint... maybe even try it out on my Helldrake... I will probably start on a vanilla marine before I get into that big guy. hah.

As far as dry brushing goes, I am currently using Red Sunz Scarlett. The way I was taught to drybrush is to use almost no paint at all while wiping the brush over the model. However, after playing around a bit, I like to use a little bit more paint that way it evenly distributes the paint on the overly shadowed spots. In other words, it kind of cleans up the spots where the Carroburgh Crimson stuck to flat surfaces, but still adhearing to the raised surfaces showing the highlights.

I would like to see what your opinion is on the color for drybushing, while keeping the Word Bearers paint scheme in mind.

Last edited by Dark Apostle Marduk; 04-14-16 at 04:36 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Alrighty guys, here is the model after I finished dry brushing it. Again, it looks kind of messy, but when I actually start line detailing it will look a lot better! However, any and all recommendations for future models will always be appreciated!

As mentioned before, I dry brushed with Evil Sunz Scarlet. I used a little more paint than the average person because I wanted to fill the messy wash "leftovers". It seems to look better on the flat surfaces, which I mean not the "nooks and crannys", without the loss of shadowing in the recesses.

Enjoy!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys! So I moved on to do the metal items on the model. I always try to do this as my first "detail" stage just because I can paint over any mistakes I get on the model.

I always start with GW's Warplock Bronze as I like the rusty look of the metal. So, attached is the first stage of the metal "detail" phase.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode