Word Bearers noob! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany

Hello again all!

After I finished painting the metal with Warplock Bronze, I began dry brushing over the bronze with Army Painter's Plate Mail Metal. I like the look of this as it's dark enough, but not too dark. I also don't like the super shiny metallic paint you see out there.

Attached is the finished result of the dry brushing!

Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 03:39 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I guess it's too late now but a simple red I used for Word Bearers back in 4th was scab red and a magenta wash. Whatever the equivalent is now... Carroburg crimson would make a good stand in for magenta and really any dark red would do the trick. It sounds overly simple to paint armour that way but I've painted power armour in far more complicated (therefore time consuming) ways since and it hasn't looked a whole lot better than a simple basecoat and wash.

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I guess it's too late now but a simple red I used for Word Bearers back in 4th was scab red and a magenta wash. Whatever the equivalent is now... Carroburg crimson would make a good stand in for magenta and really any dark red would do the trick. It sounds overly simple to paint armour that way but I've painted power armour in far more complicated (therefore time consuming) ways since and it hasn't looked a whole lot better than a simple basecoat and wash.
It's never too late! As I said before, I can always use advice for the future!

Either way, is my Maulerfiend looking completely wack, or is it coming out okay?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 07:05 PM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

at this stage its hard to tell.
i have had several models that looked awful until a bit of detail went on then they magicaly transform to passable.

only note is you have some splash over on the cables on the ass some cables which are red have small amounts of silver on it and vice versa.

what you got planned next for it?

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I am starting line details with the silver on the lines. Basically all over the chaos symbol as well as the outlining lines of the armor plates. I'm about a quarter of the way through. It's got a lot of lines so this is, by far, the longest part as I am attempting to be as neat and precise as possible.

I will have that finished by tonight and post pictures. Honestly, to me, it's starting to look very good with the line details.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-16, 11:28 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

A darker line between the bright red and silver trim will look good. When I did my Word Bearers I painted the entire model dark red, then magenta wash everywhere and then painted everything black that wasn't the red armour plating. From there when I painted the silver trims it meant there was a thin line of black in between the trim and the red armour. Painting the red armour was fast but then going over everything else with black was probably the most time consuming stage

I'd continue with what you're doing now and see how it comes out. It's good to test things out first using spare parts that you won't need- I've painted plenty of different schemes in my time but there's no substitute for testing how colours go together on an actual model. It's best to paint something new on infantry so if your first model doesn't look as good as you were hoping for it may only be one model from a unit of ten

And it's absolutely true that the early stages don't tell you too much until the model is finished!

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-16, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I'd continue with what you're doing now and see how it comes out. It's good to test things out first using spare parts that you won't need- I've painted plenty of different schemes in my time but there's no substitute for testing how colours go together on an actual model. It's best to paint something new on infantry so if your first model doesn't look as good as you were hoping for it may only be one model from a unit of ten

Not to sound condescending, but I can't believe I have never thought of that!!

I have so many bits laying around, that would work out wonderfully!

Thanks for the great idea!

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-16, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Alrighty guys, next up is the line detail!

I used Ironbreaker to do the lines in the armor which seems to have been the standard in Word Bearer's armor.

Hope you guys enjoy!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-16, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Last, but not least, some finishing touch ups. (Places I painted that shouldn't have been painted one color or another. As well as fixing some noted errors.) As well as some finishing details!

Now, I want to mention that I am absolute garbage at coloring and decorating the bases of the models. I have learned some new techniques that I would love to use, however I haven't yet purchased the paints/scenery required for this... so the bases will be finished at a later date.

Enjoy!

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-16, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Next up! This should be a lot of fun!!! I will be using lots of your guy's recommendations for this guy and see how he turns out! (If it comes out a way I do not like, I don't mind stripping it and re doing it.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode