Space Wolves Painting Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Default Space Wolves Painting Log

Name pretty much says it. I?ll be trying to keep a constant log of my painting of a Space Wolves Force. Naturally, comments are more than welcome.

Grey Hunter

This is the mini in its current state. As all my minis, it tends to look shittier and shittier the more you zoom into the picture. However, in the grand scheme of a small force, this is a standard that I can accept. I can do better, but at some point I need to draw a line between the (insane) amount of time it takes me to paint Space Wolves and all their details, and a look that I find acceptable.
That being said, I will clean up and correct this model in its largest impurities, once it?s done.

The process to get here was fairly standard. I?ll not go into the details of every element, as they are repeated later anyway. These are just the basic layers:

- 2 very thin coats of Abaddon Black as base
- 2 very thin coats of The Fang
- 1 generous and rough do-over of Agrax Earthshade
- 1 ca. 50:50 water mix with Russ Grey anywhere but the recesses
- 1 round of Fenrisian Grey for highlights.

As mentioned already, I am extremely slow, so not only will I not add techniques with more layers, but I will actually try to use less.

I will keep working the backpack now.

Backpack

I hate doing backpacks. All in all they have little visual impact, and in the case of Space Wolves, a lot of elements. This one has an animal skull attached to it. It?s fair to assume that it?s a wolf.

As I said, I want to try working with fewer layers, so this one has been directly based with The Fang and painted as follows. I skipped a base layer of Abaddon Black. Anyone insane enough to read through all of this, I?d like to hear your opinion on that. Anyway:

- 2 very thin layers of The Fang
- 1 heavy coat of Nuln Oil (should have been Agrax Earthshade to be consistent with the rest of the mini, my mistake, bleh)
- 1 layer of Russ Grey that came out way too thick, especially on the upper part of the backpack As said, it had almost been a year since I had touched a brush. You tend to lose a feeling for the right consistency in paint, although it comes back quickly.

For the trimming:
- 1 layer of Balthasar Gold
- 1 wash with Agrax Earthshade
- 1 highlighting with Gehenna?s Gold
- 1 final highlight with Runefang Steel

I?ve come to get used to this tone of gold, although I found it rather coppery in the beginning. I?m OK with it now.

Moving on to the skull.

Backpack ? skull

First, I give the skull a thin coat of White Scar.

As with all whites, distribution for me comes out very uneven in terms of consistency and dryness-moisture. I hate white colors. Seems like there?s no way of turning them either into a wash or a way too dry and thick layer.
I proceed with another thin layer of Ushabti Bone. By now I?m not very pleased with how this is going.

- Next is a very heavy hand of Agrax Earthshade.

- After that, comes a more careful, thin and dry layer of Ushabti Bone over the elevated areas of the skull.

- Finally, I apply a 3:1 mix of Ushabti Bone and White Scar highlight for the most elevated and protruding areas of the skull. I try to not overdo it.

- After painting the string holding the skull (fidgety business) in Leadbelcher with Nuln Oil wash and Runefang Steel highlights, I?m done with this skull jazz.

I will keep working on the backpack tonight and hopefully complete it.

Last edited by wide_ocean; 02-27-16 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 05:41 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Well first question whats the go with the photo editing? Cant you just crop out things you don't want?

Apart from that looks to be a good job, still the baby blue space wolves but each to their own.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
Well first question whats the go with the photo editing? Cant you just crop out things you don't want?

Apart from that looks to be a good job, still the baby blue space wolves but each to their own.
Thanks. Yeah, the photo editing is terrible. I'll try to improve that in the following posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 08:06 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

It just seems pointless for what your doing if your trying to focus the image on. Maybe just crop out the extra stuff or in the shot itself focus on the miniture.

But practice makes perfect so try again, and again and again.

Though as i said good painting.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Not much to report today. Dedicated some time to this head:

Obviously, heads are maybe the trickiest part in a Space Marine mini. I find it really hard to get a water-color mix that covers well without stuffing up recesses or being so runny it acts as a wash.

- First come several layers of a thin-but-not-too thin mix of Kislev Flesh and Ceramite White. I'd say about 50:50. Even after several layers the resin still shines through but as more layers will follow, this should be enough.

- Next is just a layer of Eshin Grey on anything that isn't skin. I plan on going with grey hair (surprise...), so this should be a versatile base for the rest of the head.

Done for today, hopefully more work done tomorrow!

Last edited by wide_ocean; 02-25-16 at 11:42 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-16, 10:50 PM

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

Very nice; the first dude above looks really nice. I strongly suggest using some sort of primer though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur View Post
Very nice; the first dude above looks really nice. I strongly suggest using some sort of primer though.
Thank you. Yes, this was a one-time experiment of skipping the priming. I have this conspiracy theory of GW suggesting the use of much more paint than actually necessary at least in the case of the standard I try to achieve, but I do see the need for primer.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-16, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Got some more progress for this head:

Of course not without some sort of hiccup:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Overall I'm ok with the look. It has some sort of chaos-y vibe to it, probably due to the overly dark Azurmen Blue wash around the eyes, and the face looks way darker in natural light than under an LED lamp, but I'm not going to put more time into it.

Basically, a bunch of thin layers of Cadian Fleshtone washed with Reikland Fleshshade and highlighted with Kislev Flesh.

Last edited by wide_ocean; 02-29-16 at 03:51 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 11:07 AM

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

Looks mighty fine! I really don't like GW's spoonfeed-y new paints categorization, but that's just me. Not sure if they advocate using a lot more paint than required, but if you feel ripped off by GW you can always look into other paints ranges. I use a LOT of different paints ranges and I haven't yet found one I would call "bad".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-16, 12:26 AM
Siskin's Flag is: Poland

Really nice job! You put a lot of effort to what you paint and looking for shortcuts is natural - I would not recommend skipping priming (I use automotive grey primer when I use canned stuff, and since I got my air brush I have been using polyurethane primer from Vallejo air range)

I really like your attention to details and having painted 10 Deathcompany I am with you on the backapacks with all the strings and ropes - so painfully slow to paint for me.

Siskin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode