Militarum Tempestus - Gorvorna - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

So with all squads assembled I have started base coating with Chaos black spray. First time spray painting. I think it is great and going to save me loads of time + I get a nice and even coat. Downside are the fumes, even with windows open + having a dust mask the I can only do short bursts. So unfortunately due to fumes - I haven't done much, just 1x 10 man squad and 2x 5 man squads.
To counter this problem of underestimation of fumes, I bought a proper respirator just waiting for it's arrival.

I have one pic of a spray painted scion:

Picture taking was hard - I think I have to stop being lazy and get the proper camera out for the next pictures.

After I have base coated everybody, I'll start by adding the greens and well... that's it. Black - green colour scheme. Oh yeah - I have to draw the squad idents and personal identification on everybody. Everyone in the same squad gets a different colour and then a matching dice to it - so I get to know who killed the chaos traitor

Also I have the varnish spray - my test squad "Echo" will get done first. If it doesn't affect the quality all of them will get the same treatment.

That's all for this week, hopefully next week will be more productive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-16, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Here is the paint scheme:

I have to do the squad markings still, but that is how everything is going to look.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-16, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I am back! Basically done no painting before the last two days since my last post back in March.
Space dilemma what I had has been solved - bought a new kitchen table and moved the old one for painting.
This is what it looks like:

Just a pic of a squad in progress:

Finished one model - the same tester you saw earlier:

Paint scheme turned out better than I thought, hopefully my skills will improve the more I get these done.
On the left shoulder is the regiment ident: a 2 what is suppose to be a snake forming the 2.
On the right shoulder is the squad ident and personal ident: E is for Echo squad and colour is to identify the soldier.

Also if you remember earlier that I complained about getting the magnet in the wrong place on the Commissar - well I fixed it - don't have a picture though. But hopefully you'll soon see a painted version

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-16, 08:42 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Love the paint scheme! I look forward to seeing this army finished! (how ever long from now that might be)

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-16, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, crap...
I have the first squad almost finished. But I am not happy with the idents. My painting quality was too poor, there is a raised line in the middle of the shoulder pad, which makes it hard to get a even line. Then I had a great idea that I'll do my own decals, looks great, doesn't it:

But, and there is a big but. Once I place it on the shoulder the colour doesn't show. It isn't strong enough against the dark green. I painted one shoulder pad white and placed the snake on it, looks brilliant but now I have a white shoulder pad instead of dark green. I painted around the snake - dark green, but there is a white line around the snake and it doesn't look good. (painted over the decal).

I like the shoulder pad as dark green, but I want the printed decals. Any ideas? I am out of them.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-16, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Got my better camera working, so here is pictures of the first squad painted and almost ready:

The tempestor has a magnetized left arm, so I can put what ever pistol is required.
One has vox, 6 standard hot-shots and 2 fully magnetized special weapons guys. One I put the flamer on and the other has a volley gun. Also the back is magnitized to accomodate the swap between a flamer.

Then the issue with the squad ident... Only thing I came up with is using a light grey for the shoulder pad and then painting the other side with Caliban green or leaving it grey. Only light grey I have is Ironbreaker, what glimmers too much, but that must do for testing:

Don't really like the half-half option or plain, so I decide to wash it with biel-tan green:

That actually looks quite good - going to order some other light greys so I can get the shoulder pad right colour, I still think it glimmers too much.
What do you guys think?
Also what do you about the snake?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-16, 07:30 PM

Fluketrain's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well done on the magnetising...you're clearly far more patient then I am!

I don't know if you're planning on it but some highlights on the black, and green (or even just the eyes) could be worth a try imo.

For the shoulder pad I agree, something non-metallic would probably work better.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-16, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

@Fluketrain - I enjoy building and magnetizing - painting not so much. Has much to do with that I am quite bad in it.
Any suggestions on what I should use to highlight the black?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-16, 09:06 PM

Fluketrain's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohar View Post
@Fluketrain - I enjoy building and magnetizing - painting not so much. Has much to do with that I am quite bad in it.
Any suggestions on what I should use to highlight the black?
A light grey is usually all you need.
You can try experiment with other colours. A slight brown/green/blue highlight might work well with your scheme but grey is safest. A dot of white in the eyes could help too!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-16, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Tried highlighting the black armour, but after seeing how it looks decided I like it more as plain black.

So to solve my decal issue I bought some paints: Pallid Wych Flesh, Rakarth Flesh and Administratum grey. Rakarth Flesh fitted the colour scheme best and the decal shows perfectly.
As you can see from the above post's picture, there is a lot of empty space with the decal and having plain Rakarth Flesh didn't look good and neither does half and half option with Caliban green.

Anyway the flag that comes with Scions has a Scion emblem on one side and the Imperium on the other. My idea will be to sand down the Scion side and paint the 2 - emblem and write the squad on the bottom.
On the other side to paint the Gorvornan flag, well... I had to think of it. As I think all Imperial planets should have the Imperium on the flag I decided to keep it in the middle + makes the painting easier
Then to incorporate fluff wise the use of the snake in the 2-emblem I thought that the Gorvornan flag should have a snake/snakes. I came up with the two snakes curling around the imperium.

So now I have on the left shoulder the Gorvornan flag and on the right squad ident and force ident. I think it looks great, but I still need practice getting the decal smooth. Put the decal with water and then Ardcoat on top. It just might be that it is 2am and I just wanted to finish it before going to sleep...

Also a close up on the decals after printing:

I should do some better quality pictures later... Anyway good night

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode