Baneblade to Fellblade conversion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

koosbeer's Flag is: South Africa

Default Baneblade to Fellblade conversion

Good day everyone

Its really good to be back on Heresy. When I started out on my 40k journey a couple of years ago I jumped right into it with some crazy scratch builds. I enjoy the hobby a lot and that is why I still have all my stuff A bit more dusty and rusty (the tools not me) but still working. So to the project log...

I decided to convert a Baneblade I bought and built just before I took a break from the hobby. I caught up a tad with the rules of 7th ed and the new Chaos codex and felt that converting the Baneblade to a Fellblade rather than playing a normal Baneblade sounded like a lot more fun.

Motivation for the conversion
I thought that making the Baneblade look like the Iron Legion got their hands on it and turned it into a Fellblade rather than make it look like a Fellblade replica (which would be harder) would be a lot more fun than just playing a Chaos Baneblade. This means that most parts on the Baneblade had to be re-purposed into the functional parts of the Fellblade (if that makes any sense)

A few things need to be done on the Baneblade for the transformation to be complete:

Step 1
With 4 sponsons (2 on each side) the Baneblade has a lot of options. The Fellblade on the other hand rocks 1 sponson on each side and no twin linked bolter with single lascannon bollocks. 1 x Quadlascannon. Step 1 is to convert the two sponsons per side to a single quadlascannon sponson with as little effort as possible.

Step 2
Converting the Baneblade main cannon to a Fellblade Twin-linked accelerator cannon. I will be cutting up the 2 setups they provide you with the kit to turn them into the Accelerator cannon.

Step 3
Making the hull look closer to a Fellblade than a Baneblade. Still no idea how to do this.

Step 4
Adding the Chaos bits. Im going to add some blades to the tracks, some Chaos iconography everywhere and desecrate the old Baneblade.

Step 1 - Pictures

The Baneblade after assembly ( already did it a few years ago). Two sponsons per side.

Two of the sponsons converted to the twin-linked quadlascannons for the fellblade. They will stand out from the hull more than the basic sponsons. Also converted the turrets to have twin-linked lascannons instead of the single lascannon. Finally I pinned the top and bottom turrets to one another so they swivle together. Moving the top turret will move the bottom turret with it.

Thats it for now. As I progress I will upload more pictures. Good to be back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 08:15 PM
WARMASTERWILLIE's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok, absolutely love this idea! The sponson convertion is realy original havnt seen anything like it! I keep eyeing up a fellblade for my death guard but can justify the price..... You've give me hope brother!

In regards to the body of it where me I'd just smooth down some of the sufaces, the armour plateing is a bit bussy.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thnx Warmasterwillie. Ive just completed the other sponson as well. Pictures below.

I see the fellblade model is a smooth model with a round main turret. I will maybe try to place some chaos related armor over some of the existing body. I want to make it look like a Baneblade got turned into a Fellblade though. Still thinking about what Im going to do.

Please keep the comments and ideas coming. Thats why I love this community

Step 1 - Pictures (continued)

A front view with both sponsons positioned

Other sponson from the side. I filled in some holes with plasticard and rivet pieces of armor.

This is the inside of the sponson. Used a long sowing needle and cut of the ends. Then drilled the turret pins, stuck them over the needle and glued their tops to the top of the turret.

Next up, the main gun!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 10:39 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Looking nice so far! Using the needle was a good idea.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-15, 01:57 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Absolutely loving this. Welcome back to the hobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosbeer View Post
Used a long sowing needle and cut of the ends.
I often use paper clips of various sizes (bought from the dollar store no doubt) cut up to do similar things. Good improvisation!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-15, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Step 2 - Pictures
This was great to do! It turned out awesome even if I have to say so myself!

Starting off with the parts

The two stock cannons of the baneblade all cut up and glued to some pipes.

Assembled with some details and coverings done.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-15, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Step 2 - Pictures
Cannon glued and pieces together. Looking good

Flatlinerunner likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-15, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Steo 3 - Pictures
The body work part is something that I will have to do with trial and error. I am going to do something with the tracks first. I remove some hull pieces to expose more track. Obviously there is no track to expose so I had to make some track.

This part is really still being developed but I would love some input on this. What do you guys think?

Im going to try and do something like this with the tracks (see below):

Comments welcome
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-15, 09:02 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Looking good, i'll admit that i'm not a massive fan of the sponsons, that's just personal preference though, they look a little weedy for my taste. Too many thin tubes spread too far apart.
The main gun looks great.
The treads on that superheavy below are oppressor treads from blood and skulls industry. I used them on my killkrusher tank.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-15, 12:21 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Okay very innovative idea, but think you could refine this better. The sponsons do not gel with the rest of the build in my opinion, they look a bit delicate and not as brutal as the rest. I think you would have been better served by having the quad las cannon in a tight group, by mounting them all in the heavy bolter sponsons with the 2 top barrels shorter than the bottom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
baneblade , chaos army , chaos fellblade , conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode