Alternate Heresy: The Crimson Teeth - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-15, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Default Alternate Heresy: The Crimson Teeth

An Introduction
Greetings everyone. This thread is a record of my ongoing project to create an alternate legion for an alternate 30k setting. It is heavily meso-american themed and will draw upon a variety of South American myths and cultural tropes as it matures in form and concept, but primarily it will use the Aztecs for its visual aesthetic. I've always felt 30k space marines simply weren't colorful enough, despite the galactic cultural separation; it speaks to an older spirit of the game when you field a hundred dudes in bright primary colors covered in blood. It is my fervent desire to field an army that commands attention throughout the room, and the internetz.
If you like well researched alternate legions, and even alternate Heresies, with flavorful and interesting themes then this project is for you. If you find those things unappealing and prefer the traditional setting, legions, and story this project is not for you. Consider yourselves invited and forewarned. Now, with liability solved lets push into the meat of the content.
This project was born from my interest in a group project on /tg/. The anons wanted to create an alternate 30k setting with more ‘gritty realism’ in it and a story revolving around different legions, primarchs, and worlds, but with the same major plot points as the original. I joined out of a desire to test my writing skills and flesh out pieces of the original setting that interested me. The Crimson Teeth, 7th legion of the 18 Legions Astartes, is the embryo of that idea.
The goal is to field a legion whose aesthetic and mythos are true to its source material while sticking true to the spirit of 30k/40k. I subscribe to the idea that 30k/40k is a setting of ridiculous space opera demanding larger than life events and characters to the point of parity. Yet at the same time the concept must be played straight to maintain the subtlety and effect of the joke; simultaneously including sufficient ‘realism’ to create a sense of plausibility in the setting.

The Legion

The Crimson Teeth’s theme, scheme, and fluff is constantly influenced by my research into Meso-American culture and mythos. The legion’s colors each represent a different rank within the legion and are direct copies of Aztec military uniforms. At this time the accuracy of the representation is extremely circumspect, but they still look great.
Here are some examples of the legion’s color scheme. Credit to Russian chaptergenerator.

I’ve spoilered existing examples of my painted work to ease the strain on viewers. All the stuff you see here is completely painted, but has not been sprayed with a finish and needs to be based.

Chaplain

Legion Command Squad

The Color Scheme

I reviewed a variety of pictures that appear to document ancient Aztec uniforms and weaponry, but couldn't decide which one to choose so I chose to appropriate all of them. I focused on creating a sufficiently Meso-American theme without adding jaguar spots and tiger stripes. (That's due to how intimidating painting proper spots and stripes are. I plan to make jaguar marines at a later date.) But after some looking I came up with the following schemes.

This should provide a clear idea of the army's presence on the table. A multi-colored mass of heavily converted, blood covered bad guys dropping from the sky. I'm really looking forward to working out a scheme for the different dreadnoughts.

Last edited by Lord_Cap'n_Kitten; 12-28-15 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-15, 09:42 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Seems like you're off to a good start. I'd love to see closeups of the command squad, but I like what I see. The Khorne symbol looks out of place, unless there's some element of chaos, or maybe the culture your legion draws from has a war god who happens to be a flavor of Khorne.

I definitely appreciate your homebrewed fluff, just sorta causes dissonance/confusion to see that sort of thing.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
Seems like you're off to a good start. I'd love to see closeups of the command squad, but I like what I see. The Khorne symbol looks out of place, unless there's some element of chaos, or maybe the culture your legion draws from has a war god who happens to be a flavor of Khorne.

I definitely appreciate your homebrewed fluff, just sorta causes dissonance/confusion to see that sort of thing.
Ah, good point. I neglected to point out that the miniatures I am painting and fielding are essentially what the legion would look like during - and post - the Siege of Terra.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 05:12 AM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Neato!

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

I have added more content to the original post for clarification and expansion on the idea.

Now question: has anyone tried using feathers on the heads of their space marines? My references are pulling up huge feathered headdresses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode