Sorceror arrived, so I got right to work making him battle ready. The base model is quite nice, so it required little modification.
Firstly, the model had the old Nurgle mark on his forehead. While I have no problem with retro citadel, the old Nurgle icon is undeniably... phallic... (Which is probably the reason they standardised the triad). I filed down his head and sculpted it flat, before adding a trio of boils mimicking the newer Nurgle symbol.
My next modification was on the staff. I originally was going to change it entirely, but decided I was quite fond of the bell image. I decided to make it more defined however. On the model there is a maggot and some clutter which joins it to the bottom of the gap in the staff. I decided to chop this all out and replace it with a slightly smaller bell from the Blightking kit. Finally, the haft of his knife was slightly large, I believe it was supposed to be the end of a bone, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I chopped the haft off a Blightking weapon of gnarled wood.
Beyond that I added liquid greenstuff to fill gaps and add some texture. Regarding the base, I kept it simple but instead of a normal skeleton, I used one from a Chaos Marine banner which has some goop or slime on it, which I will paint in the same way as the goo on the Sorceror's sword. Perhaps he is a recent victim of a noxious spell?
When I was scouring my bits box for various nurgley bits, I found this cute little vulture mini. I believe he is from the TK Screaming Skull Catapult, but he makes a perfect familiar for my Sorceror so I put him on his own base.
As well as my Sorceror, I have been working on some painting test pieces. Nothing to see really, but I have a clear idea of what I am going to go for. If you have seen my Plague Marine in the painting and modelling forum, I will use the same rusty chipped armour technique, along with a bloody, scabrous skin tone. I do want to fully model my first section before I paint however, since I plan to paint them all in one go to make the weathering as consistent as possible (check my salt/hairspray weathering tutorial out in the tutorial section if you are wondering what I mean).
However by next time I will most likely have started my first 5 Blightkings, so stay tuned!
In the near future I plan on purchasing a cohort of Skavenslaves armed with slings to add model count to my burgeoning warband. I am also considering the addition of a Jabberslythe.
Until next time!