Band of the Blooded Moon - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-15, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Band of the Blooded Moon

Hello all, so a while back when the last Chaos Marines book came out I decided that I wanted to take a break from my Tau. This, of course, led me to looking to do a Khorne army, but I lacked conviction and shelved it after some time. Now though with the Deamonkin codex I find that I have that drive and desire to power forward.

That said I am keeping with a theme to this army. I've always adored the Space Wolves for their looks, but they didn't really offer quite the game play style I wanted, so I decided to go with a Traitor/Turned faction of SW.

I would very much like any suggestions or comments you'd like to offer.

First up is one of my two lords for the army.

I'm not too much of a fan of the head as it is now, so I probably will wither swap it or do something with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-15, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Next up is my second lord for the army accompanied by his personal guard

these guys are all pretty standard just using kit bashed parts from the Chaos lord and Space Wolf terminator boxes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-15, 09:10 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

This looks like a good start.

I like the mounted counts-as jugger-lord. Except for the Khornate bunny ears sticking up from his back. I'm not crazy about the Khornate headdresses to begin with, but here it's really not working for you.

The terminator and retinue are a bit hard to tell the paint scheme seems pretty murky, pretty dark and not enough contrasts.

Have you thought though the color palette for the army? Does it match a daemonkin style, a wolf style, and/or a Khornate style? What are the major colors and the highlight and accent colors?

And what unit is next?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-15, 12:41 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Great concept, watching with interest to see where you go with it!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-15, 08:32 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Awesome work. I love it!

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-15, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I like the mounted counts-as jugger-lord. Except for the Khornate bunny ears sticking up from his back. I'm not crazy about the Khornate headdresses to begin with, but here it's really not working for you.
You're absolutely right, I'm really not liking it either. once i find a new head I'll take that off too.

Quote:
The terminator and retinue are a bit hard to tell the paint scheme seems pretty murky, pretty dark and not enough contrasts.
Yeah i need to figure out a better way of taking my pics, but here are some better ones of the Lord and squad.

Quote:
Have you thought though the color palette for the army? Does it match a daemonkin style, a wolf style, and/or a Khornate style? What are the major colors and the highlight and accent colors?
I do want to keep to the original 13th company for colors as that's where i want to draw from when it comes to fluff for this army. So dark grey armor with dark red shoulders seems to be the way I'll be going. I chose purple for the power weapons because i didn't like the thought of red weapons with the already red pads and I wanted something different from the normal blue. Other accents are mainly going to be in the furs and trinkets. I'm thinking using a good amount of yellow to contrast the dark colors on the armor.

Quote:
And what unit is next?
How about troops?

I used mainly kit bashed chaos marines with the Grey Hunters box.

I have 3 more squads of these guys then after this I have a forgefiend and heldrake
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-15, 01:03 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey @Zinkate that photos help, as does your colour scheme explanation.

I like the purple power arcing. It looks good on the axe. I can't really tell on the lightning claws but I'm sure it's fine.

I think there's still something missing and I keep coming back to contrast. The reds and blues are pretty dull.

I also like the wolf pelt, that turned out well. My sense is that the grey should be a shade lighter, with brighter edge highlights and more shadows. In the photos I can't really see a difference between the color of the armour and the color of the ribbing in the joints [edit: on my mobile phone]. I looked again from my desktop and I can see there is a difference. It looks to me like you need to thin your paints out a bit and use the edge of a thin brush for your edge highlights. That will help them be much smoother.

And the troops are looking good. Though I'd go back and clean off the mold lines.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 05-19-15 at 02:54 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-15, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't think i really want to lighten the armor color because it may start to clash with the sliver trim. One thing I've been thinking of doing is changing the basing color to add contrast and brighten the whole thing up. I think that if i go with a iron oxide basing scheme like a*cough* blooded moon *cough* would look good.

I also think i may have come up with a solution for my juggerwolf lord. I'll remove the bunny ear stuff and in turn change it up for a wrathmonger head

I'd also end up using the rest of the kit to make my possessed with some kit bashing to add variety.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-15, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

So, I went ahead with my idea and I like how it turned out. I realize I have to fix his noes, but such is life.

The other thing I've been working on has been the Demon prince. When i originally built him people said he looked too much like a rat, so I had to change that. That's why he's primed and greenstuff right now. However, I still like it a lot and want to get a second opinion before moving on to painting.

For dessert I have a Heldrake.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-15, 02:48 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

I like the grey paint scheme. In person it looks really good with the silver trim, as you say.

I also like the wolf prince a lot. He looks plenty wolfy to me, and surrounded by his underlings it's even more that he isn't a rat. Plus, he has fur on his tail instead of a disgusting hairless rat tail.

Drake looking good too, I think the scheme is working for the army. Grey/Silver/Red/Black definitely looks good for a wolf/chaos crossover.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode