NTaW's Armies of the Imperium (with a side of Necrons) - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loran View Post
Isn't the point with the scroll-work just that? Space Marines usually have their own name, or the name of their home planet on the scroll, at least in pictures and artwork So yeah, 'Dante' or 'Baal' would work, as would 'Sanguinius' (although space is a bit limited on the scroll).

Model looks good though! I agree on the axe needing a bit of extra work, but the rest of the model is very clean and crisp. Great work!
I'll likely end up putting Dante on it for complete lack of anything better. Sanguinius is a pain in the ass to fit anywhere aside from on vehicles, I've definitely tried that one on other models before

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
He's looking good.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
The Insane Detail brush is crazy small. The need to use it doesn't arise often, but it's definitely worth it for this kind of thing. The pic below is the AP brush on the right with a GW detail brush. Believe it or not but they do an even smaller one as well.
I'll probably grab the even smaller one sometime this week, thanks for the recommendation. Now that I think of it, I did put pure white into those bolts I just blue washed the whole thing afterward. Looking at the model with my eyes I can still see a lot of the (now subdued) white but I think I should have done less of a wash for the sake of pictures/it actually standing out that I worked on it.

To the hobby store!

I guess I also need to nab up some Rakarth and Pallid Wych Flesh to make white a bit less of a chore. Currently blending as all I have is an old pots of Codex Grey and Skull White, which I would rather save for the unit of Grey Knight Terminators I have that no one ever seems to want in a trade. Having the bit of a warmer white would be nicer I think.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-25-17, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Took a break from working on my table to get some Necrons done. Almost at 1500 (OK 1489) painted and loving how the army plays in 8th edition. Here's my Cryptek, Overlord, finished unit of Wraiths, and a WIP shot of my Heavy Destroyers:

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #83 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-27-17, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Finished the Heavy Destroyers (enough to game with anyway):

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #84 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-27-17, 01:39 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Loving the scheme, particularly on the wraiths and overlords. The one thing I'd recommend is maybe a subtle highlight on the black. I've recently discovered Dark Reaper grey, and it makes for a great tone against the black, especially with the blue you have in the scheme.
ntaw likes this.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 06-27-17 at 02:34 PM.
post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-27-17, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Loving the scheme, particularly on the wraiths and overlords. The one thing I'd recommend is maybe a subtle highlight on the black. I've recently discovered Dark Reaper grey, and it makes for great tone against the black, especially with the blue you have in the chime.

Thanks, I've noticed some models take more 'blue-ening' than others and the ends result is a bit more eye catching. I feel like my sword and board Lychguard will look pretty cool with their shields and bright blue swords when I get to them.

I've been thinking a lot about highlighting the black, my spouse is a painter and we were talking about it just last night. I left it out initially because I was tearing through the army trying to get it ready for an 'important' game (much like my current painting kick) and the shine left on the black after a coat of nuln oil catches the light quite nicely while they're on the tabletop. Now that I'm getting to models like the Overlord though, who loses a lot of detail when painted this way, I'm feeling like I need to reconsider. My main problem with edge highlighting black with grey is that it doesn't ring true to my eye so I have a really hard time controlling where I put it. Had I based the model with a blue/black colour and washed it black to create a gradient I'd be pretty happy with it but alas, here I am with a model painted solid black. Dark Reaper grey is a solid suggestion, I may very well end up just doing that and being done with it; keep it simple here and save the scrutinous detail for my BA elite selections and their endless bling. I'll figure something out eventually.

Up next: my death ray so I can run a Doom Scythe on Thursday. Bonus marks if I finish a Wraith with whip coils to fill in the last couple points in my 1500 point list (whip coils on one Wraith in the squad would take me up to 1498, otherwise I'm at 1489).
Khorne's Fist likes this.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-27-17, 03:35 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I was the same when highlighting my DW with a lighter grey like dawnstone, but the Dark Reaper, or even Eshin Grey, have really improved how I feel about it. The contrast is nowhere near as jarring. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-05-17, 11:12 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

One of the most eye-catching schemes I've seen. and while i can see where the highlight would really make them pop i wonder if its really necessary. On minis like the Lord you can try picking out just certain areas so the detail isn't lost but beyond that i think you'd be fine leaving them as is. alternatively using a dark blue for highlights might help give it a bit of depth.
ntaw likes this.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-17-17, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
One of the most eye-catching schemes I've seen. and while i can see where the highlight would really make them pop i wonder if its really necessary. On minis like the Lord you can try picking out just certain areas so the detail isn't lost but beyond that i think you'd be fine leaving them as is. alternatively using a dark blue for highlights might help give it a bit of depth.
Thanks! The black and silver are so simple the blue really jumps out, and the brightness it pretty sweet on the battlefield now that they've seen a few table tops.

How does everyone feel about a gloss coat on the black for a more reflective and thus always naturally highlighted finish?

Almost done another model. All I have to do now is the particle shredder and this mechanical beast will be ready to murderate my enemies.

Khorne's Fist likes this.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-17, 12:02 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Fantastic work mate! I think your colour scheme is striking and very nice indeed! In particular, I really like the bluing effect you've done on the overlord - that was a fantastic piece of work!
ntaw likes this.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-17, 02:24 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
How does everyone feel about a gloss coat on the black for a more reflective and thus always naturally highlighted finish?
I personally would prefer the matte finish since it really make them pop.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode