NTaW's Armies of the Imperium (with a side of Necrons) - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-21-17, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

One Destroyer became two pretty quickly, though neither are technically "finished" just yet with little holes and knife marks yet to hide.

Got all excited, looked to start assembling my Destroyer Lord (really stoked to play this unit in-game) and found that I didn't have the requisite right arm to hold out his warscythe. Nuts. Concocted this out of two different Warrior arms.

Plenty of glue on my fingertips by the time that was through. Here's a little WIP of the Lord.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-22-17, 10:30 AM

Loran's Flag is: Finland

Love the Heavy Destroyers! They look very menacing and suitably different from the regular Destroyers. Good work!

The Destroyer Lord is looking good as well. Can't wait to see that fella fully converted Keep it up!
ntaw likes this.

[Hyarion] Warning! Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games.
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-22-17, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loran View Post
Love the Heavy Destroyers! They look very menacing and suitably different from the regular Destroyers. Good work!

The Destroyer Lord is looking good as well. Can't wait to see that fella fully converted Keep it up!
Hey, thanks a lot pal. My army was severely lacking in dedicated armour destruction (can't glance everything, and 12" for max effectiveness is hard to come by with Warriors) and I think those two will add quite the punch to my games. Really glad the scale between the Triarch Stalker weapons and the Destroyers isn't too cartoonish, though I did take care to beef up the arm holding it a bit.

The Destroyer Lord is coming along, damn shame I have to work a split shift between both my jobs today otherwise the apartment would have been mine again with the family out visiting friends. It's pretty rare for me to have uninterrupted hobby time when my kid's ripping around the place

I decided that the Destroyer left arm that I planned on using just didn't cut it so I concocted another arm out of Warrior bits. It's surprisingly easy to cut Necron elbows and re-position them. Even just thick enough in the crucial bits to support me drilling and pinning! I've put out a plea to my gaming group about a head though...nothing I've been trying is even coming close to acceptable.

The real big thing about this model though is that I want to make him a cloak. I have a much longer piece from the Lychguard kit that has the same pattern as his loin cloth lookin' thing that I am going to make a couple push molds of to try and pull it off. My plan right now is to have several strips of the pattern that I can work with (cutting to fit, flexing this way and that) as I make the general shape of it flat, then I can transfer it to the model and make final adjustments. Who knows how the hell it'll turn out but I'm sure it'll be fun to try!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-23-17, 09:08 AM

Cloaks are groovy and give the model some distinctiveness from the rest of the Destroyers in the army. So definitely try it out I've never used push molds myself, but I've seen some good results from their use. I'll need to see if I can find some for myself

post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-28-17, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Got in a game last weekend using my Blood Angels vs. some Genestealer Cult. Holy Emperor what a match. I must have killed his army almost twice over thanks to their sneaky ways, though I ended up losing 16-14 on tactical objectives. The only two models left on the table was Dante with one wound and a Battle Tank untouched. Dante, having showed up T2 in the Golden Host, killed a unit per turn until T7 which is a personal best for him. It was ridiculous. In honour of that (and other battles, the dude's a friggin' beast) he got jumped to the front of the painting queue. The model's over 20 years old, been beaten by living loose in a box most that time (despite being painted by young me), and stripped; all of which have softened some of the details and made painting him a bit of a chore but there was so much to do I kept entertained. Anyway....model:

....now to figure out how I want to base him and what the hell to do with the scroll on his shoulder. Just noticed I have to do little squiggles on his leg purity seals as well. My questions to whoever is reading this:

Should I base my BA the same as I have my Necrons, simple muddy earth underfoot? They will be used against and with each other as time goes by.

What the hell should I write on his shoulder?!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-28-17, 08:48 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Fine job on an old classic. I like the directional highlights on his abdominal armour. The one thing letting it down is the axe. The lightning looks a little thick and straight. I'd try watering the paints down and get hold of an Army Painter insane detail brush. Perfect for that kind of thing.
ntaw likes this.
post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

The paints are plenty thin (watered down basically 1:1 on a wet palette) but my brush for detail work is a fucking travesty. Even though you can't see the painstaking lines of white I brushed through those bolts in the picture it doesn't matter: I wholeheartedly agree the axe needs a redoing. Army Painter brushes are worth it, eh? I've checked them out before (local store has god damned everything and then some typically) just never pulled the trigger. Bought what I thought was a real nice brush a little while back but it's borked already, even though I am really attentive to cleaning my brush often while in use and cleaning it thoroughly after I'm done.

Thanks for the kind words and rep though dude! He was my first time painting gold since I was like 9, after all. Any thoughts on what I should try scrawling on his shoulder pad? I feel like "Dante" or "Baal" is a bit too obvious...kinda stumped.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 06:56 AM

Isn't the point with the scroll-work just that? Space Marines usually have their own name, or the name of their home planet on the scroll, at least in pictures and artwork So yeah, 'Dante' or 'Baal' would work, as would 'Sanguinius' (although space is a bit limited on the scroll).

Model looks good though! I agree on the axe needing a bit of extra work, but the rest of the model is very clean and crisp. Great work!

post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 07:04 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-29-17, 08:07 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Army Painter brushes are worth it, eh? I've checked them out before (local store has god damned everything and then some typically) just never pulled the trigger. Bought what I thought was a real nice brush a little while back but it's borked already, even though I am really attentive to cleaning my brush often while in use and cleaning it thoroughly after I'm done.
The Insane Detail brush is crazy small. The need to use it doesn't arise often, but it's definitely worth it for this kind of thing. The pic below is the AP brush on the right with a GW detail brush. Believe it or not but they do an even smaller one as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1564.jpg (484.1 KB, 6 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode