My Imperial Fist Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Kal1290's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default My Imperial Fist Army

Hey All im going to be attempting to build the 1st & 3rd Comapny of the imperial Fists.

Going to take me a while as im not the fastest painter in the world but that doesnt bother me would rather take my time and know i gave 110& per model.
will try and update Thread Weekly pls feel free to Criticize and offer tips always open to new idea's
here is my progress thus Far
painted
dreadnaught X1
Terminators x1
Command Squad x5

to build
Captain lysander
librarian in terminator armour
17 terminators
10 assault marines
10 tactical marines
5 dev marines
1 razor back
1 chaplain
1 Dreadnaught
this lot should keep me busy for a weeks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1282.jpg (321.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Terminator #1.jpg (266.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Dreadnaught #1.jpg (282.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg To do.jpg (453.4 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 11:31 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

its a good start...you paint looks a little thick..just remember yellow is a tough color to paint..so multiple thin coats is the trick
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
its a good start...you paint looks a little thick..just remember yellow is a tough color to paint..so multiple thin coats is the trick
i didnt water down my last coat of yellow will try that nxt time see if it makes a difrence cheers for the feedback

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 11:47 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Good to see another IF player on here. Ive been working on my force for w while now and it just never seems to get finished. Im a slow painter as well but Ive found that keeping things basic helps and only getting crazy with characters and vehicles. Im also in the process of building up the 3rd company and ive come a decent way so far you can check out my plog to get ideas or inspiration here

The first thing i can notice from your army list is that you need more tactical marines. Personally i think tactical marines are the most underrated unit in the space marine army. They are good (not great) at literally everything. they can't stand up to specialized units but if deployed right they can reap a heavy toll. I would go ahead and have at minimum 3 tactical squads but to each their own.

As mantis already pointed out the paint on your minis looks very thick. this is going to block Much of the detail that you would want to stick out. I know yellow is one of the hardest colors to paint but ive managed to get pretty good with mine. This is how i typically do my yellows if i want them bright. Since you are painting yellow i would definitely think basecoat all of your guys in white as you wont need as many layers of yellow to cover. If you have any questions or want some advise please ask.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info swede yeah i will be getting more tac Squads but under strict instructions from the wife not buying anymore untill i have painted what ive got lol.

just looked at your tutorial looks like a much easier way to do things than i was doing.

i was giving the whole model a coat of averland sunset washing with sepia wash then going over again with averland sunset then using yurial yellow and doing a final coat of lighter yellow. could be why my models look a little heavy on the paint will test your way out on a marine and see how it works for me cheer

Last edited by Kal1290; 03-31-15 at 12:43 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal1290 View Post
thanks for the info swede yeah i will be getting more tac Squads but under strict instructions from the wife not buying anymore untill i have painted what ive got lol.

just looked at your tutorial looks like a much easier way to do things than i was doing.

i was giving the whole model a coat of averland sunset washing with sepia wash then going over again with averland sunset then using yurial yellow and doing a final coat of lighter yellow. could be why my models look a little heavy on the paint will test your way out on a marine and see how it works for me cheer
It is. I have changed the way i do yellows a bit not though. I start with fuegan orange instead of the yellow. then drybrush the entire model with averland sunset(very thin) and two (very thin coats of Flash gitz. armor highlighting done with dorn yellow and then everything is given a glaze of lamenters yellow. Either way will give you good results.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 03:43 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

@Kal1290 , I too base with white, paint yellow, wash brown, then work my way back up with yellows. It's a pain in the ass but gives me more of the effect I want- not to slight Swede's process in any way, it's a whole world simpler and takes hours less time (estimated time, but my yellows feel like they take years). This is a before/after shot of my BA Librarian, which I'll keep in spoiler tags so as not to sidetrack your plog:

I know this isn't quite the same chapter, but I paint my yellows on my Imperial Fists the same way with the exception of starting with Yriel Yellow instead of Averland Sunset for that bright armour. In either instance, once you have your Agrax wash where you want it I reapply whichever colour I started with and then do a second highlight of Flash Gitz Yellow that's just a bit wider than my edges. Lastly for the highlighting, I get real thin with some white on the very edges before hitting it with a Lamenters Yellow Glaze. Pretty much the same colours Swede uses but with a bit of a wider highlighting idea, just to send some thoughts around your head. There's likely a dozen coats of yellow across all the shades on that cloak to boot, it's just about keeping your coats thin like what Fatmantis mentioned right off.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Love the effect youve got on the yellow there heres a pic of one i painted today with the swedes technique nxt to a previously plainted model think i need to get a wider range of yellows atm all i have is

averland sunset
yrial yellow
Coat d,arms sun yellow
and half pot of casandora yellow ( rest went over my desk today )
ive found priming with white undercoat is def alot easier

model on left is from today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x sergeants.jpg (305.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Kal1290; 03-31-15 at 04:06 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 04:36 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Massive difference, good job! Priming white (or yellow) is absolutely crucial for a quality final effect.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Massive difference, good job! Priming white (or yellow) is absolutely crucial for a quality final effect.

This is very true. If you want deeper or more drastic outlines you can use Fuegan orange or even Sepia washes to start instead of Cassandra yellow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode