A Loli: Some Assembly Required - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-24-15, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well this morning I've finally settled on a Raider scheme for my Dark Eldar armour, I'm keeping the flesh theme for the 4 Venoms I'll be using with the 2 Scalpel Squadrons. But I tried to transfer it to Raiders and my Cronos and it just doesn't work. I think it's in part because the Venoms armour panels are split across the entire model where the Raider it isn't.

I need to give it an Arax Earthshade wash to help dull the Orange abit, it's not as bright as the photo makes it look but the Earthshade was should improve it.

But the theme for all my vehicles will be rust, chipping, Battle damaged etc. I've also being looking at guides, tutorials etc for rust, chipping etc, the idea being that none will look the same, this also means I can use different ways of doing rust yet keep the vehicles looking somewhat similar. I may go back and repaint my Venoms in this theme though since I'm not entirely happy with my 'flesh scheme'.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-24-15, 11:51 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

loving it!!!!
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-25-15, 06:33 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Excellent paint scheme! I like it.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-25-15, 02:59 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I need to give it an Arax Earthshade wash to help dull the Orange abit, it's not as bright as the photo makes it look but the Earthshade was should improve it.

But the theme for all my vehicles will be rust, chipping, Battle damaged etc. I've also being looking at guides, tutorials etc for rust, chipping etc, the idea being that none will look the same, this also means I can use different ways of doing rust yet keep the vehicles looking somewhat similar. I may go back and repaint my Venoms in this theme though since I'm not entirely happy with my 'flesh scheme'.

Thoughts?
I like the idea but I'm not crazy about the execution for a few reasons. There don't seem to be any other colors used (at least from this angle) to create contrast or visual interest. I'm also curious if iron oxide rust is appropriate for a Dark Eldar craft. It surely wouldn't be for Craftworld Eldar . . . unless they left their avatar out in the yard for a while. Might there be a more reasonable or more interesting method of wearing down a Dark Eldar craft? Perhaps there would be some sort of Commorragh hull parasite or other corrosive exposure, or who knows what these craft are made of, is it steel?

Why are all the outermost edges equally weathered? Why are only some of the inner edges of the plates weathered?

I'm asking all of this because these aren't realistic patterns of weathering. Rust forms on exposed edges where the protection/paint has been removed but where there is insufficiently frequent friction to wear the oxidation away. I did a bunch of image searches and didn't find any satisfying examples. Apparently people don't post photos of rust and wear on vehicles and machines in use, which suggests a level of disregard or neglect.

So are these neglected Dark Eldar craft?

Will you be adding oxidation to the prow or the tail?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Jeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
I like the idea but I'm not crazy about the execution for a few reasons. There don't seem to be any other colors used (at least from this angle) to create contrast or visual interest. I'm also curious if iron oxide rust is appropriate for a Dark Eldar craft. It surely wouldn't be for Craftworld Eldar . . . unless they left their avatar out in the yard for a while. Might there be a more reasonable or more interesting method of wearing down a Dark Eldar craft? Perhaps there would be some sort of Commorragh hull parasite or other corrosive exposure, or who knows what these craft are made of, is it steel?

Why are all the outermost edges equally weathered? Why are only some of the inner edges of the plates weathered?

I'm asking all of this because these aren't realistic patterns of weathering. Rust forms on exposed edges where the protection/paint has been removed but where there is insufficiently frequent friction to wear the oxidation away. I did a bunch of image searches and didn't find any satisfying examples. Apparently people don't post photos of rust and wear on vehicles and machines in use, which suggests a level of disregard or neglect.

So are these neglected Dark Eldar craft?

Will you be adding oxidation to the prow or the tail?
Okay, I'll try to reply to each of your points as best I can.

Well, this is what I did. Leadbelcher, followed up with a wash of Nuln Oil. Then use Typhus Corrosion around the edges. Then a dry brush of Mornfang Brown over where I had used Typhus, followed up with a drybrush of Ryza Rust. Ending with a wash of Agrax Earthshade.

The reason it's only the edges is because it's the first time trying it, I've got a second Raider ready to go where I'm planning to do it more on the plates instead of sticking to the edge of the model.

Yes my vehicles are meant to be neglected, my Kabal is poor and lacks influence or power. As a result they take what they can regardless of its state so long as it's workable. And yes I doubt Dark Eldar tech rusts, at least not in the same way our stuff rusts, but like I prefaced this thread, I'm not that great a painter, I try my best and always try to learn new things but I was being ambitious even with this. A parasite would be more fitting, but I don't have the green stuff skills to even attempt that, let alone pull it off. Whenever I've tried to green stuff I end up ruining my models so now I just flat out avoid it unless it's the most simple of things.

I'm unsure what to do with the prow and tail. I've thought about about doing it same as the actual Raider, but then I'm worried the Raider will seem somewhat bland because it would all be the same, but on the other side I don't know what else to do with it. The tail I might just leave and paint it same as my sail though. But the prow I am at a loss.

Thanks for the detailed critique
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Jeepers

Well this is a group shot of my rebuilt Sisters force up to now, with the exception of my last purchase which included some Immolators and Seraphim.

Well have a 10 Girl Sister squad, naked along side Jacobus, and 5 Girl Melta Dominion squad, my Exorcist, 1 Penitent Engine, 9 Repentia with a Mistress, a 6 girl Sisters squad with 2 Flamers in there and last but not least Celestine. All in various stages of painting, some finished, some not even started. Yay.

And here is the start of my first Immolator.

Quote:
"Bubbles"....?

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm unsure what to do with the prow and tail. I've thought about about doing it same as the actual Raider, but then I'm worried the Raider will seem somewhat bland because it would all be the same, but on the other side I don't know what else to do with it. The tail I might just leave and paint it same as my sail though. But the prow I am at a loss.
What about putting a design on it like a spear or a mouth or a poisoned blade, then weathering and chipping it up?

Great to see some sisters! I dug mine out over christmas too, but I'm far to embarrassed by my early days paint job to put photos up until I've revitalised that army.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-18-15, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Jeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post

Great to see some sisters! I dug mine out over christmas too, but I'm far to embarrassed by my early days paint job to put photos up until I've revitalised that army.
Oh I love my Sisters, had an army since I started the hobby in 4th using Witch Hunters but had to sell them awhile back because of the usual reasons, lack of job, needed money etc. But I regretted it, I lost all my armies in one way or another, some I couldn't care about but a few I regretted and missed. My Sisters we in that list, I love the models, love the fluff, plus it's feminism in 40k, sort of So when I started rebuilding all my armies a few months ago, Sisters were the first of my many purchases.

Don't be embarrassed to put up photos, my painting is horrible and probably deserves a place in Pro Painted Seriously? mock thread if I were to ever get rid of my armies again. But I love my army, Sisters especially, so I don't care how bad a painter I am.

Haven't posted in a week or so just been busy, combination of work and finally playing Dragon Age Inquisition I've had it since my birthday in December but only dabbled in it. Haven't sat down and played since I brought it, but after I finished work on Saturday I've just been sitting in bed playing it, wracked up 42 hours playtime since Saturday.

But yesterday this arrived for my Sisters.

This is quickly becoming a Sisters Plog instead of a variety like I planned. Which is a shame, I've got some of my Dark Eldar stuff ready to paint, even a large squad of Grotesques needing some colour, got my Iron Hands 30k FW Iron Father sitting in its packaging - I'll try to get a photo of my backlog up - but I have just been happily swimming in Sisters to do others right now. Which I'm happy since its getting my Sisters to a good point before I launch into other things.

Speaking of my Sisters, the store manager of my local GW is leaving and whenever I've been having days off work he had been having practice games with me to help relearn the game since I haven't played since late 5th Ed/ early 6th. Just 1k games since they're easy enough to organise, my Dark Eldar are 3 for 3 in all of my practice games. Anyway my Sisters are now at just over 1k points - could probably reach 1250 actually - and he never played against Sisters - seen them played though - so this Friday we're having a 1k game against either 'Crons with a Sanctuary 101 theme or his 'Nids with Leviathan theme. Can't wait. Personally I'm hoping he brings 'Nids because I've never played' Crons since they had their book in 5th. Nids I'll feel better about since I've had an army of previously and have played against them as opposed to 'Crons. I'll post up my list here when I finish work and I'll also try to get photos of the game so I can post some kind of Battle Report.

Quote:
"Bubbles"....?

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-18-15, 05:49 AM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

loving the dark eldar craft... also Jacobus looks great too!

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-18-15, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Crons with a Sanctuary 101 theme or his 'Nids with Leviathan theme.
Either of these would be a truly awesome matchup!

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode