Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

M's Inq28 - Inquisitorial forces

10K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  The Gunslinger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.
I have been working on some servitors for an inquisitorial 40k force and for Inq28. Mainly as an experiment in using a tentacle/tube maker and weathering with oils. I've tried to emulate some of the techniques seen in John Blanche's models, as I find he paints in a more realistic way. I wanted to make a really grimy model, something that looks as though its been in the battlefield or a factory working in dirty conditions for years.

I didn't want to bombard you all with photos but if you want to see more: http://inq40k.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope you enjoy. Comments and criticism welcome.
~M

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum mate, talk about entering with a splash! I think you've done quite well with the "realist" painting approach. Look forward to seeing what you share with us next!

#5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I really appreciate it!
@Knorne's Fist - I've never played inquisitor before but I really want to get into it. I'm planning an imperial guard force with inquisition allies, so I'll be able to do both :)

I've got a few work in progress photo's of the servitor.

And one when it was a bit cleaner!

~M

#6 ·
I have finished making my second servitor. Unlike the first this is designed to have an active role on the battlefield. I imagine it flying around repairing vehicles with it's two long arms. One arm tipped with a strong clamp to hold the material and the second with a welding tool to fix the damaged metal. On its back there are fuel canisters for the machine to function, connect by large tubing. The size of which dwarf the small legs of the servitor which are bound behind it to protect them from dangling limply and getting in the way.

I have also finished a minitutorial on the first servitor: http://inq40k.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-making-of-servitor-1-mini-tutorial.html

~M

#7 ·
More Blanchitsu is always welcome!

There's no need to fear bombarding us with too many photos, I think, but if your real goal is to get us salivating and to drive traffic to your blog--well, you've got one clickthrough from me, certainly.

#9 ·
@Mossy Toes - haha, let the bombarding begin! @93rdSaphraDarkGuard - thank you

Sorry for the delay guys, I was caught up in the start of term frenzy at university. Everything is sorted now and I have finally found some time to set aside to relax and model.
I bought a set of dark eldar wyches, an empire merchant scribe (I think from Mordheim) from ebay.
I have great plans!
I am going to convert him into an advisor for my inquisitor: the "keeper of secrets". His book and scrolls filled with the most revealing knowledge. His face will be hid behind a mask, emotionless, giving nothing away. He will also field as an Officer of the fleet in my imperial guard army.
Sorry for the potato pics I only have my phone camera at uni.

I plan on using the head from the wych on the right of the box.

This is the model I will be using as the base

The Keeper of Secrets

This is my idea. I plan to remove the merchants head and will use it later as is full of character. I am going to replace it with the head of the wych. Add a scarf around the neck in green stuff. Add tubing from either side of the head, and then make a respirator on the model's back out of the venting from a space marine backpack. I am unsure if I should add a holstered gun or auspex at his waist.
I plan to paint his visor gloss black, the neck scarf dark red and his tunic an emerald blue with light dust weathering around the base.

~M

#10 ·
I didn't want to bombard you all with photos
~M
I should smack you with something for even thinking that in the first place.

Next welcome to the forums these are some awesome models so please post way more photos here as well as your blog.

Next how did you make the green stuff ribbed tubes? You may want to make a tutorial on making green stuff tubes and put it in the tutorial section.

#13 ·
Thank you for the feedback guys, I'm going to start making the keeper tomorrow.
@Flatlinerunner - thank you very much @morfangdakka - haha, don't worry I will. I used a Tube/Tentacle Maker, they make it super easy to make tubes. I'll have a think about making a tutorial. I found one on the internet a while ago though, I'll try and find it.

In the meantime I am about to start reading the Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies. Before I start I wanted to imagine the protagonists from what little information I have read. I'm then going to revisit them once I finish reading the novels and see how they compare, and use the sketches to model them. I have done some musings about Inquisitor ravenor as I haven't seen many images of him let alone pictures of conversions. If there are any good conversions would someone mind posting a link please?

Comments are always be appreciated

I also picked up this as well!

I wrote some more about it here: http://inq40k.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/space-hulk-games-workshop-newcastle.html

~M

#14 ·
Maybe go for a pistol of some sort on this model, it seems rather appropriate for him to somewhat be able to defend the secrets he holds. And personally the auspux might be a little useless if he had some sort of HUD in his visor with a shoulder mounted servo skull maybe?

#15 ·
My uni term has at last finished! It was a lot harder than I expected and so there wasn't really any time for modelling. I did manage to read Eisenhorn's trilogy and I am currently 2/3 of the way through Ravenor's, my imagining of him was well off! :p So I think I will use that concept for another inquisitor.
Now term has finished I've began work on the newest member on my warband. A kroot guide.

He has suffered many injuries on from his work with the inquisitor, most notable are from an explosion suffered when chasing a heretic who was poisoning an amasec factory.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
The inquisitorial team advanced with the kroot on point. Only too late did they realise they had entered a trap. Explosives at the base of the boiling vats detonated and boiling liquid sprayed onto the kroot. The damage was extensive, but thankfully due to medicae technology and the fact he was considered too valuable an asset to lose: extensive skin grafts and transplants were able to repair most of his body. His left eye, forearm and hand however could not be saved. These have been replaced with implants and augments.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​

The Kroot Guide

I'm really enjoying making this one, I carved his left hand to look like a robotic hand and then used a necron forearm which was also carved to make it less cylindrical to replace the forearm. I added some scar tissue to the neck and drilled out the left eye, which I replaced with plastic tubing.
The silencer on the end of his rifle has not yet been glued as I ran out of super glue, it is resting only on a pin, which is the reason is at an odd angle in a couple of the photos.
He's not finished yet, I think I will add a few more impants along his back and lower legs as well as some further scar tissue on his left shoulder. Cloth either in between his legs or over his left shoulder and also some other trinkets.

~M

#16 ·
The Kroot tracker is pretty much finished now, I've made a few further additions: a small camo cloak that is billowing over his shoulder to create a dynamic pose; ammunition, a pistol and a knife. The knife is made of two different knives from the kroot kit, one with a bone handle and another with a longer blade that I had to cut a pelt away from. I also added some further augments to his knee joints. The only further modifications I plan on making now are an attachment for the camo cloak and a base.

~M

#18 ·
@The gunsliger - thanks, you definitely should, I haven't played a game yet. But I'm really enjoying making the models :)
Update to the keeper of secret at last!
I've done some work on the head. This is the part that will be most heavily converted, so after this is done there won't be much work left to do on the model.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The helmet is a marvel of design. It was created to hold and compute tremendous amounts of data; a miniature super cogitator. The helmet enables the Keeper to boost his already terrifying knowledge, making him a masterful tactician and saboteur.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Decided to put it together as a gif

A couple of photos

~M

#20 ·
Am loving watching your warband develop, well done with the conversions - your sculpting with GS is superb. My only issue is with the Kroot legs, they don't look 'solid' enough to take a long range shot with the rifle. Just a personal thing that though, your work is superb, can't wait to see more.

#21 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys
@hocky - I can see where you are coming from. It could be explained by the augments to his legs.

I am leaning towards creating an exploratory warband. One that consists of servitors, data hubs and recording devices, all under the control of either an inquisitor or magos. I have drawn up the ideas for a mobile pict recorder, inspired by the pict recorder footage from the very beginning of the Eisenhorn trilogy. It will be based off the LOTR models of gollum.

~M

#22 ·
This term seems to be a bit more chilled so I should have more time to finish off the warband
I've made a small amount of progress on the Keeper. Struggling with how to position the head, I don't really want him looking at the book as it's a bit cliched, but that only really leaves to the right or straight ahead, any ideas? I also had an issue with pinning the head and I pinned it in the wrong position initially, does any one have any tips on pinning things to prevent them from being at the wrong angle?

Also picked up these two old eldar models

Planning to turn them into rogue traders, hopefully with some glossy purples and golds. Was hoping to use the empire feathered heads but unfortunately the heads are too big!
~M

#24 ·
@alasdair - Thank you
Another small update - the keeper is nearly much finished.
Unfortunately I didn't have that much flexibility with the head as I had to pin it in order to build it as so I really only had three choices looking to the right, left or straight ahead. In the end I did glue his head in the cliched position because unfortunately it did look the best. I've also added his respirator, connecting pipes and a holstered pistol. I changed it from the initial design which would have had the pipes coming from the two outlets at his chin. I did this because despite my initial feelings that the outlets were too big they have grown on me. I've relocated the pipes to just behind these. Also debating which side to put the gun.
I think in 40k games I'll use him as an advisor or sanctioned psyker.

C&C appreciated
~M

#25 ·
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ordo Chronos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
I was having a look at some of the smaller ordos and came across the Ordo Chronos. An Ordo fascinated by the bizarre properties of the warp concerning time and time travel. I sketched an inquisitor for this Ordo. They are also involved in hunting down those who appear in the past, for extermination or study. The whole ordo has vanished into the warp in an attempt to study it. I like the flexibility this could bring: new weird weapons, strange armour, new plots and storylines etc.

Inquisitor Lady Pervoxia of the Ordo Chronos

I went with a couple of themes one that because they are potentially jumping in and out of the warp at different times their clothing would be from different times and therefore may not resemble current fashions and trends.
I don't know how I feel about the sketch itself but I quite like the concepts and ideas I've come up with.
Thoughts?
~M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.