Deep Blue Tyranid log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-14, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Fukushim's Flag is: Poland

Default Deep Blue Tyranid log

Decided to share my Tyranid painting adventure with You. The scheme is pretty simple, blue carapace and black body. I am going for the above average tabletop quality. In studio-scale I think it's gonna be about 3.5 level out of 10.

Firstly, here's my Hive Tyrant: I went for the look of the Harvester frrm Mass Effect with his "face". Idea could be improved upon with the next one.
Primed with chaos black, airbrushed with vallejo blue and then a bit of lothern blue then washed with drakenhof nightshade. Eyes and "lenses" are warpstone glow, tongue is a coat of wazdakka red. The bodyparts were highlighted with dawnstone on the edges. Metal is just simple leadbelcher washed with nuln oil.

magnetised all parts possible, wings have got one additional pin to hold in place

WIP Tervigon, just after airbrushing, the belly is basecoated with kislev flesh, I plan to have it all gooey and slimy like Aliens saliva:

Carnifex, also just after airbrushing the main body. Weapons and head magnetised:

Termagants prepped for priming:

---------------
[Two days later]:

Not a whole lot done in these two days, but here's my progress:

Washed this beasts carapace and termagant sacs:

Finished painting the main body of my first carnifex:

And painted a test-termagant:

Also primed most of my other termagants and the mawloc. Got mawlocs base almost done too. Tomorrow I will perhaps get a few more termagants finished. Days aren't so hot anymore which means my brain operates better :D
To do list, as of this moment:
Paint: tervigon, 2 fexes, 19 more termagants, zoanthrope, venomthrope, mawloc, 10 genestealers
Assemble+magnetise: 2nd tervigon, third carnifex, next hive tyrant

The Hive is ever growing!

Also, if You want to see other models painted by me, go here:Fukushim Paints

Cheers!

Last edited by Fukushim; 07-13-14 at 07:19 AM. Reason: code issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-14, 09:58 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Not a big fan of the black bodies myself it looks a little flat, but the blue is beautiful and really well done, excellent in my opinion

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-14, 10:58 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Not a big fan of the black bodies myself it looks a little flat, but the blue is beautiful and really well done, excellent in my opinion
i have to agree with this...the blue is nice..but i fell the black lets it down

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-14, 06:34 AM

Archon Grimherald's Flag is: USA

the blue on black is nice in my opinion, buddy of mine runs nids that are blue black and green
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

True, the black could be improved upon, but I like it as it is. Gives the bugs a scary feel, imagine something almost invisible charging at You in the dark at about 60km per hour, ground trembling as 3-or-more-ton monstrocities advance. A guardsmen would die of a heart attack before it even got to him.
That's what I imagine my Hive Fleet does. Block the sunlight with their hive ships, spore clouds and fmc's and then advance with impetuous and brute force. Occasionaly stepping into genetic code useful in their evolution. As we play more and more 7th edition, I need to finally make new objective markers for them. Something to think about.

Got carried away a bit, haha. Anyways, here's my progress with the project:

Painted a unit of fleshborer Termagants. I swapped some bodies with hormagaunts, so that they don't look all the same and played with their tails, bending them left and right.

Next up, we've got an assembled Tervigon, gave it the "tyrannofex" head and bended his/her/its tail after putting it in boiled water as this one needs a little convincing to move unlike gaunts. This fleets nemesis would be Dark Angels, as most of their army is fearless, so my Nids have hard time forcing morale checks on them. They have particular hatred towards flesh in "mechanical" bodies, therefore always tear Marines apart long before assimilating biomass. AS an example for my opponent, You'll notice a masacrated marines body on the base.

Here's the base for my Mawloc.:

I can spoil that he also will display some show of force against the Dark Angels. Assume he's now in reserve and will soon appear on this shattered road. [They do have enough manners to knock below the ground before getting up, as some of You may know from experience ]

Here we've got next model I assembled, another Carnifex, also magnetised:

He's a bit shy fellow, forming up a battering ram stance.

Here are all of The Beatles I currently have, these ones also know how to play rock. Perhaps naming them after the band members is a good idea, as there will be a fourth one too:

And lastly, the Zoanthrope, biggest brain of the operation. I will probably prime her very soon.:

Also, I made a dozen of high grass tufts using large brush hair and hot glue:

So there You have it. Small step for a bug, not so giant leap for the fleet.

Last edited by Fukushim; 07-15-14 at 01:39 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-14, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

In today's update, nothing too crazy. I painted a few monstrous creature bases and primed the Tervigon and third Carnifex, but You have seen them already, so seeing them in black wouldn't be that interesting :p

Here are the bases:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-14, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Zoanthrope is finally done:

Those "things" on her carapace are my attempt at freehanding eyes. I might redo that making them larger and more visible I think.

I also began painting Genestealers, here's one 80% done:

Made objective markers for maelstrom of war missions:

Mawloc got a trophy Dark Angel on his tail spike:

I used guitar strings and some PVA glue. He's totally spiked and using his frag grenade as his last resort againt the creature:

Something winged and scary is coming too:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-14, 12:32 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Really nice stuff, the bases look excellent and the nids are very formiddable.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-14, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Nothing much new this time. Painted the Swarmlord parts so that he'd look killer in a game. Unfortunately he failed miserably by not strucking a single blow with his bone sabres, got his guts shot to pieces by Dark Angel lascannon and plasma fire. He will be reborn naturally and show those DA!

Here he is:

On sunday I will perhaps show some in-battle pics. Thanks for support, the fleet ever grows!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode