Orcnar - A Relics Army PLOG - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Relise's Flag is: England

Default Orcnar - A Relics Army PLOG

As well as 40k my small gaming group have started to play a little known game called Relics. As I have bought enough figures for an army and painted none of them I thought it was an ideal opportunity to start my first Plog 😀

I will be using it for the Army Painting challenge for this year so expect to paint at least one unit a month, so hopefully there will be regular updates to this thread.

As an introduction I've shamelessly cut and paste the intro from the Relics page on the manufacturers (Tor Gaming) website........

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402339668.946547.jpg

"The whims of a spoilt King can cause nations to crumble, but the arrogance of the ancients could split the world in half. Some seek decadent comfort in the pain and suffering while others pound the drums of war to fight the oppression. Where will your adventures take you?

The Relics miniature range is a totally unique and original 28mm miniatures range. Each of the races of Relicia has a highly distinctive feel; both in terms of look and play style.

Players can currently choose their forces from the Britanan Empire, the Orcnar, the Vaettir or the Nuem. Two more factions are also being developed at present; one of them is coming to restore order and honourableness to Relicia, while the other intends to spread its madness indiscriminately.

The Relics rule set, the first set of rules supporting the Relics range, is a unit based skirmish tabletop wargame. Here are some of the key points:

Units in Relics can number from a single model (known as Independent units) to nine models. However, generally units with a size of three to six models are the norm.

Unrestricted force composition means you can build those themed forces how YOU want them! Relics doesnít restrict you on the number of a particular unit you can take. If you want to take a army all of a single unit type you can, you just pay the price! The more units of a single type you take, the more expensive they become.

The system uses an alternating activation system. Players take it in turns to activate a previously un-activated unit that turn in their force of their choice and carryout the unitís movement, shooting and casting (if the unit can shoot and/or cast magic) and make their melee attack. This is a major key point to the game of Relics! A unit only attacks in Melee during its own activation, so the order in which you activate units has even more for combat resolution. There is no separate combat phase!

A fast core combat mechanic means the action flows thick and fast. We use a single roll mechanic that looks for double to determine the effectiveness of the attack. No need to roll to hit, then reroll those hits to wound. A single roll is all that is needed."

The above can be found at
http://torgaming.tabletopgamingcentral.com/relics/
Where there are plenty of links for lots of background, including faction histories etc.

I was going to write my own introduction to the system and factions but during the last kickstarter they had which has just finished I found an excellent Blog covering everything I would have covered so rather than reinvent the wheel please see this site for a good description of the system and some nice photos of the figures before they are painted.

http://hephsforge.blogspot.nl/2014/0...or-relics.html

If you want to see how the mechanics work Tor Gaming have put a video online at:

http://youtu.be/XT_s84MVnjM

I think that should give you guys enough of an introduction to the system. If you want to know more ask and I'll see what I can find 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-14, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

So moving onto the Plog. The faction I use in Relics is the Orcnar so as a full intro to these guys I'll point you to a piece of fluff on the Tor Gaming website

http://torgaming.tabletopgamingcentr...rcnar-history/

This gives a brief history of the faction and gives you a feeling for what they are like. (There are similar histories on the website for all the released factions).

My first unit of these is going to be the rank and file Unmann. Minimum unit size is 3 so thats what I'm going for

Here's a photo of them undercoated ready for a lick of paint (Please excuse my attention grabbing cat!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402341646.654750.jpg

These days the Orcnar generally are cave dwellers so I'm going to try and paint them with a pale skin to reflect not seeing daylight too often. I've never tried this before so we will see how it goes!

For the flesh the plan is to base coat dwarf flesh, wash with seraphim sepia and then hightlight up using mixes of dwarf flesh, ushabti bone and astronomican grey. Hopefully this will give the required effect.

They will have blue eyes and the scabs etc I will probably do dark brown/red - so a bit like human scabs!!

I managed to get the flesh base coat on and one wash done at the weekend and they are looking good so far.

The paints I'm using are:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402342026.392180.jpg

Post base coat:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402342103.513148.jpg

And after a wash:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402342163.873861.jpg

Hopefully I will get more progress done this week and the coming weekend so I should be able to update after then.

As I go through any c&c is more than welcome. I consider myself an average table top level painter so am always open for advice to improve 😀

Last edited by Relise; 06-09-14 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-14, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

So I managed to get the next steps done on these guys last night.

After the shading I brought the flesh back up again with dwarf flesh

Photo 12-06-2014 20 00 01.jpg

Then applied a highlight of Dwarf flesh, Ushabti bone and Astromican grey mix approx 3:1:1

Photo 12-06-2014 20 56 24.jpg

Then another highight using the mix above with some extra grey added (done by eye but I think it went a little too grey so I might need to tone it down later on - any thoughts?)

Photo 12-06-2014 21 15 36.jpg

So that's it for the skin at the moment. Once I get onto details I'll try adding some tribal markings or similar.

Next up are the scabs/growths. I want there to be a bright red underneath with darker red or brown on top to represent some blood with scabs on top so I've base coated the area's with Vallejo Air Scarlet Red. This is the first coat and it will need a quick second coat before starting on the darker areas.

Photo 12-06-2014 22 30 39.jpg

Fingers crossed I can get some more done this weekend as I need these guess finished by the end of June for the painting challenge and I'm working away most of the week at the moment!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-14, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Sooo after careful consideration I decided I wasn't happy with the skin on my Orcnar so I've redone it! The main problems where that the dwarf flesh gave too pink a tone (far too healthy!) and that last grey highlight I did was far too grey and looked rubbish.

As I tend to use thin paints I didn't strip the figures but painted over them. First was a coat of Ushabti Bone, followed by the sepia wash, bring back up with bone again and a highlight of bone and grey (probably about 3:1).

Photo 17-06-2014 22 28 44 (Large).jpg

After that process I felt another highlight was needed so I mixed in a small amount more grey into the mix leading to:

Photo 17-06-2014 22 48 47 (Large).jpg

Back to the scabs this weekend hopefully
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Another beautifully sunny weekend in the UK - which meant getting out and doing chores rather than painting figures

I did get a short session done though. I put a second coat of scarlet red on the scabs, Based the claws with Rhinox Hide, then put on a layer of Rhinox hide/Scarlet red mix onto the scabs leaving some of the scarlet red showing through.

Photo 21-06-2014 17 50 42.jpg

I'll see how this week goes and hopefully will be able to get a few hours in either Tuesday and/or Thursday but my wife off on holiday on Sunday with a friend so I'll have a free day to make lots of progress then.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Today I have mostly spent painting as I had quite a bit of free time, so I have pretty much finished my first Relics unit

Just the varnishing to go.

So firstly today I dry brushed with Ushabti Bonethe scabs to give the a drier look:

Photo 29-06-2014 13 05 56.jpg

Next step was to do the claws and nails. To do this I used layers of brown over the Rhinox Hide. Going through thin layers of Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather, Ushabti Bone and finishing off with pure White. Also during this stage I did the eyes in blue with a white spot.

Photo 29-06-2014 14 43 32.jpg

More details where added with the teeth being done in Ushabti Bone, washed with Agrax Earth Shade. Rehighlighted with Ushabti and finished off with extreme white highlights. I think it was during this that I also added some extreme white highlights on the skin as well and deepened some of the shades with Nuln Oil:

Photo 29-06-2014 15 51 27.jpg

That was the body etc finished so time to start on the base. I first put down a base coat of Burnt Umber (cheap acrylic paint I got from my local art shop). Not the best paint but works for bases OK. 2 coats gave this:

Photo 29-06-2014 17 39 48.jpg

And on top of that I put down some Agrellen Earth technical paint and painted the rims black:

Photo 29-06-2014 20 09 21.jpg

And to finish off I used Agrax Earth Shade to shade the Agrellen Earth and highlight with good old Ushabti bone. Put on a couple of grass tufts (GW's Mordhiem Turf) and voila here they are:

Photo 29-06-2014 21 01 36.jpg

I think I'm going to need to do something with the grass tufts as you can just see the bottom of them so tomorrow night will be finishing off and varnishing hopefully. But these are now done enough for the monthly challenge in case work goes mad tomorrow!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

So I put a little more of the technical earth paint dotted around the grass clumps and spayed these guys with Dullcote. All finished ready for their first battle

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1404243930.485588.jpg

So thats 1 unit of standard troops but in order to ensure they do what I need them to they have to be in command range of a commander! So next up is a basic commander known as a Niwian.

These two units come in the Orcnar starter set along with a couple of Docga (fast attack type unit) which i will probably paint after the Niwian.

So here's the before photo with the Unmann in the background.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1404244185.425709.jpg

Ill get cracking on him once i have decided on a colour!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Here come the smurf's!!

I managed to get a good afternoon's painting done on Sunday and a little done last night and today and I have finished the Niwian

These guys are considerably smarter than other Orcnar and always manage to keep a level of calm that is not often found in others from their race. Therefore I decided to reflect this part of their nature in their colour. Intelligent and calm is best expressed by the colour blue.

So to do a blue colour I used Enchanted Blue with a old Blue Wash followed by highlighting up with Ultramarines Blue, Lightning Bolt Blue and then further highlights with Lightning Bolt Blue mixed white various amounts of White.

The scabs, and nails I did the same as the Orcnar and the head protuberances are actual bone so these where done with ushabti bone, Agrax Earthshade and then brought back up with Ushabti bone and Ushabti bone and white mix.

For the eyes blue obviously wouldn't work so I rebased them white and painted Iyanden Darksun with a black dot for the pupil.

Basing was done as per the Orcnar.

Usually I tend to concentrate on one colour, base, shade and highlight that, but this time I decided to base all the figure first and then shade and highlight. Seemed to work well but I didn't find much advantage to this method.

Here's some pictures as I went along capturing the main stages:

Photo 13-07-2014 15 16 01 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 15 27 33 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 15 40 50 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 16 13 45 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 18 08 25 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 18 25 20 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 18 39 42 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 18 52 43 (Large).jpg

Photo 13-07-2014 19 04 34 (Large).jpg

Photo 16-07-2014 20 08 06 (Large).jpg

Photo 16-07-2014 20 20 03 (Large).jpg

I've recently bought a small photo tent to try and get some better pictures done, so seeing as the sun was shining I took it outside and used my decent camera for the finished photo:

IMG_4016 (Large).jpg

I also took a group photo and one of the Orcnar's as well:

IMG_4014 (Large).jpg

IMG_4015 (Large).jpg

So that's month 2 done for the APC - I'm going to concentrate on getting some half painted 40K figures finished for the rest of this month and start with the last unit of Orcnar that comes in the starter set in August. A unit of 2 Docga's. Here's them undercoated with the unpainted Niwian!:

Photo 13-07-2014 14 54 43 (Large).jpg
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 08:21 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I like those minis, the blue creature is freaky looking, your shading really shows off the sculpt on all the minis paricularly the the troops at the start of the plog, lovely job

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
I like those minis, the blue creature is freaky looking, your shading really shows off the sculpt on all the minis paricularly the the troops at the start of the plog, lovely job
Thanks Oldman - I really like the GW shades. They are really easy to work with

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode