Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Oldman's Burden! A Marine Plog

22K views 129 replies 21 participants last post by  Old Man78 
#1 ·
Dear Heretics, Oldman here posting the start of my long over due plog, since being recruited by Khornes Fist over 2 years ago I been promising to do this, but my procrastination slowed me down and to be honest the level of talent on Heresy while inspirational kind of frightened me off. Well after realizing my limitations as a hobbyist and that my ambition outweighs my talent, I have got off my ass and decided to start, albeit in a limited way.

I shall be doing a generally vanilla chapter which will be an Imperial Fist successor chapter, I originally was a fanboy of the Dark Angels but went off them as I thought they were just becoming caricatures of themselves and I have always liked the sons of Dorn. The fighting with one foot on the ground doctrine suits me personality wise.

The force I have at the moment is literally everything that is posted in the army painting challenge,( I have spent a huge amount of time stripping re-stripping marines in my quest for glory and not without casualties) but I have a zombie apocalypse stockpile metal/plastic marine crack to go through, and plan to have a dread and termie centric army as I love the models!!

So without further ado, here is my first offering, my scouts from the March army painting competition, which I'm very happy with.

And a wee close up...

Most of my paints are from the "old" mega paint set, the models were base coated caradon granite, then I dry brushed on several layers of grey going darker grey's out to dawnstone grey, I clipped most of the camo cloaks off the scouts and used gauze as the material for the ghillie suit, the bases are done with citadel basing slate and army painter ash grey flock.

C & c always welcome hints and tips appreciated just remember I may not have the skill to do it!!!!
Thanks for looking Oldman xoxox

See less See more
#2 ·
Always a fan og ghilli snipers and i think you've pulled these off nicely. Can you put up a photo of them in terrain?

Looking forward to seeibng this plog develop, i've been enjoying your contributions to the army painting competition!

#28 ·
Always a fan og ghilli snipers and i think you've pulled these off nicely. Can you put up a photo of them in terrain?
unfortunately not a plog update but I am working on minis, I promise!! anywhoo a long time ago I was asked to show my snipers in some terrain so while doing some gardening at the behest of "she who must be obeyed" I took a sneeky break to do a wee photo shoot and show the ghillie suits, personally I'm very happy with the result, it is far from perfect but close enough for my level of painting.

a wee airial photo

and a slightly above and side on shot

#6 ·
Here is my next bit of burden and also my last entry in the army painting competition, I've been doing mainly vehicles and walkers in the competition because I find them easier and I want to clear work space. this will be a dakka pred but I will be leaving the option to magnetize and will include a very basic and subtle conversion pics as it happens!

#9 ·
4th of April was the last time I updated my log too, and only just tonight have I had time to put some paint to plastic. How are you going with that predator?

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments and the cookies folks, @Iraqiel the pred is comming along nicely, will have a pic up soon of the conversion which is small, I also have to build up a turret ring on the weapon plate, I like the side with the hatch covers showing never noticed that it was only built up for the turret on one side

#12 ·
those are some nice scouts. I think this might give me the kick to get off my ass and start doing my chaos marines that I have been saying I was going to do for several years.

#13 ·
Very nice scouts. Looking forward to seeing them painted :)

#14 ·
Okidoke a wee update, first another close up of a sneaky beaky scout, as you can see the ghillie suit works great hiding my poor painting!!!

Next up, my wee conversion for my pred, I'm not 100% set on it, maybe after I paint it fully I'll be happier.

The conversion was done as I wanted to make a remote style turret which is more common on A.F.Vs today and I thought the normal auto cannon looks too long. I did it by using a razorback heavy bolter turret with one bolter cut short and the dreadnought spotlight added as extra targeting gear, one bolter with added stubby barrel to make an auto cannon and some wiring off a lascannon devastator under the spot light.

#15 ·
If you are going for a modern remote turret look, you've done well - though I'd smooth down that spotlight into a smooth lens for the camera.

I think that's actually a lot more appropriate for what a predator annihilator is anyway. I was always disappointed playing CSM that it was sooooo feeble on the table top but such a cool turret.

#20 ·
Pred finished, needs weathering (which I need practice with) and accessories storage, pickets, barb wire etc

And a wee close up of the turret, I took @Iraqiel advice and smoothed out the spotlight into a lense, I'm still not 100% on keeping the turret, it is mainly a conceptual exercise, I may just convert the actual pred turret with extra optics and shorten the auto cannon barrel

#21 ·
I had never thought about using gauze to make ghillie suits...... its looks great on those scouts.

I really like the pred turret with the camera lens & stubbier autcannon

keep up the good work :good:

#23 ·
A wee update for the plog, got me a vehicle laager going on here, to be honest I should be painting up troops and termies but the vehicles are quicker and I need to clear work space!! Used Army Painter Alien Purple spray, very impressed with the product, good even coverage and the paint goes on very well

#24 ·
I'd like to second the love for the turret - cool concept and great execution. I suppose it's not as identifiable as the pred turret but it's unique and looks awesome - that's the main thing!

Some weathering is definetly neede to break up the colours, but the paint job is really solid :victory:

#26 ·
Try a test using the sponge method - my weathering is far from top notch but i have been very impressed by the decent results you can get by haphazardly sponging on some dirt :)

#27 ·
Another wee update of incomplete minis, this is a bunch of terminators that I will be working on, thanks to @bitsandkits and my own stash of terminators I have 10 that have the same body and legs, these will be a "bulking" force all armed with storm bolters and power fists and a couple of chainfists. Heavy weapon and sgts will be different to stand out but I'll individualize these guys with purity seals etc and I have forgeworld shoulder pads.

#29 ·
Mate that is brilliant! Also, that shale looks surpriingly good as table top rocky rubble, i think i will have a look into it...

Inspiring work, and thanks for the update!

#32 ·
Mate that is brilliant! Also, that shale looks surpriingly good as table top rocky rubble, i think i will have a look into it...
Thank you all for the kind words, @Iraqiel, I have the minis sitting on slate pieces, that I had sitting in plant pots, really a great material for bases and diaromas. I have used the G.W slate on my minis bases, in my head I want my chapters fortress monastery be located out on some highland plateau that they have scorched and blasted in all directions leaving a bleak and desolate landscape and want to try and reflect that on the models

#33 ·
Sounds like a very grim and forboding battlefield, i look forward to seeing a table like that if you get the chance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.