Oldman's Burden! A Marine Plog - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-19-16, 03:14 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Hey, this all looks pretty fancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Another attempt at making my own chapter symbol, this involved butchering a shoulder pad, filing off the symbol and green stuffing my own symbol on and making a mold of it. Again it is meant to be a tower, I'm a lot happier with this effort and may push ahead with this, as I think I'm at the current limit of my ability.
I notice this is from last year, but what were you looking to improve on with your custom symbols? I've done a fair amount of casting with kneadatite and might be able to offer some advice if it's still something you're working on.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-19-16, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I am still looking at doing a custom symbol , and will be sticking with the tower, I used "blue stuff" to make the mold, which was quite effective, it really is just a case of perfecting the symbol and how to paint it.

I'm not sure on keeping the tower on a roundel or just the tower itself on the shoulder pad. I want to focus on getting actual troops complete before getting back to the window dressing of symbols, but would definitely like your advice as I'm thinking of maybe getting resin to make the bigger symbols for vehicle doors etc

post #73 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-19-16, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Nice to see you back on the hobby train.
Good to be back pal, see how long my period of focus lasts, but now that I have tidied up the man cave I have no excuses!

post #74 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-20-16, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
I am still looking at doing a custom symbol , and will be sticking with the tower, I used "blue stuff" to make the mold, which was quite effective, it really is just a case of perfecting the symbol and how to paint it.

I'm not sure on keeping the tower on a roundel or just the tower itself on the shoulder pad. I want to focus on getting actual troops complete before getting back to the window dressing of symbols, but would definitely like your advice as I'm thinking of maybe getting resin to make the bigger symbols for vehicle doors etc
Ah, blu-stuff. The way and the light. Best product I've found for recasting! I assume you're using green stuff (kneadatite) for the actual casting and was referring more to the smoothness of your final product. This is a piss poor example because all my good ones are on bases now, but check out the difference in the flat areas between whitey and greeney here. I can get the white stuff as smooth as the green now but this was from when I was still learning.

As far as resin goes, are you talking about a liquid casting agent or liquid blu-stuff? I've done some pretty big stuff using a mix of GS and Apoxie Sculp (see also: milliput) for dual purposes. First off GS is expensive so cutting it with another less expensive product can spread out the cost a bit. Secondly GS is pretty soft in the grand running of things even when you use a lot of blue in its creation and AS/Milliput hardens way more giving you a more durable piece.

What are some of the hiccups you've encountered along the way?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #75 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-20-16, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

My only hiccup is my actual skill in getting the symbol to my satisfaction, I have not tried anything bigger but am looking at maybe casting my own land raider doors but I'll do the symbol for the door seperately to simplify the process, I'll do the same for the rhinos and razorbacks. Your gs scarab is highly impressive

post #76 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-16, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Another partial update, this also proves how glacial I move, a metal Lysander, with Imperial Fist icons filed/grinded off, including his pretty head, as all my termies will be wearing their brain buckets. To the right is a forgeworld crux which I cut off from one of their shoulder pads as I prefare this crux to the "t" shaped crux that was on Lysander which I'll graft on to his filed shoulder pad.On the note of shoulder pads I bought 2 sets of Astral Claw termie pads just to get 2 lion head pads so if anyone wants the rest let me know and we can make a deal.

post #77 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-15-16, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

okay some more wee w.i.ps,
some more scout snipers, 2 old metal ones, with the standard sniper rifle and three with bolters converted to sniper rifles, wanted to try and get mix of bolt action and semi auto looking sniper weapons to break up the look of the squad, of course these fellas will all have ghillie suits added and cam on the weapons, to cover up most of the poor painting/modelling

Next we have the termie chaplain who has been painted and stripped several times, could never get the black highlighted the way I wanted so I painted him grey and put on multiple washes of army painter dark tone, cheating but I think it will look better once the details are painted on.

And finally some new hobby toys I got at really reduced prices, well the cutting mat anyway

post #78 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-15-16, 11:38 PM

That's a great way to paint black w. grey highlights and it's actually harder and more tedious than painting black and edge highlighting I find. Black washes can be a real pain to get nice and you've done an ace job so far on that Chaplain.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #79 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-20-16, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
That's a great way to paint black w. grey highlights and it's actually harder and more tedious than painting black and edge highlighting I find. Black washes can be a real pain to get nice and you've done an ace job so far on that Chaplain.
Cheers mate, took me a couple of goes to get it the way I want, and stupidly I never made a note of how many layers of wash I put on so if I make a bad mistake it will be a pain to fix. I just have to decide what way to paint the ornamentation on him, i may plumb for stone effect to match the crux and keep it as a theme running through the terminator squads and characters

post #80 of 127 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

a little, w.i.p, as I'm doing stuff for the A.P.C, may as well include it in the plog, messy but I'll get there!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode