Stormxlr's Dark Angels & Scratchbuilds. - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 12:06 AM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

Contemptors are some sexy engines of destruction. Love how that one looks like its charging forward, auto-cannons blazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-31-15, 12:40 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
pictures. Anyone knows any good guides or tips n tricks to taking photos?
Get a few pieces of plain white paper (enough to make a solid white background) and take pictures of your models so that that is the entire background and keep your lighting behind you. I typically try for a light over each of my shoulders to help cancel out shadows, but you'll have to play with your distances depending on what it is you're photographing. If you really want to get fancy you can do what I have done in this picture, and use foolscap blank paper and bend it so that there's no divide between background and what the model is on. Check it out:

I took that with my cell phone and a $15 lamp with some blue-white lightbulbs in them.

EDIT: It just occurred to me when thinking of lighting, either use full on artificial light or pure sweet unadulterated daylight. They will give you a different result either way, and I prefer artificial lighting because it picks up my highlights a bit better. Either way, a blend of the two lighting sources has always proven...unsuccessful for me.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 03-31-15 at 12:43 AM.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Nice work on those contemptors. I love the contemptors when compared to the other dreadnaughts in these armies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganzar View Post
Contemptors are some sexy engines of destruction. Love how that one looks like its charging forward, auto-cannons blazing
Thank you,Contemptors are definitely one of the best sculpts FW produced, the design and aesthetics are very fitting to the Great Crusade era. In current 40k setting when it is next to "modern" Dreadnoughts and machinery they have the feeling of lost and genuinely more advanced technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I'm really digging the hand re-position on your Command Squad Sergeant. I might have to steal it for one of my Sergeants!
:D happy that you can take something away from looking through my plog! Actually the hand is magnetized so can turn 360 just like the girl in The Exorcist!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Get a few pieces of plain white paper (enough to make a solid white background) and take pictures of your models so that that is the entire background and keep your lighting behind you. I typically try for a light over each of my shoulders to help cancel out shadows, but you'll have to play with your distances depending on what it is you're photographing. If you really want to get fancy you can do what I have done in this picture, and use foolscap blank paper and bend it so that there's no divide between background and what the model is on. Check it out:

I took that with my cell phone and a $15 lamp with some blue-white lightbulbs in them.

EDIT: It just occurred to me when thinking of lighting, either use full on artificial light or pure sweet unadulterated daylight. They will give you a different result either way, and I prefer artificial lighting because it picks up my highlights a bit better. Either way, a blend of the two lighting sources has always proven...unsuccessful for me.
From now on I will be taking pictures under direct sunlight, comes out very crisp and gives almost exact shade as the one i can see with my two eyes. 15$ are 15$ I could put towards the hobby, why pay for light when I can use a giant lightbulb in the sky? However green marines look much better under artificial light, something about the highlights being more stark I guess. Will do more testing later.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 06:16 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
why pay for light when I can use a giant lightbulb in the sky?
Just an example of inexpensive lighting, I bought the lamp to light my office when it's dark so no sweat there. You can just borrow a lamp from somewhere in your house for taking pictures when it's dark or otherwise shitty out, no? It's all up to experimentation in the end and what your eye likes, but the thing that I think will really help take your photography to the next level is the full white background for contrast.

This is making me want to paint Terminators.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Another update
Decided to take a photo of my whole Deathwing force... so close to completion... just a few models to buy, and that will take time to paint.

Land Raider and Int-Chaplain are on the side out of the shot. Will take a better picture next time when i get some big white paper for background.

here is a small update on the knight too, the checkered design was inspired by Pre-Heresy Terminator picture

This model is taking forever to paint, though I am doing it incredibly slowly and in small increments coming back to work on him over time every now and then. I am actually just kinda stuck, the model is so big and coming up with heraldry and free hand is proving tough.

The fluff behind my Imperial Knight is that it is an ancient Caliban relic much like a lot of ancient technology Dark Angels posses it was hidden away in the depth of the Aldurukh fortress monastery which later will become Angelicasta or simply known as The Rock to more common Imperial servants. Preserved there for generations since Dark Ages of Technology, since the knowledge to maintain and pilot it was lost to ancient Calibanites until the coming of The Emperor and The Great Crusade. Now it is piloted by most senior members of the Inner Circle who suffered wounds that render them unable to wear Terminator Armour, while not severe enough to be encased into Dreadnought suits. It stands as a protector of the The Rock, keeping their secrets locked away, and if anyone wants to trespass into the home of Angels of Death, it is this Grim Reaper who they will have to face. On the rare occasions when the enemy is too well entrenched and hidden behind walls too thick even for Land Raider Ares to break through or enemy is fielding their own Titans and Dark Angels are fighting without the support of Legio Titanicus and Imperial Guard this ancient Knight takes the field.

This knight has served me well. Has incredibly high kill tally and has been an MVP for much too many games. He has not been destroyed, ever! He got down to 1 HP and the game ended, thats the closes it ever got.

Last edited by Stormxlr; 04-08-15 at 07:13 PM.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

This is new test model for different painting technique

using diluted Zamesi Desert for shadows and XV-88 for recesses
I am liking the deeper bone colour , but the paint quality needs to be cleaner next model will be painted with cleaner lines. but for test model i think this turned out quite well. The greens on the model came out really good too, I am happy with those.

Also here is my travel box, really small can fit in my bag really easily
Models are magnetized at the base to the magnetic strip on the sides and the bottom.
Can fit 1500 points of Deathwing with no vehicles.

Next to it is the box with all the Terminator weapons and arm options.
and this is the list im taking to the club today in this box :D Hope first game in ages will go well, will post update later on how it went.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 08:50 AM

Very nice start,just one thing ,never mention the ultramarines or I shall dispatch a raiding fleet of world eaters and bring back your skull 😈☺
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 01:07 PM
Kal1290's Flag is: United Kingdom

very nice looking paint job there

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode