Stormxlr's Dark Angels & Scratchbuilds. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 03:16 PM

Great job - some lovely Angels right there! Looking forward to seeing the Angel themed Knight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

@Hewbear
4k points of Daemons,well yikes mate, cant imagine the amount of paints you need to buy unless you are going mono god theme.
@Howzaa
I did participate in it once, but this month is vehicle/monster and I got neither one ready. Will enter next month with a group of DW Knights. @Catman
Thanks I am still working out the details on how to make him I dont want simple paint job and few DA symbols thrown in there. I am planing to build custom shoulder pads and maybe give him an actual sword....

Well so I took my time and thought of what to work on, and in which order.
Here is my plan for next month or two.
Painting
1. Finish Highlighting 20 Tacticals.
2. Finish Rhino APC
3. Next Month finish my DW Knights Squad Gideon and participate em in our forum competition.
4. Start painting DW Command Squad Validus and my first banner.

Assembling,Magnetizing,Converting.
1. Magnetize 20 Terminators. ( of which 10 need to be Assembled)
2. Assemble Legion of the Damned Sqaud.
3. Magnetize Imperial Knight Titan and prepare bits for conversion.
4. Assemble last 3 HQs

Scratchbuilding
1. Finish Rhino APC tracks.
2. Finish Land Speeder Tempest
3. Start Land Raider Crusader.

I will be doing one of the three things,when im bored of one I will be doing the other and vice versa.

Last edited by Stormxlr; 03-23-14 at 05:00 PM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-14, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

So I havent updated this inawhile and here is why

Been working on my Deathwing army, I got 25 DW Terminators currently. (5 more are not on the pic)
Everything in the picture is magnetized including shields and weapon options behind them.
Pretty awesome since I can play my knights as normal DW since I can just swap out the maces for bolters and shields for power fists
They are going through slow but steady painting process, so they should be finished within maybe another month.
I am planning to get another ~ 10 terminators and I think I wouldnt need any more for anything below 2000 points. I want to get a group of those Cataphracti Terminators, those models look sick!

And here is progress on my Deathwing Knight Titan.

Check out the eagle wings I added to them from elven fantasy kit. Still need to pain em nicely though.

And here is how he looks like next to my DW Terminator squad.

Now this is just an initial color scheme with which I will go on, no extra details done outside of what is already on the model. So all iconography is yet to be sculpted and painted.
BTW I used lard brush and GW paints, no airbrush was used.

And last but not least
Interrogator Chaplain , I was trying my hand in OSL but its much harder then it looks then when they paint it on youtube

He aswell still needs to be finished but I just wanted to show what ive been doing so far
Well I guess thats it, I will try to keep a better record of what I am doing, I actually wanted to take more WIP pictures but got lazy on that.

Looking forward to constructive criticism and suggestions

Last edited by Stormxlr; 04-22-14 at 07:31 PM.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-14, 08:30 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Those is some nice looking DAs my friend. And I really like the wings on the knight. Keep up the good work!

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
Those is some nice looking DAs my friend. And I really like the wings on the knight. Keep up the good work!
Thanks DAs are awesome the only problem i have is that we don't get all the toys like thunderfire canon and stormraven/talon.
The wings are there for now just to check how it looks like, they are held on blutac. But I'm not sure how to go on i wanted to craft custom shoulder pads for him but not sure how to do it and in what shape =/.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 10:25 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

I love how everything looks. I did do Dark Angels for a while and have to say I'm jealous of your Azreal. For some reason mine didn't come with the proper standard and he looks kind of goofy with just the banner pole.
That knight looks down right EPIC. The wings are a nice touch, especially if you can get them to wrap all the way around the pauldron. Maybe even attach a sword to get the DA symbol.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

So I havent updated in AGES!
But I did recently finish painting my Deathwing Knights thanks to @Matcap for giving me a bit of inspiration there with the shields even though I did not do it as complicated as you!
Also here is a link to Imgur album for better viewing experience http://imgur.com/a/qkkwP

Sorry for potato quality photos, my phone is from 2011 :/

So here it goes

Started painting them in December 2014 and finished a week ago with the bases in an all nighter
some small cleanup here and there left though.

All the arms are magnetized so they can be played as normal Deathwing Terminators.

Belial FINALLY received an appropriately epic base for his badassery. Painted him about a year ago. My skills in blending improved so going to attempt to give his robes a nice highlighting and shading.

My first Deathwing squad I painted about maybe 8 or so month ago, havent been painting much since then

C&C is appreciated

For the Lion!
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 10:35 AM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Good job on the deathwing! I'm always impressed when someone gets a good looking bonewhite armour. Most difficult thing for me, I just can't get it right.

Question on the highlights: are you using a glaze? If not, that might help ease the transition a bit more on the robes for example. (I'm using waywatcher green on my stuff).
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 10:37 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

You've improved a lot since I first saw your log - Your greens look really good and the highlights give it a good touch. In addition I like the greys and the bases. Very well done!

However, this is a double-edged sword as I think the bone, the metals and the reds are flat by comparison. It could be the photos, but I feel there is a difference in shadow quality from color to color. It seems like you have nailed the greens and have yet to master the others.

I would focus first on the reds, as they are the contrast to the great greens you have done. A highlight of Maphiston or Wazdakka red would do wonders on them.

On the bone, it looks like you have used either Ushabti Bone or Screamking Skull. If it's Ushabti, maybe a highlight of Screamking Skull would help as well.

On metals - More Nuln Oil. Always more Nuln Oil :D

Keep up the good work and remember, if you need anything, you know where to find me
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Good job on the deathwing! I'm always impressed when someone gets a good looking bonewhite armour. Most difficult thing for me, I just can't get it right.

Question on the highlights: are you using a glaze? If not, that might help ease the transition a bit more on the robes for example. (I'm using waywatcher green on my stuff).
Same here Bonewhite is so hard to get right, the shading just too easy to mess up. Also black is really hard to paint
No, I am not using a Glaze, I will go pick it up tomorrow and will try it out on Belials green cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
You've improved a lot since I first saw your log - Your greens look really good and the highlights give it a good touch. In addition I like the greys and the bases. Very well done!

However, this is a double-edged sword as I think the bone, the metals and the reds are flat by comparison. It could be the photos, but I feel there is a difference in shadow quality from color to color. It seems like you have nailed the greens and have yet to master the others.

I would focus first on the reds, as they are the contrast to the great greens you have done. A highlight of Maphiston or Wazdakka red would do wonders on them.

On the bone, it looks like you have used either Ushabti Bone or Screamking Skull. If it's Ushabti, maybe a highlight of Screamking Skull would help as well.

On metals - More Nuln Oil. Always more Nuln Oil :D

Keep up the good work and remember, if you need anything, you know where to find me
Thank you, you humble me
Ye now that you mention it I do see it, reds look quite flat. Also the photo messes up the colours of the armor. It actually has quite a bit of shading but the overhead lamp makes the armor glow white.
Then again Im still not happy with how my bonewhite armor is turning out, I just cant find a way to paint it nicely. Also the contrast in quality is most likely due to time difference of painting. I painted the armor almost a year ago and have improved since then. Next squad Im gonna start from scratch by stripping the old paint first.

What I found works really well with Leadbelcher is Imperial Primer, I got a bottle that has water separated from the paint and i use that as shading gives a nice black look to the iron, I guess watering down Imperial Primer would work aswell. Nuln Oil is great but it gives that oily look to the iron which you dont want sometimes.

On this models I am the most proud of the robes and bases, I think this 2 cames out the nicest.I will do the touch ups on the upcoming weekend and post an update and try to get a better picture. Next squad I will do my best to equalize the quality and i wont take half a year to paint it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode