Samules' Knight-a-Week - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Samules's Flag is: USA

Default Samules' Knight-a-Week

Well, I haven't done much painting in the last 5-6 months while I still have almost 2 full units of unpainted Knights I got specifically because I love the models. I also need more practice painting and often get stuck working out color schemes or trying to finish models that just don't quite look done. Therefore, a project log! I'm going to try and finish one of my knights, complete with individual color scheme and heraldry every week.

This is one I painted a while ago:

This is probably one of the best models I have painted, I'm quite proud of him. My only problem is the transfer heraldry is just a bit too shiny, which is why I'm planning on freehanding designs from here on out.

Next, this week's Knight:

This is one of the first models I've done with white primer. He has much brighter colors than the last one, as well as more freehanding. Also, of course, he just ran down a cowardly fleeing orc and I think I got some very nice blood on there with the help of some 'Ardcoat. His heraldry is a Unicorn and fleur-de-lys. The mirror color looks nice, although I think my skull white got a bit thick in places trying to get the colors pure.

This week I think I'll work on a red knight with orange trim, perhaps a rampant lion for his heraldry.

Any comments/criticism/suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 02:18 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Always nice to see some Bretonnians, they don't get a lot of love from GW so it's cool to see somebody working on them. The trick to white is to keep the layers thin and lots of them, it's boring sure but it gets the job done. I know @The Son of Horus uses brown as a basecoat to get to white. Are you keeping purple as a common color on all the knights?

Love the orc skull btw!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 02:34 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

These are off to a great start!

Since Jac mentioned it, I'd be happy to go over how I do white if you like, but not everyone wants to take as much time building up to white as I do. If you're happy with the white primer method, that's equally viable, and looks like it came out fine on your knights!

If you don't want to mess with freehanding and like the look of the transfers, there's this stuff from Testors': http://www.megahobby.com/decalsolven...delmaster.aspx

That dissolves the film but leaves the ink of the decal intact (which enables the ink to settle in recesses and complex surfaces, which is what the solution is actually for), but it also removes that shiny appearance and removes the very faint outline of the decal film. This ultimately works better than the "gloss varnish then matte varnish" method GW used to push for applying and masking decals. If you do go that route, you'll need turpentine to clean your brush, and I wouldn't use a good brush for it to begin with-- it's an enamel base, and if left to dry on the brush will annihilate it.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 02:35 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

When i read the title i thought you were intending to paint an imperial knight per week....

I really like the purple and blue scheme on the first one, and the freehand is very good on the second.

As you said i think the white is weakest part, try building up your whites with either brown or blue to add more depth, depending on whether you want a warm or cold look.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

@Jacobite Thanks for the feedback! I think I probably will keep a little purple token on everyone. #1 will probably be the gallant so it will help tie the squad together as his group.

@The Son of Horus Yes, I would appreciate a guide for white. I'll probably test it on a spare guardian before trying another white knight. That decal stuff sounds pretty cool, but the other reason I didn't mention for not using decals was practicing my freehand so I can have more freedom on the heraldry. If some is available at my LGS I might grab it to improve #1.

@Varakir Ha! I wish. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 03:25 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

No problem! Unfortunately, I don't have a step-by-step series of photos ready, but the end result looks like this:

I kind of cheat by priming my model with The Army Painter Skeleton Bone. But you can get the exact same effect by spraying the model white, and then painting it Ushabti Bone.

I then apply a wash of Agrax Earthshade.

Avoiding the recesses, I then apply a layer of Screaming Skull.

I then apply a mix of Lahmian Medium and White Scar, avoiding the recesses and blend it into the previous layer. I use maybe a 95/5 mix of paint to medium-- you're really after a smooth flow to avoid brushstrokes showing. It usually takes two coats to cover evenly across the whole model.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 05:54 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

@The Son of Horus , what do you do about the grainyness of the Army Painter sprays?

Samules, those knights do look pretty good, i thimk you've chosen colour schemes well. i personally prime white, wash with either black, red, sepia or blue as appropriate and then layer from 50:50 bleached bone and white up to pure white. Hope that helps too... I must admit Son of Horus' methods are probably more effective.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 06:18 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

@Iraqiel -
While I'll admit the Army Painter sprays can be inconsistent, I think out of maybe 20 cans (of various colors--I have most of the range that I used before I had an airbrush when I was doing commission work for fast basecoating) I've had one can that was bad, and it was an internal pressure issue, not a grainy issue-- it came out of the can like silly string.

If you have problems with grainy sprays, be sure to spray in a cool, dry place. Shake the can for 30 seconds before spraying, and hold the can upside down while spraying. Spray in short, two-second bursts, rather than one heavy pass, and spray no closer than 6'' to the model. Somewhere in there, you should solve whatever's causing the poor finish.
Now, all that being said, if you own an airbrush, it's a lot better to just spray the model with your preferred primer color and then apply the bone color with the airbrush. Airbrushes are becoming increasingly common (I know I was VERY resistant to getting one, but I wish I'd done it years ago now that I have one), but not every hobbyist has one yet. They're certainly less useful for Fantasy models than 40k models, admittedly, but still a good investment regardless of what you paint. That being said, DO NOT buy the Games Workshop spraygun. It's a bad siphon-feed airbrush and only can use their canned air-- the odds of it working correctly in the first place are hilariously low, and if it does, it's cheaper to buy a Masters brand gravity feed airbrush and an actual air compressor-- it's about twice as much upfront than getting the GW spraygun and enough canned air to operate it for any meaningful amount of time (i.e, roughly $100) but it'll actually work.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Well using GW's handy conversion chart since I mostly have older paints:
Basecoat bleached bone, wash devlan mud, I'm not sure what screaming skull corresponds to so I might just need to buy some, as well as Lahamian medium to mix with my skull white.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 09:06 PM

Jolnir's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
When i read the title i thought you were intending to paint an imperial knight per week....
Evidently we all have the same things on our minds. I thought this was an IK thread as well.

Those Brets are looking great! Keep it up. Anything special planned for the bases?

Last edited by Jolnir; 03-04-14 at 09:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode