Vengrosian 32nd "Ash Bandits", IG Armoured company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Default Vengrosian 32nd "Ash Bandits", IG Armoured company

Well this year is a year of tidying up thigns which arent greenskins and whilst i was sifting through my mountains of unfinished or abandonned projects i realised i had rather a lot of imperial guard tanks. Some of these were undercoated and nothing more whilst several have been painted in an aweful traitor guard colour scheme.

Realising i had the potential makings of a side project which i could use to fill in spaces in my apocalypse game in July i've jumped in to try and get them all painted up and ready.

In total there are 5 leman russ' (one of which is a conqueror), 1 destroyer tank hunter and a forge world shadowsword. There may be more hanging around (i'm pretty sure there should be a basalisk and a griffon somewhere) but for now that's a pretty decent force to turn into an armoured company.

Whilst before i was painting the tanks in greens and blues (don't ask, i really don't know what i was thinking), i'm plannign to strip them down, repledge the former traitor guard tanks to the emperor and reform them as a desert army, more in keeping with my terrain boards.

Thus the Vengrosian 32nd Armoured company was born. There will be very little fancy techniques here but i'm going to try to make each tank individual and personalised, probably with trophies and kill markings. As a mini theme i'm going to make sure each tank is named after a film.

Here are some shots of the tanks i found (the blue/green thing isn't even uniform across the tanks.....what in the name of the emperor was i doing?) like i said it's possible that even more will turn up. The destroyer isn't pictured, it's already soaking in fairy power spray.

So once these are stripped and undercoated the plan is to hit them with a coat of Tamiya Dull red spray, mask off some camo stripes with maskol and then put on a coat of Army painter desert yellow spray. Once the maskol is peeled off i'll focus on highlighting and picking out details, in all i think i should have the company finished by the end of the month.

After a couple of test runs on some cardboard i but the starting coats onto the two undercoated russi.

These two have been dubbed, by the adeptus mechanicus, "Man on Fire" (with the triple heavy bolter set up) and "Highlander" (hull mounted lascannon and Claymore pattern battle cannon). I'll have them finished in a couple of weeks with any luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Well i've been doing a lot of paint stripping, masking and respraying over the last couple of weeks and i now have all of my tank company at this stage.

Not bad. I'll now be working through them one tank at a time. Probably starting with the Destroyer, i don't know why i love those tanks so much.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 01:18 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Nice work reviving that previous mess ;)

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmir View Post
Nice work reviving that previous mess ;)
Thanks Elmir.

Here is the Destroyer completed and ready for battle, aside from needing some mud on the tracks.

This thing was a pain in the ass the rebuild, it seems that whoever did the origional scratchbuild used card instead of plasticard so when it was stripped down whole sections turned to mush and needed rebuilding. still it' looks the part now.

As i mentioned all my tanks will be named after Films, This little nasty is called "The Grudge" because once it's got you in its sights you are going to die and there is nothing you can do about it.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 11:00 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Nice work, that has come out spiffingly

Like the idea behind the army and 'tanks named after films' is genius!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 12:58 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Oh mighty Grim-'the-ever-impressive'-zag please share more of your awesome desert tanks with us!

I really like the colour combination that you've gone for, it looks rich and deep whilst the finished laser destroyer looks super mean. Keep up the good work!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Nice work, that has come out spiffingly

Like the idea behind the army and 'tanks named after films' is genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Oh mighty Grim-'the-ever-impressive'-zag please share more of your awesome desert tanks with us!

I really like the colour combination that you've gone for, it looks rich and deep whilst the finished laser destroyer looks super mean. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Guys. I've been cracking away at these behind the scenes and now "Highlander" and "Man on fire" are both ready to roll.

That's 3 of the 6 standard sized tanks finished. I think i'll get the shadowsword done next just to break things up before i tackle the last 2 LR and the conqueror.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 03:20 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Alriiiiiight! then, spearhead.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-16-14, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Back again, and whilst i said i was going to be working on the Shadowsword before i got going on any of the normal sized tanks i managed to bugger it up in sensational style (at one point of the debacle of the painting session i was working on the shadowsword i forgot that i needed to wipe paint from my brush to drybrush). So instead now, as i have had to rebasecoat the superheavy adn work back from there, i've finished another Russ. This one was going to be called "Gladiator" but i felt that with the boxy rebuit lascannon housing, cut down battlecannon and large amount of battle damage that it felt like an older tank that has survived a lot.
With that in mind it has been dubbed "Memento".

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-14, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

So after a couple of days being distracted by graffiti techniques on terrain i'm back to the tanks.

Another Russ is rolling out, Anger Management this time.

Oh also i realised that aside from the names of the tanks there was no kind of markings on them.
I've gone back and added markings like this to the rear of the turret on each one now.

the first number is the army number, the second is the squadron number and the tank within that squadron. in this case 32 / 0105 = 32nd army , 1st squadron, 5th tank.

Only the conqueror and shadowsword left to do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode