Vengrosian 32nd "Ash Bandits", IG Armoured company - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-22-14, 07:57 PM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

heh heh heH ha ha HA HA HA. PRETTY ToYz ta play wiV i look forwards TA sMashIN dem Ta bITz.

Dey Is lookin good for PUNY HUMIE SchTuff.

Eragon springs to mind as a movie for your flame tanks. contains dragons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-14, 09:27 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

I also have some orks to contribute... Though unfortunately I'm miles away from where the civilised folk dwell.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
The only thing that detracts from the overall feel for me is the eyes. You're brave to have a go, and clearly have some skill, but they're not perfect. And in my view, eyes are something that have to be dead on, or they just look a bit goofy.

Also not a fan of names on the bases.

Sorry to be a Debby downer.
Hmm after having a look at the eyes i noticed a few that are a little goofy looking so i blacked them back out, then i decided that maybe i should have a look at some videos of people painting faces and eyes online to see if there is anything i can do to get a more solid looking feel. After 6 or so vids, most of which seem to use a similar method to the one i was already doing, i came away with 2 new little tips for improving the eyes.
1: On models with a bronze or darker skintone, don't use white for the white of the eyes. The contrast is too damn high and the eyes end up looking cartoony. Instead use an off white or ivory. I switched out my "skull white" for army painter "skeleton bone".
2: Don't paint the pupils towards the centre of the eye or when you look at the model from the front it will look like this.

Instead paint them slightly closer to the nose so that both eyes appear to be facing forwards. With this in mind i redid all but 2 of the models eyes.

So we have before:

and
after:

I do think that the models are suffering a little bit from the size of the pictures, viewed at normal size the eyes don't seem anywhere near as horrible as these make them appear. See

Also i've removed the names, i'll be redoing them but i'm using tranfers. whilst i like having names on the models so i can develope the fluff a little better i don't feel the scruffy looking freehand writing that i do is in keeping with an imperial army. orks sure, freehanded names on the side of the tanks..ok. but not on something that should to all intents and purposes be viewed as being an official record. I'll print out names and rank badges on transfer paper to get the effect i want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
heh heh heH ha ha HA HA HA. PRETTY ToYz ta play wiV i look forwards TA sMashIN dem Ta bITz.

Dey Is lookin good for PUNY HUMIE SchTuff.

Eragon springs to mind as a movie for your flame tanks. contains dragons
Errrmmmm....yes. I've got a lot of flame tank names now...i just remembered that i was going to call one of them "Liar Liar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
I also have some orks to contribute... Though unfortunately I'm miles away from where the civilised folk dwell.
i'm game and i can sedate Honka for long enough to get him on a plane, i'll slip somthing into his milk and he'll be fine. Realistically though it'll need to wait, there is no way i could afford the journey and carriage that transporting my orks and guard would require. Maybe when i'm a rich and famous writer with my own private jet.

Also the squad is now finished.

I'm trying to work out how the platoon/company/regiment structure works for these guys at the moment. I should have another squad of them in a couple of months once i've finished all the other projects that i've got on hold still but the problem is that i've used a lot of the metal catachans in a single squad and i'm not a fan of the plastic ones so much. if i don't want to repeat the poses i'll have to think outside the box a little.

I've come up with a way of tackling the problem of the missing crew on my artillery tanks as well. I've got a few of the old RT imperial soldiers but they're pretty short.
PS: that's how he came from ebay.

However they're wearing different uniform and won't seem so small when raised up on the bed of a vehicle artillery piece. With that in mind i've decided that Tank regiments in the Vengrosian regiment wear the above style uniform, although in more suitable colours. Tankers will be RT guardsmen.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 09:53 AM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looking good! Tankers need to be smaller anyway to fit in the vehicles.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 01:03 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

The new eyes look a lot better, but there is still a lot more white in them than there should be. The whites of the eyes usually only cover a small area, and certainly not more than the iris. I don't do eyes that often but i usually try and fill most of the middle of the eye with the iris colour, and just have slivers of white on either side.

Regardless these are looking very cool, the camo and detail work on the ammo belts is fantastic and they are absolutely brimming with character

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 01:48 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Considered washing down the eyes with flesh to reduce the white?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-11-14, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Ok first of the fame tanks is good to go, say hello to "The Core".

Turns out that the scales look pretty good once the washes were done.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-12-14, 09:27 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Nice use of both the old and new kits, scales works well as well. Just a stencil and a AB?
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-12-14, 09:35 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Good plog, like the work, the last picture of the chimera is really nice, the scale effect really stands out well the tanks at the start of the plog look like the paint was put on a bit too heavy on the camo stripes, and as others have said if you use a stencil for the names on the bases it would really help them pop, keep upbthe very good work

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-12-14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just a stencil and a AB?
An anarchy miniatures stencil and a can of army painter desert yellow. My AB Kung fu is not strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Good plog, like the work, the last picture of the chimera is really nice, the scale effect really stands out well the tanks at the start of the plog look like the paint was put on a bit too heavy on the camo stripes, and as others have said if you use a stencil for the names on the bases it would really help them pop, keep upbthe very good work
Thanks dude, funny that you should mention the camp stripes on the tanks. They're actually the areas that were masked off, so the paint on the stripes is thinner than the paint on the rest of the hull. Hopefully ill get the other 2 tanks in this formation done tonight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode