Tyranids and Space/Chaos Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

fotoshark's Flag is: Canada

Default Tyranids and Space/Chaos Marines

So while starting off this interesting new hobby late last year I spent a good chunk of my Christmas holidays experimenting with some Tyranids. I have recently purchased some Chaos Space Marines and Khrone Berzerkers which I am awaiting arrival I do also intend on building a bit of my own terrain as well. For now below are some photos of what I started with and where I currently am.

Enjoy, I will update as I continue, please feel free to leave comments or helpful insight

Thanks!

Then I decided to reverse the colour idea and see how it would look ...

Then I moved onto my starter kit Marines

Then I came back to try some more options with the Tyranids ...

And then a completely different scheme upon watching some how to's and scouring other people's ideas ...

I'm now leaning towards the new scheme ... I like how the 'grey' look turned out especially with the blue's. What do you guys think?? Be gentle haha I apologize for the crappy cell phone pics, eventually I will get out the good camera, but for now this is quicker.

- T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 07:54 AM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoshark View Post

this

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

This what sorry?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 03:04 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoshark View Post

He is saying that this is the better color scheme for the tyranids you've painted. But in this case i dont think the mode has been primed yet am I correct? It looks like the chitin is actually just the bare plastic.

You have alot of good ideas but the biggest thing you need to learn is how to thin down your paints (either with water or medium which is what most of us do or with drying retarder which is only really done by advanced painters)

Many of the models show a very heavy coat of paint which obscures the details. A simple clean color scheme like the first tyranid you showed would be optimal for someone who is just starting out. if you wanted the color you could still go with the purple chitin. Also make sure you keep a small detail brush handy. most painters get the job done with only 2 or 3 sizes of brushes. The highlights are very thick and serve more to act as a distraction that adding to.

On a positive note your Bases are very good and consistent. Most beginner painters don't bother with the bases initially but the effects you've achieved are very good. Very reminiscent of a tundra or possibly highland environment.If you keep the same theme across your entire army its a very easy way to bring them all together.

You obviously show enthusiasm in the hobby and you're willing to jump in head first and you should be applauded for that. Remember that it is daunting at first especially when you get criticism but use it and learn from it. Or don't, the reality is every one of us has a different taste and a different idea of how and effect should be achieved. Ultimately they are YOUR models and they should be painted to where YOU are happy with them. The rest of us can go soak our heads in a toilet bowl. Kepp the updates coming we are always happy when new hobbyists begin their foray into the hobby.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Last edited by SwedeMarine; 01-22-14 at 04:01 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 04:34 PM

Shas'Ui's Flag is: USA

Fixed*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1471285_10151759614801892_1639243894_n.jpg (129.4 KB, 3 views)

01000110011011110111001000100000011101000110100001 10010100100000011001110111001001100101011000010111 01000110010101110010001000000110011101101111011011 110110010000100001
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha that's awesome! ��

Thanks for the critique! Didn't prime the plates yet at that stage but the body yes with lots of layers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 05:12 PM

CubanNecktie's Flag is: Canada

fotosharrrrkkkk...welcome to el Hobby as I have come to call it, just now actually, never before.

anyway I like that you're experimenting. I too started relatively recently albeit two years before you. I'm still learning.

so here are some tips any beginner should know:

1. priming a miniature with a hobby spray can primer is ideal as it helps all future paint stick. Citadel black/white is ok. P3 is matte and chalkier, some prefer it. The Army Painter is closer to Citadel and can be glossier with its black...however, they do offer a huge line of colour primers which pretty much saves you a huge amount of time rather than priming the basecoat layer (your first paint colour in your scheme) by hand

if you have an airbrush that's the best, but it's also $$$ and a discipline on its own. I rec' you learn hand painting well before investing. basics!

2. the standard application of paint: primer > base colour > wash > a) layers + highlight; or b) highlight skipping additional colours

it gets more intricate, but this is the foundation. do this on each separate element (skin, chitlin, claws) staying within similar color families for each element

3. paint trios are great for popping an element: dark blue, med blue, light blue (base, layer, highlight), but hobby paint is $$$ so you can experiment with a single colour blended with white/black respectively

4. washes are your best friend starting out, love them

5. less is more, mix paints with water in a wet palette (google it, or even a piece of baking parchment paper), thinner paints in 1-2 coats trumps a single coat from the paint pot every time

also, pot paint consistency varies even within the same line. batches do tend to be different from time to time, so mixing externally saves you trouble/waste and gets you used to the consistency of paint, which allows you to develop your instinct for controlling how it behaves on the mini

6. colour theory is great for later on. looking at tons of stuff is a good way to develop your eye. Cool Mini Or Not, Warseer, Dakka Dakka, etc. have great hobbyists.

Shameless plug time. Here's an article I wrote about my approaches when I started hobbying and how they changed over time. Might be of some help to you: http://hobbythumbs.blogspot.ca/2013/...ar-part-1.html

Keep doing it!!! The world needs more hobbyists.

Last edited by CubanNecktie; 01-22-14 at 05:15 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 05:14 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

He was saying that. The grey looked totally badass and natural.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

^ I too noticed it looked a lot sharper and badass like that haha, but alas that was one of the first I painted so it was heavy duty learning curve and experimenting. Before exploring this hobby I didn't even know how to 'dry brush' or what it even meant haha After many you tube tutorials and what not, its one of my favorites lol

Also LOVE the effect you get with a wash colour, so cool, so much fun!

Thanks everyone for the critique and help! Truly appreciate it Originally my idea with the Tyranid colour scheme from the very beginning was to go with something like the aliens from the movie series "alien" with the black grey and highlight green. As you can see I deviated quite a bit haha But discovered some other fun ideas!

Also forgot to mention, where I'm from it's often hard to find a supplier that carries army painter stuff, I just had to order from amazon to get some static grass tufts. It's also like -25 here so spraying models currently is not a viable option haha I will definitely look into lighter coats though, and that site you gave is definitely helpful! :D In a couple weeks I will be working on some Chaos Space Marines and Khrone Berzerkers, they're already primed in citadel black

Thanks again! :D Stay tuned for more!

- T.

Last edited by fotoshark; 01-22-14 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Decided to spend some more time this week on 'em! And try a few new things with the Agrellan Earth crackling paint (dry pics will have to wait until tomorrow or next time I get a chance to post)

Properly based them this time with Imperial Primer. I also took the advice to water down the paint

- T.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode