Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

In His Name! A truescale Imperial blog (updated 31/10)

24K views 163 replies 27 participants last post by  Iraqiel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been building a modest guard force for a few months now (metal valhallans) and been getting a good amount of inspiration from here.

I've been sharing the progress with friends on Facebook and I thought it was about time I joined the ranks of project logs on here.

So, here we are, the first model I have to share is my deathwatch captain WIP.

I've expanded the force recently to include all sectors of the emporium, so expect a lot of different stuff.

As for the model himself, I've got for a superscale for my deathwatch (while truscaling all my other marines). I wanted a fairly commanding but slow and purposeful pose, and I can tell you it was a right turd to get! Straight legs are difficult.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's a group shot of my deathwatch with a model I'm thinking of using as my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, but I'm not sure about him.

He's based on a conversion I saw on here, by @slah which I shamelessly stole!

As for the deathwatch, a further note on upscale marines, one of the real joys is you have much more room for accessories! I decided that more = more.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks bud! I'm really proud of them. Their were inspired by a log on here, by Veteran Sergeant.

For the deathwatch, 2 in the legs (upper and lower) and one in the waist.

Effort wise, it is a ballache, but the others (more to come) are easier and less time consuming with only one spacer at the top of the legs and at the waist.

Happily, the arms seem to be scaled properly for upscale, and are a little gorilla-y for normal size marines.

#6 ·
Right, before I nip off to bed, I should probably introduce the actual guard that started this force.

I'm planning on doing a 110 man company, 9 squads of 10 divided into 3 platoons each with a command squad with an overall command hq.

What with Valhallan being metal and all, I've done my best to convert some, or they get a bit dull. I decided to have the lasgunners standard, and left them largely alone conversion wise. You'll see two group shots that total 56 men, giving me all the lasgunners I need with 2 spare.

The paintjob is simple, but I think effective. I've gone for a Cold War Russia feel, with olive green being the dominant colour. The whole army will be on my catfight bases (made by mounting the base with the modular movement tray from WFB.

Another shot shows a WIP shot of the sergeants, all of whom will be converted eventually, hopefully with some head swaps coming...

Then you'll see an early WIP of Chenkov, who will be studying maps on that table. The command HQ will all be mounted on 40mm bases, and look fairly relaxed.

There's also an army shot that I took quite a while ago, that shows a blurry shot of more parts of the project. To follow are the heavy weapon teams. I've made and undercoated all 9 teams I think, with some conversions. All 9 special weans are made and painted and I'm making some plasma gunners for the command squads.

The tanks in the background... ill photograph them this weekend and post them up. my friend and I are rather proud...

Attachments

#7 ·
The pose on that first model is superb mate, looks like he's just walked through the door and everyone inside has realized they're in deep shit.

Great start to your plog and will look forward to seeing more :victory:

#8 ·
Clearly I need to prove myself before getting more responses... so here you are...

Some early prototypes of my Cadian veterans I'm working on knee and elbow pads for them.

Also, two of my converted Valhallan special weapons. They're especially important to the force, given the lack of variety inherent in the guard metals.

Attachments

#9 ·
Clearly I need to prove myself before getting more responses... so here you are...
Unfortunately the project log section can be a bit slow depending on who's on/time of day when you update.

Sometimes you'll get 10+ posts, other times you get nothing. If you want direct feedback try posting in the painting section as that's generally a bit busier and will encourage more people to look out for your plog.

I'm sue once this gets going you'll have plenty of people following it as your models look fantastic :victory:

#11 ·
Dude those space marines look completely badass, I like how you're changing the old models instead of just letting them be. But please, please oh please oh please get some pics up of those tanks. I run IG Armoured Regiment and I love me some pretty tanks.

#12 · (Edited)
Ask and ye shall receive...

A friend of mine kitbashed two of his old Russes into a prototype, and since we've made 4 more between us. I have the bits for one more as well.

I really like the finished product, and we're both working of new chimera kitbashes now too...

Attachments

#18 ·
First up tonight, the captain. He only needs a shoulder pad to complete, and that's waiting at home for me, so he'll be done by the weekend.

Second is the constituent parts of another deathwatch member. He should be more or less together tomorrow. Waiting on GS to dry atm

Attachments

#30 ·
Thanks buddy! It's surprisingly easy too. I'll do a tutorial next week.

For now, I have some shiny pics to share.

First up, a decent pic of how my basic Valhallans have worked out. I know they're 5/10, but that's exactly the effort I wanted.

Not sure if I explained this, but I'm using the modular movement trays as a cityscape basing. This has also allowed me to use the base itself as a road on some bases.

Attachments

#22 ·
Well, somebody had asked on another forum how my technique looks like paired up to 40mm bases. I guess that's the answer, lol. I'll link them here. I've actually lamented the small nature of 25mm bases since they limit the amount of scenic inspiration I can use for them. However part of my project concept was that the miniatures would/could be assembled "out of the box", and I've tried to stick with it, lol.

I think the problem with your heavy bolter is just the sheer size of it. The existing heavy bolter is already gigantic, so it scales perfectly with the taller Marines.

I love your captain too. Very dramatic pose, right out of the art.

#23 ·
Well, somebody had asked on another forum how my technique looks like paired up to 40mm bases. I guess that's the answer, lol. I'll link them here. I've actually lamented the small nature of 25mm bases since they limit the amount of scenic inspiration I can use for them. However part of my project concept was that the miniatures would/could be assembled "out of the box", and I've tried to stick with it, lol.

I think the problem with your heavy bolter is just the sheer size of it. The existing heavy bolter is already gigantic, so it scales perfectly with the taller Marines.

I love your captain too. Very dramatic pose, right out of the art.
aye, I wish we had 30mm bases... I'm only doing the 6 DW on 40mm bases, the rest will be on 25s like yours.

I've removed the HB arms and I'll be buying the devestator box tomorrow.

Some small updates: a superscale DW member, from a homebrew chapter (something like The Swords of the Emperor) using GK bitz.

Also a normal true scale marine sergeant.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.