"Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!" - A pre-heresy Emperor's Children plog - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Default "Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!" - A pre-heresy Emperor's Children plog

Greetings heretics! Welcome to my pre-heresy Emperor's Children project log.

I have recently decided to start an Emperor's Children army, set around about the time when Eldrad tries to warn Fulgrim of Horus's imminent betrayal, and I intend to make it a fluffy army. This mean that whilst my army will include Fulgrim with the Blade of the Laer and unit's which use sonic shriekers, they will be few and far between. I intend to make my force largely of those who would later be betrayed at Isstvan III. This also means that I will not be including many tanks, pieces of artillery or Cataphractii terminators, but will mainly be collecting infantry, jump infantry, jetbikes, etc and using a lot of MKIV armour.

Currently, I have bought/been bought 10 tactical marines, 10 assault marines, the box of two legion praetors (I'll probably use the artificer armoured one as a legion champion or something) and a unit of Palatine blades.

That's probably enough rambling, so onto some of the actual fruits of my painting thus far. I have to admit that I am not a great photographer, but hopefully the photo's I include will be sufficient for you guys! I will appreciate any comments, criticisms and tips you guys have for my painting and photography!

So without further ado, enjoy Palatine Blade squad Aelius and Praetor Sabinus!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0879.jpg (260.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0880.jpg (209.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0881.jpg (202.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0882.jpg (180.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0883.jpg (227.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0884.jpg (218.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0885.jpg (224.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0886.jpg (225.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0887.jpg (224.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0888.jpg (231.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0889.jpg (247.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0891.jpg (279.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0892.jpg (269.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0893.jpg (256.5 KB, 31 views)

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 01:29 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Very nice! I like the way your gold plays with the darker purple you chose!
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 10:36 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Really like your colors on those. Well done! The only thing I don't like (and it's a personal thing) is the glossy look to them. Makes them look "slimy" to me.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-04-14, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Yay, update time! Due to the fact that I have not decided to do any uni work yet and had a lot of free time on my hand, I've painted up 5 of a 10 man Legion Assault Marine squad, including their sergeant. Here they are for you guys to enjoy:

Here are some close up's of the individual marines, starting with the sergeant:

Those of use with a decent eye will spot that I used a Nemesis Falcion as his power weapon. I could have gone for an axe or a fist, but I'm trying to make a fluff-y Emperor's Children army and so I figured a sword fitted better.

Anyway, the rest of the squad:

Also, as a general note of what more you can expect to see. I already have 10 MKIV Tactical Marines and 5 more MKIV Assault Marines, so I'll be painting them up steadily. Oh, and I painted up the other (i.e. the artificer armoured one) Legion Praetor. I'll get some photo's of him up soon.

After those, I will probably invest in a 10 man unit of Sun-killers (basically lascannon equipped heavy weapons teams), Phoenix guard (and use them as regular terminators, as I don't own Massacre and I'm not sure I want to pay 70 to be able to use one unit) and at least one Contemptor.

As always comments and criticisms are welcome. Also, if any of you folks go "Hey Deus, you should add/have you thought about adding *this* to your army?" I'd like to hear that too.

Until next time!

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Quote:
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-26-14, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Wow, so I was rather rude and didn't respond. Let me correct that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Very nice! I like the way your gold plays with the darker purple you chose!
Thanks My thought was that when they go full Slaanesh-y they need much brighter purple/pink to help their damaged optical nerves tell the difference so I wanted a darker purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
Really like your colors on those. Well done! The only thing I don't like (and it's a personal thing) is the glossy look to them. Makes them look "slimy" to me.
See (again, personal taste) I like the glossy look because I think it makes the paintwork look like it's been freshly painted and possibly has a coat of varnish or something applied to it, which strikes me as 'in keeping' with the Emperor's Children's image of not only warriors but artists and sculptors etc.

Anyway, now the holidays are over and my progress has slowed now that I'm back at uni. Still painting up my stuff from Christmas, but I use it as a reward for doing uni work. Something's got to keep me motivated Anywho, I finished the other 5 assault marines so now have a complete squad of 10. I'm aware that the photos aren't the best, but hopefully they're good enough for you guys to comment on:

So, I put the slightly odd looking helmet (well, odd looking to me) on the guy with 2 chainswords because I thought it had a might less elegant look to it which matches the aesthetic of a guys wielding two chainswords.

So, I put the slightly odd looking helmet (well, odd looking to me) on the guy with 2 chainswords because I thought it had a might less elegant look to it which matches the aesthetic of a guys wielding two chainswords. I honestly am much happier with this second lot of 5 guys in terms of poses. I think they look more dynamic and actually more realistic, almost like they're a freeze frame of some assault marines in battle. I also did some highlighting on them, which came out rather well and doesn't make the models look too light as I had previously feared, so I will go back and highlight the rest of the guys I painted.

Here are a few groups shots of both the full squad and all I've painted thus far:

And that's all I have for you so far folks. Next I'm working on a 10 man tactical squad to complete my 1 HQ, 2 Troops minumum. In future I plan to buy some proper Emperor's Children should pads and a boarding shield to fit on my Artificer armoured Praetor, but that will be after I've painted up the tacticals most probably.

As always, C&C are welcome and I hope you guys enjoy the update!

Quote:

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 01-26-14 at 03:01 AM.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-04-14, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty just a wee update for you guys, one I'm hoping to get some comments on. I've had a go at free-hand painting the Emperor's Children emblem on the shoulder pad and (whilst it's hard to see because the boltgun hides it) the Palatine aquilla on their chest-plate and it'd be great if I could get your feedback on it. So here's the first of 10 tactical marines for your viewing pleasure.

Quote:
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 05:35 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Great work on that guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-14, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Great work on that guy!
Cheers Tawa

Not much of an update again. In fact, this is barely an update. I tried out the legion symbol on another tactical marine (not featured, but will be when I finish this batch of 5) and I'm happy enough with the consistency of it's shape and size that I'm going to free-hand paint it on instead of buying the shoulder pads from FW, meaning I have more money for actual dudes

Also, I purchased this gem as the boarding shield for my artificer armoured centurion/praetor:

It measures 20mm (width) by 29mm (height) so it's roughly the same dimensions as a boarding shield. Well, it's bigger than a combat shield at any rate which is the important thing. Sadly, since Chapterhouse are in the US and I'm in the UK it might take a bit for it to get here. But hopefully by then bitsandkits will have restocked on phoenix spears and I can purchase on of those as well!

That's all for now. I'll try and have a real update for you soon

Quote:
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-14, 09:37 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Very nice plog going on Deus. The darker than normal purple and golds work really well. have some rep.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-14, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Default "Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!" - A pre-heresy Emperor's Childr...

Edit: Thanks Khorne's Fist. I appreciate your appreciation!

Sorry, again only a mini update. I was trying to finish the 5 men I've been working on before I went home for the weekend, but sadly I am 2 legion emblems painted and 3 models highlighted short of that goal. However, I do have some pictures of the one of the free hand aquillas I've been painting on the chest of the 3 which otherwise have plain chest plates (one already has a small aquilla and the other has a skull). Hope you enjoy and as always, C&C welcome

Quote:

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 02-07-14 at 12:38 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode