A rookies Daemon painting log. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-14, 10:40 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

For the bit you're missing, i'd suggest putting in some spikes (nid bits?) and then giving him a fur mantle sculpted from GS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Hewbear's Flag is: England

Yea soooo almost finished Skulltaker, added a slight highlight layer to the flesh and put a bronze layer on the armour, so pretty productive. Im really unsure about the horns, do i go lile GW stock pic and do them red, or do them horn colour??

The bronze on his armour will have a drybrush of silver? To make it look worn, and then his sword, i dunno. And the skull, jeez leaving all the hard bits till last
Any advice on how to approach this last step would be nice, you guys are awesome!

Oh and i know i update often, but i get quite hesitant and not wanting to screw up, so i like advice in to how to do bits, cus you guys are awesome and know exactly how to help

Last edited by Hewbear; 01-12-14 at 10:51 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 11:27 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Allright, lets see if we can help a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewbear View Post
The bronze on his armour will have a drybrush of silver?
My recommendation would be to give it a Nuln Oil wash and drybrush it with "Brass Scorpion" instead of silver. Brass Scorpion has the nice effect of a very light bronze, which is almost metal'ish when drybrushed, so it should get the effect your looking for.

Quote:
Im really unsure about the horns, do i go lile GW stock pic and do them red, or do them horn colour??
It's individual taste in the end, so you can't go wrong. Personally, I don't like bone color on Bloodletters (As you can see on my interpretation of it) both others swear to it. I would say that you should pick a theme for your Bloodletters as a whole and do the same theme with this guy, as he's basically a Bloodletter on steroids.

Quote:
And the skull
Hehe flames are always fun. I would recommend doing the bone bits first and the try to Google "flames". See how the colors swirl from white to yellow and finally to red. Try to imitate that with your color palette, as it's easier to do with a picture next to you.

Quote:
then his sword, i dunno
Well you can either go iron sword or infernal. Iron is much easier to accomplish, where Infernal is harder. What are your thoughts overall?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Im thinking the Nuln oil and brass scorpion may be a good purchase, but im using *mostly* Vallejo paints, about 15 Vallejo to 7 GW paints, but im in love with the new washes, Reikland fleshshade. Im looking into getting the agrax and the nul oil aswel when i get abit of cash together. Would the Nuln Oil just go ontop of the Bronze, the a very light Brass Scorpion to give thr armour a worn look and break up the solidness of the bronze. Im not a fan of gold, its more of a SM colour personaly and these are dark killy monsters, but im thinking the details on inside of cloak to go gold, maybe.

But in thinking bone colours as my Bloodletters all have bone horns, but looking online they seem to clash with the rest of the model so i dunno, im thinking to try base coat them in maybe dark brown, then a second coat 1:1 bonewhite then a light dusting of bonewhite ontop to brighten them up.

The sword looks badass infernal, but i dont think i could paint that at the mo, i reaply like the simplicity of the GW one the black with grey and white highlights as majoroty of model is red and bronze it would break it up a little?

The flames i think your right, i looked online, ill need a few more paints, (yellow and orange and grey but not for the flames) but once i have the paints the flames shouldnt be too difficult *famous last words* and then ill need purple for his tounge, and then ill have to decide what to do for his spines.

Again thanks Nordicus, your advice is second to none, it really helps. Next update will have a nearly if not fully finished skulltaker then maybe something new, maybe not so khorne ill see how i feel once this guys done.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 06:54 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

I will admit when i saw the first pics I was a little skeptical butive got to hand it to you. youre coming along very nicely. The effect on the cape is exellent. Noridcus is definetly your man when it comes to taking ideas and Painting tips from (especially deamons) as he has a rether impressive collection himself.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Update time. ive not done huge amounts, but yea i made a start on other things now and also counted up how many models i actually have. So updates first heres Skulltaker, alsmot complete, just needing a few paints for tounge and fire, then maybe somehting for his spines.

**update and the handle of his sword, dammit i knew i forgot something**

Now some new stuff:

A pile of Plaguebearers, only primed atm

And two Pleaguebearers ive attempted at doing flesh, first layer on and im unsure about the green, perhaps DA Green is too light :/ im quite liking the Rakarth Flesh one though, but ill see how they compare with a few more coats and detailing. I may have to Paint a third test PB a little later on with a darker green base.

Then somehting a little more OTT and awesome:

This pic does not do the models justice, thats 2 of my 3 DP the third is the same model as the left DP i got pre painted and will eventually strip and paint up.

So yea thats all i has on my update, but a quick model count ended up around:

1 Great Unclean One
2 Old Winged Deamon Princes
1 Metal Nurgle Daemon Prince
1 Skull Taker
22 Bloodletters
14 Plague Bearers
about 20 Bases of nurglings
3 Flamers
1 Soul Grinder, which im thinking of getting rid of in exchange for more troops or something as its plastic, and in an all Metal army is sorta wierd.

Im sure i have more somewhere :S haha, im wiating on another cartload of models from a friend which will increase my Daemon army to over 4k points :3 hopefully finger crossed :D ima update my first post with a complete partially done and a to do list eat some point aswel.

Oh and quick note the large majority of models will be based on Fantasy bases. But some models (Nurgle Prince and Skulltaker) are on 40k bases as the dont fit very well on fantasy bases. And all models will be based aswel, im just unsure what would look best on a daemon army yet.

Last edited by Hewbear; 01-28-14 at 08:46 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 11:01 PM

What did you end up doing with the gap in skulltakers cloak?

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

So far its still a gap, im tempted to greenstuff the gap and stick a few skulls to cover it. Possibly.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 11:45 PM

Spiiiiiikes

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 09:40 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
And two Pleaguebearers ive attempted at doing flesh, first layer on and im unsure about the green, perhaps DA Green is too light :/ im quite liking the Rakarth Flesh one though, but ill see how they compare with a few more coats and detailing. I may have to Paint a third test PB a little later on with a darker green base.
Doing great progress I see - Way to go!

If you need any inspiration for those Plaguebearers, you can also check out the tutorial I did on the Great Unclean One. I did the same steps on my Plaguebearers and you can find it here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode