More grimdark than 40k ever could be - Sigur does the Thirty Years' War - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-14, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

@JAMOB : I got into historical wargaming almost two years ago and never looked back. Of course I play the occasional game of 40k but getting into historicals (and some smaller sci-fi games along with that) changed my whole outlook on wargaming. Got me back into gaming too. If you're interested in wargaming off the path of the big 'uns like GW, PPP, Battlefront and the like I strongly suggest giving the Meeples and Miniatures podcast a listen. This podcast is the main thing I blame for getting interested in miniature wargaming again (aside form painting) and enjoying it more than ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-14, 09:44 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Great painting and history lessons to boot, +rep

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-14, 09:59 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Good stuff yet again!

Any plans for doing Poles or Tatars etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-14, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

@Oldman78 : Thanks very much.
@Tawa : Cheers. Nah, nothing Polish or more eastern planned as for now. For a while there were plans for some Vienna 1683 things which of course would include more Poles (and Ottomans of course!) but not sure if they will happen any time soon.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-14, 09:42 PM

Fair play

I may drift onto the Continent once I've got my ECW stuff done

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

@Tawa: Sounds cool. I mean most you have to do is change a few flags around (unless you painted all the guys to wear uniforms).

Last week my gaming nemesis and I had another go at Pike&Shotte. Differently to the usual gaming night which runs for about three hours we started in the afternoon and played the game from start to finish. Here are a few impressions:

The setup. Lines indicate battalia, the unit descriptions are somewhat hovering above/underneath the respective unit.

As I provide both armies we rolled for who would get to play which side. This time it was my turn to take the imperial-catholic side. Other changes we made from the last game is that one of the cuirassiers units joined the protestant side who also got a brand new unit of Finnish cavalry. They also brought most of the available artillery.

The catholic troops in the bottom of the picture set up pretty much in a linear (one could call it a protestant) fashion, with the light cavalry to their left, a centre of pike and shot, swordmen and the medium artillery and heavy cavalry in the right along with some Cossacks for support.

The Swedish and protestants set up in two lines (more or less), light cavalry on their left side, cuirassiers and Finnish cavalry in their right on a hill, along with the medium cannon and their general. And in the far right they had placed a powerful flanking force of veteran Swedish Blue and Yellow Guards regiments.

The light guns, according to Gustav Adolph's orders, were used as 'regimental guns' and stuck with the infantry centre.

A colourful mix of the protestant alliance's troops. Swedish light cavalry wing, mercenaries from Hesse-Kassel, the Palatinate and Veterans from Saxony.

The imperial-catholic troops were no less colourful and had even dug up an old formation of swordsmen:

The catholic right flank certainly looked the most dangerous with two units of cuirassiers in black (ehem) armour and a unit of Harquebusiers, all under the command of nasty old Heinrich Holk:

Here's a lovely shot of the clash of light cavalries on the left side:

Due to Swedish light cavalry being a bit more squishy than Croats, fire support by the Dragoons on the imperial side and some poor dice rolls things were settled rather fast on this side the the imperial-catholics got a lot more freedom of movement on their left flank.

On their right the heavy cavalry attempted to charge right into the enemy cavalry (who were outnumbered almost two to one) before the Swedish blue and yellow regiments would hit home.

Of course the plan failed and things ground to a halt as catholic cuirassiers got ground up in a horrible crossfire between Swedish and Palatinate regiments to their sides and enemy cavalry to their front.

In their defence, they did a really good job not breaking and bound half the protestant army in place for quite a while.

In this picture you can see another problem the imperial-catholics had to face - the idea was for the infantry centre to rush forward and hit the inferior protestant German troops hard and fast. However, half the infantry didn't get the memo and as the centre left rushed ahead the centre right barely moved at all.

Lateron the imperials actually made it over, a unit of Bavarian veterans immediately started a push of the pike match against Hesse-Kassel troops and disintegrated. However, in the end the catholic side were able to take away a very close victory.

The game took us roughly seven hours to finish but it has to be said that in the beginning we took some time with looking up rules and taking photos, calibrating the cameras and so on. It was the first time we used this fleece blanket to cover the table and it came out rather weirdly in some pictures. In the flesh it's more green. Still, not a bad blanket at all. The game wasn't bad at all either. Each time I play Pike&Shotte I get renewed faith in the rules set. It's a brilliant compromise between "realism" and "speeding things up" where it counts.

Hope you enjoyed the report.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 10:39 PM

Sounds like a good, hard battle

Quote:
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-14, 03:29 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

One of the greatest reasons to play with smaller scale minis is that you can field these larger armies that actually look and feel like a real army.

Nice write-up and pictures. If I was still living near my Dad, I would pick up Pike and Shot...its the kind of game he would love.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

@Tawa: It certainly was and very, very close.
@iamtheeviltwin: Great, I arrived at developing "dad tastes". :D Pike&Shotte is a really entertaining game for any wargamer I'm inclined to say. That aside, I absolutely agree with you on the smaller scales. 10mm is so painfully overlooked as a scale and it works (in my opinion) SO much better for proper battles than 28mm or even 20 or 15mm.

Hey, not even three months and yet another update!

These buildings I got last October at Vienna Model Expo. N-Scale toy train houses from Vollmer. Amazing kits. The church is the most complex plastic kit I built in a long time. :D
I bought them a little overpriced and actually i'm afraid they won't fit the minis. I mean they are the correct scale to my minis. The thing of course is though that one mini in my armies depicts between 10 and 20 men (due to varying sizes in units at that time) at least and if a unit of minis walks by a house in the correct scale...well, it's like 60 dudes running around a house instead of a thousand dudes. The scale is correct but the size is wrong if you know what I mean. Which is problematic. I'll have to give it a try, maybe it looks alright on the table. Honestly, I doubt it but oh well. We shall see. Hope you like the look of the little "village" though. No cross on the church tower as of yet because I wasn't sure wether to put it on there or make it removable because storing and transporting a plastic church with a thin plastic cross on top isn't something I like the sound of. ;)
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 09:01 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Awesome combo of awesome painting and history! Keep it up!

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode