Sigur goes South - The American Civil War - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

Default Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Hi people, here's my first historical plog here on HO. Over the past one and a half years two rather remarkable things happened to me - first, I'started actually playing with models again, second, I've become a historical wargamer. Since then I did a ton of projects ranging from ancient Greece to the mid-1980s and I enjoy it oh so much. I even get to play almost every week which is amazing fun.

Anyway, here's my latest tale of getting into a new period.

Codex: Confederaceh

So what's this all about then? Early this year I had an amazing game of 28mm scale American Civil War stuffs. Hundreds of figures per side, huge, beautiful table. A real shame I didn't have my camera with me. Anyways, this was the first time I got into touch with wargaming the ACW. I have to admit that it did look really good. However, to be honest it's a period that never really grasped my attention and I'm still trying to work up a real enthusiastic interest in the conflict. No all that dashing uniforms, no all that exotic formations, hardly any proper cavalry, one side seemingly overwhelmingly superior in morality, manpower, equipment and infrastructure. Have I mentioned that I'll collect a Confederate army? All that being said, I'm reading stuff, researching stuff and so on. Things are starting to get more interesting.

Throwing Rocks

Why did I start the whole project then? Well, a bunch of the local historical wargaming guys are getting something ACW set up in 28mm. There is an overabundance of Union troops around already so the rebels needed some support which is where I came into play. And it's not like I'd turn down an opportunity to buy new toys. ;)

The rules sets of choice will be Foundry's Bull Run to Gettysburg and the recently released Longstreet by Sam Mustafa. The first one we used with the one ACW game I had and it works rather well. Longstreet I haven't even glanced at so far but the rulebook is on the way. I haven't read any reviews yet so I can make up my own mind while reading the rules but as far as I know the ruleset has been hailed as being tip top. Very much looking forward to getting the book.

The arrival of the first slew of models also helped the enthusiasm for the whole project a fair amount:

Of course I'm going with the Perry plastics because if you get the option you got with Perrys. Unless it's Napoleonics, in that case Victrix are worth a look of course. ;) Anyway, I got two boxes of their generic ACW infantry and two boxes of their ACW cavalry, starting out slow for starters. I got those rather cheaply second-hand which is nice. That's also the reason why I went for the generic ACW infantry rather than the Confederate infantry box. Dismounted cavalry I'll look if I can convert from plastics or I'll just get the Perry metals for that. Speaking of metals, commanders and maybe some unit command figures I'll get from the perrys as well and hope for the plastic ACW artillery to be released soon. Last I know of that box is that it's in tooling but there is no release date yet. I'm hoping for "before Christmas".

So the models arrived yesterday and as a person I have NO restraint what so ever I immediately put together two units of infantry for Bull Run to Gettysburg.

And here's the first unit finished:

...well, mostly. They still need basing obviously. 40 by 40mm, four models per base, five bases per unit. The weird thing is that all these boxes came with bases that are essentially 40mm by 45mm. Kind of annoying but oh well. I guess I'll just cut them up. If I just use the slightly larger bases I KNOW I'll regret it.

...and the second unit:

I planned to use my initial impetus for painting very rag-tag looking regiment (every unit will represent a different regiment I thought) so that's the first unit I did. Hope you like them so far. It's a bit problematic that I get a bit less than two units out of each box of generic ACW infantry so maybe from the second box I'll build one more unit, then get a box of Confederate infantry and mix and match three units out of that and the remaining figures from the generic boxes. I've been discouraged to go for mixing the ACW infantry box and Confederates infantry box models but I guess I can't resist getting one box of Confederate infantry, just for testing. Oh, and I'll need Zouaves.

On Monday fate seemed to have acknowledged that I've been a good boy and painted a lot of figures over the weekend so I found this in the mail:

Aaw yeah, Longstreet rules and cards. I hope too that I can get a game in some time soon but then I still need to do a lot of painting. Realistically, I wouldn't expect to play any time before Christmas/early next year. We only play with painted models of course. And I love it.

So yup, that's the plan. Let me know if there's a specific unit you'd like to see in this army or if you have any info on interesting formations or something in the Confederate army. Thanks and see you soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 12:25 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Oh Lee Crap! Great work on those soldiers, Sigur! The cloths are just perfect!
And good luck on your project!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, neferhet. I wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait for replies because I'm not sure how popular historical stuff is with the HO crowds. Anyway, it's great to work on a proper 28mm army once again, especially as it's for me, me, meee, and not for somebody else. ;) Hope to get some more work done the upcoming weekend. During the week it's strictly commission work for me.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 07:58 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur View Post
Thanks, neferhet. I wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait for replies because I'm not sure how popular historical stuff is with the HO crowds.
Keep it coming mate!

I'm having a break from 40k for a while as it's becoming a bit of a grind. So at present I'm wandering off in the direction of 15mm ECW stuff.

Anyway, great work on Johnny Reb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 08:04 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Great work, the blending is super nice
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 08:32 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

You got that done in a day? Jesus fecking christ. Your brushes on the juice or something? Really nice work!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-20-13, 12:06 AM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Really nice stuff Sig. I am realy into historicals, so a new plog is a relief form Marine after Marine after Chaos Marine.... I have been avoiding ACW only because Iknow once I am there I will be lost for years. Gotta do Gettysburg in 15mm... must resist....

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-20-13, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

@Tawa : Nooo, why does everybody go 15mm? :D I'm really starting to think that I'm one of three people in the world who play the Pike&Shot period in 10mm. Anyway, I'm really fascinated with that period. In my case it's the Thirty Years War and it's pretty much my very own pet project. Maybe I should start a plog about it as well....
@Ddraig Cymry : Thanks very much!
@Jacobite : Thank you but nah, it wasn't done in one day. Took me two, minus putting the fellas together. Still, it was quite a sit.
@KjellThorngaard : Cheers, For the past one and a half years 95% of my gaming was historical as well. It changed my whole view of wargaming and the one thing I blame for this is the Meeples&Miniatures podcast. :D I really wasn't eager to get into ACW, let alone in 28mm but I've got my one project nobody plays so on this one I'll just go with what the other guys are doing. Still struggling to get myself really invested in the period or rather the conflict. I'd join in with anything Napoleonic at the drop of a hat but the local guys are struggling to find common ground in terms of scale and rules set and I think that we'll much rather see peace in the middle east before they manage to get a unified approach to Napoleonic wargaming.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-20-13, 03:06 AM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Quote:
and I think that we'll much rather see peace in the middle east before they manage to get a unified approach to Napoleonic wargaming.
harhar!! I think you might be right! well, at least you have a group to game with, and they have something that piques your interest, even a bit. ACW catches me, well, because I hail form this side of the pond, my great-great grandfather served two terms in the war, and I have been to several battlefields. Napoleanics scares me. Unis are a bit much for my abilities. Scale boggles my mind. And I have yet to truly delve into the history. And I avoid hatmostly because I think I would probably really dig it...

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-20-13, 01:08 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
@Tawa : Nooo, why does everybody go 15mm? :D I'm really starting to think that I'm one of three people in the world who play the Pike&Shot period in 10mm. Anyway, I'm really fascinated with that period. In my case it's the Thirty Years War and it's pretty much my very own pet project. Maybe I should start a plog about it as well....
Space issues more than anything And I've yet to find a decent range of 10mm figs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode