Sigur goes South - The American Civil War - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-30-14, 03:08 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

One of my mates is making rumblings about getting into 15mm ACW, but I have too many projects and not enough time for them at the moment. This might sway me though. Awesome work as usual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-30-14, 03:13 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Astonishing! I like the history lessons too! :D

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-30-14, 04:24 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Awesome history lesson and my eyes bleed with sympathy just looking at those pants, I think they would mutiny if I tried to repeat it, amazing work.

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

@Tawa : Thanks very much!
@Khorne's Fist : Thanks for the comment. At least he's sensible enough to go with any scale but 28mm. 15mm is almost as bad but a little mode sensible at least. :D The period has its fans and rightly so. I'm not hugely into it at this point but it's got its charm I suppose.
@neferhet : Thanks, glad you appreciate the historical info. I always try to find something interesting about the units I do. Gives the unit character and reading up on the background of what you put on the table is always important I think.
@Jacobite : :D Yeah, over the years I tortured my poor old eyes into submission I guess. Glad you like the historical bits. Maybe I'm a bit boring but in my opinion history is a hundred times more interesting than any made up fantasy universe can be.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 03:17 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

The history is a nice addition to the Plog

When I find my motivation and start painting again, all my ECW regiments names are made up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-05-14, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

@Tawa : What I did with my TYW armies is that I took the OOB of a larger battle and base most of the regiments on that. I'm okay with making up names for characters when it comes to historical skirmishing because at that level things get weird when you go too much on a personal level but with battle games I prefer having actual historical names of regiments, commanders and such. Also because there's so much to find out about those people and regiments,

Slowly, slowly things proceed. Here we got two cannons and crew. Everyhting is about half-finished at this point.
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-05-14, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur View Post
@Tawa I'm okay with making up names for characters when it comes to historical skirmishing because at that level things get weird when you go too much on a personal level but with battle games I prefer having actual historical names of regiments, commanders and such. Also because there's so much to find out about those people and regiments,
It's purely because I'll be fighting the ECW from start to finish as a long campaign Historic regiments might make an appearance from time to time though

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Sounds cool. What rules set are you going to use?

Alrighty, people, here's quite the update!

Washington Artillery of New Orleans, including Sergeant T.Potter:

Perry Miniatures plastics set, gun barrels are magnetized for pulling the old switcheroo.

...and here's the dismounted 2nd Louisiana Cavalry to go with their mounted version from the earlier page:

Those are mostly Perrys metals. I smuggled in three plastic infantrymen (one of them converted to hold a shotgun), trying to hide the fact that most of the cavalrymen brought twin brothers to the unit because there are just six different sculpts in the Confederates cavalry on foot set. I also like the serene smile on the face of the horse holder. In case things go badly he knows he'll just take off with the horses and sell them on the way home.

Unfortunately this weekend's big ACW game was postponed as some unionist players had to cancel the appointment. Not highly gentleman-like but oh well. ;)

As the boys were all giddy to get out and the weather was nice I put them up to take a few shots of the whole brigade:

Hope you like them.

In the back you can see a little field and some fences (renedra) I did over the past two days between doing commission stuff.
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 11:33 PM

Lovely work as ever, Sig!

To answer your question, the ruleset of choice will be Pike & Shotte for the main. However, some homebrew stuff combined with relevant campaign bits from the old Warhammer: ECW will bulk it out a bit more.
Oh, did you get my PM btw?

Quote:
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-14, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

@Tawa : Thanks! Yup, did indeed get your PM and it will be considered once the guy actually gets a name. :D Nothing wrong with Pike&Shotte. Quite on the contrary! Campaign stuff always sounds intriguing.

Hey guys. I can't believe I haven't posted my little report of the Bull Run to Gettysburg game here! Sorry about that, I shall remedy it immediately.

Last month saw my boys' baptism of fire in a test game of Bull Run to Gettysburg.

Both me and the Unionist players didn't know the rules, so the host offered to not only serve drinks and provide the location, table and most of the terrain but also to umpire the whole affair.

It was basically just setting up our armies in a somewhat linear fashion and give it a go to learn if the rules are any good and to get a game going.

Early on the Union troops on their side of the table of course took the opportunity and got into an abandoned farm, I tried with my guys to charge it frontally, got shot up rather badly.

My Louisiana guys ...

...got some help from their friends of the South Carolina Zouaves and infantry and some artillery from North Carolina and Tennessee.

On the right flank I had my cannon and a unit of cavalry who dismounted and took position in a small forest.

However, that didn't really scare the two Unionist cavalry squadrons off and in one of the most horseless but still fierce cavalry battles the 2nd Louisiana cavalry was kicked out of their cover and were shoo'd off the table. Whilst racing (still on foot) the union cavalry broke through the Confederate lines. One of the units ran by my artillery, but the cannon crews were fast enough to at least catch the second unit with a hailstorm of shrapnel and they had to withdraw.

In the meantime the first unionists cavalry unit had shoo'd my cavalry off the table and reformed for charging up the hill and at my artillery battery.

For the most times of the game my artillery battered the enemy artillery but only to little effect. First one of the southern batteries had a horse killed. In return my artillery killed two of their crewmen and one of the limbers.

I really like that limber model by the way. Excellent minis on that one. :-D

Towards the end the Louisiana Tigers also made it into range of the enemy lines and fired a salvo. I rolled really well too but trying to hit infantry sitting in a building at long range and counting as loose formation still was rather ambitious. I'm sure the enemy was impressed with the trousers still.

Yeah, so it went on up until I had to leave due to having to appear at a friend's wedding early the next day.

It was rather clear though that the day and the first Battle for Ramshackle's Barn was won by the Union.

Well, maybe next time...

More pictures can be found here:
http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/games/?nggpage=24

Hope you like the report. The rules left us a little 'meh' in the end. They're definately playable and there are some really nice bits in there (units under fire firing less effectively themselves, the fact that troops are advancing or retreating playing a role in further morale checks and so on) but ultimately there was a bit of a 'meh' feeling to it. I have to point out that none of us were familiar with the rules though so we probably made some mistakes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode