The Bloody Twelfth, The Lords of the Sands - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 10:51 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

The smaller chains really do look great. Defs worth the effort I think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Blissful Brushes's Flag is: England

@Jacobite : Ye, pretty cheap overall too! Even if they are silver.

@forkmaster : Thanks, me too! Got some paint for you though now.

I thought I'd stick up some PIPs of that crazy Rampager, he's coming on quite nicely now. I've been trying to blend the whites a bit more than usual - I've had a couple of comments mentioning about some of my whites looking flat, so I hope to prevent that here!

Come take a look at my work:
The Bloody Twelfth, The Lords of the Sands

Luna Wolves 14th Company

For my 14th Company Novella

Grimdark Orks

I do commissions, email/pm me:
Blissful Brushes

I always look to improve, as such I always look for ways other people can improve and what elements are good already, please bear that in mind if you ever think any of my comments are overly critical: it's not personal!
Strive for excellence in all that you do.

Blissful Brushes.

Last edited by Blissful Brushes; 11-28-13 at 09:57 AM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 10:04 AM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing the painted model... the chains really do make it.

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 10:13 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

White is looking good! Not flat at all. Love the missing chunk of his helmet as well.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

@CLT40k : Cheers, he's a lot closer now! Should be done by tomorrow night

Khornate Daemon Prince for Call of Chaos WIP. Got chainmail sleeve coming along nicely, though I'm having to do it in small chunks because it takes so long and the GS dries. Oh, and it makes your eyes melt. Got the butcher's nails pretty much done into the back of his head too now (can't really see on this picture); I just need to sculpt the sockets for them. Then once that's done I'm pondering giving him some form of helmet, we'll see. Struggling to make the legs run, but I'm determined not to have a hunched Daemon Prince.

World Eater Rampager PIP, the World Eater himself is done minus blood, all I've done on the Guardsman is his face. I sculpted his hand to try and make it look as if he's dropping it. Not sure if it worked though. Still, on the whole happy with it so far.

Please don't refrain from directing any comments, questions or criticism at me, I have a fairly thick skin!

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

I always look to improve, as such I always look for ways other people can improve and what elements are good already, please bear that in mind if you ever think any of my comments are overly critical: it's not personal!

Blissful Brushes.

Last edited by Blissful Brushes; 12-15-13 at 12:44 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 12:39 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Oh thank christ, finally somebody who is actually make the DP look like it was once a CSM. Really nice work on the sculpting of the torso. One thing I would suggest is to raise the armour up more so it looks like it is sitting above the flesh or raise the flesh up so it looks as if it swallowing up the armour as it grows (kinda like a tree will grow round stuff in it's way). Personally I would also do something about that long finger (always confused me that bit). How are you doing the chainmail btw? It looks great although make sure to link it in some way to the armour or do the flesh meld thing.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

With regards to the armour I was hoping to make it look as if it has fused with the flesh, though wasn't sure if it had worked very well. Thanks for reminding me about that finger, I got rid of that daft one on the axe and sculpted a new one it its place, this one should be an easier trim though.
For the chainmail I'm aiming for the same kind of look that the gladiators had on the Spartacus TV series for their shoulder armour, though mine will be chainmail to the elbow or so, then I'm going to rework that vambrace. I'm going to get those straps going across his chest to secure it on. Pondering seeing if I'm make some tiny little laces, as if it had been tightened, though that may be a little bit mundane for something of the warp. Though this Prince is there to represent a bit of the hypocrisy of Khorne. Hates all things psychic, yet this is essentially a psychic manifestation. So it may work!

The Chainmail is actually quite easy, just time consuming and a lot of attention.

1) Roll out the GS over the surface and smooth it out.
2) Get a needle or a small nail - I managed to pick up a set of 50 odd blades from my local supermarket that had some nailed shaped ones on it. Awesome for £4.99.
You then press a small indent into the GS in the top left corner of the area.
3) Stab a semi-circle around it, making the shape of the first link. It doesn't have to be beautifully smoothed around it, just ensure the GS that will bulge up it smooth.
4) Do another one alongside it.
5) Then do one below it, in between the two, forming a kind of triangle. Keep this triangle pattern all the way.

Things to pay attention to:
- Gravity! You want to try and make sure that the links are going roughly down
- Straps, like on the Daemon Prince's arm: I've done a bit of a bulge where the mail has been press over the top, a bit's fallen over the strap, other bits have been pushed up.
- Finally. Wait until it has all dried before tidying up the links on the edge unless you have a very sharp knife, covered in vaseline because it will pull your chainmail apart. You will then proceed to cry/rage. Either way, it won't end well.

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

Blissful Brushes.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 01:06 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

For me at the moment the join between the flesh and the armor is too straight and clean, needs to be rougher and not straight. Laces would be cool but more in fitting with Slaanesh I think, belts and buckles is more Khornes style I think.

Thanks for the tips on the chainmail, looks to be a bit outside my comfort zone, maybe one day!

Also with the gold on the Bereserker, I think it needs a shade in the recesses, it seems a bit flat. Maybe "black line" it with some Agrax shade or whatever the brown was is called?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

@Jacobite : Give it a go!!! The worst you can do is totally balls it up and ruin the model! On a serious note, if you fluff it up all you have to do is pull it off, smooth it and try again. It took me a couple of tries before I got where I wanted. My GS'ing has only improved at the pace it has by trying hopelessly ambitious things. I just saw where I failed and made sure that I didn't make the same mistake next time...I'd just find a different way to balls it up...
On the DP I'm slowly building up belts, next up is buckles!

Yea, the gold still needs some work I think, I'ma crack it one day..

I thought it would be most appropriate to post this on this log, what with the titan I'm doing featuring in the battle of Armatura, which is only a little bit earlier than the period that my World Eaters are based on.
I bought a Titan on Gamesday this year with the crazy idea of entering it at GD next year. I've been slowly pottering away at it without much progress, and it's been periodically shelved as other things have cropped up. Today I decided I'd work on the warhound a bit, I went from this:

To this:

I'm hoping to get this beast done by Gamesday 2014, though I think that's highly unlikely when the scope of the project is actually considered...still, it'll make a nice entry for vehicle/diorama I hope! Though I still need to spend about £180 on FW parts for the damn thing...

Below are some things that are currently on the workbench, a slightly converted Angron, a Vostroyan vox operator, and most of my tanks...still got a pair of 'raiders, a rhino and a 2nd ed Vindicator (think it's 2nd ed anyway...) in a draw.

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

Blissful Brushes.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 06:51 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Love that Vostreyan Vox Operator, one of my favourite GW minis ever. I also forget just how big Baneblades are compared to normal tanks. Interested to see how the Warhound turns out. Have you looked at some of the other Titan entries to GD for inspiration?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode