Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log - Page 31 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 09:42 AM

Ravion's Flag is: USA

LOL! That is one funny looking familiar! I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravion View Post
LOL! That is one funny looking familiar! I like it.
Yep... not gonna lie, I had dreams of greatness, only to have them brought crashing down when I actually put fingers to greenstuff...

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #303 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 01:19 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Yep... not gonna lie, I had dreams of greatness, only to have them brought crashing down when I actually put fingers to greenstuff...
Don't let it beat you! What was your process, did you build it part by part letting stuff cure before moving on, did you use wire/paper clips as a skeleton to model to for support? Details pal.

Also, it looks just fine to me all painted up because: Chaos Daemon

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #304 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Don't let it beat you! What was your process, did you build it part by part letting stuff cure before moving on, did you use wire/paper clips as a skeleton to model to for support? Details pal.

Also, it looks just fine to me all painted up because: Chaos Daemon
Yep was banking on the 'Because Khorne isn't a sculptor" quality when I decided to just paint it.

I made a wire armature out of bits of paperclip, one long piece running from head to tail and then four pieces wrapped around the centre to create the legs and strikey bits... then I pinned on all the bits that I'd picked out and worked the greenstuff in a little bowl of water to make two balls, one for abdomen and one for... middle... abdomen (biology not my strongest suite) and then eight sausages for the legs. To apply these over the armature, I halved the middle ball again and pressed half down from on top and half down from underneath. Initially, I had it looking right, with that tarantula-esque shape... but then being impatient, I didn't wait for it to cure and did the legs. The legs were the sausages flattened and then wrapped around the armature, blended at the top with a knife and tapered from top to bottom. Unfortunately, in putting these on I re-shaped the middle, which didn't work out so well. Last of all, I elongated the tail ball into a bulb, pressed in the chaos tank bit and worked it into the bulb a bit and then stuck the whole thing straight onto the projecting tail bit of armature, thus unbalancing the whole model.

To paint it, I used mephiston red as base, typhus corrosion to dull the red and add a grainy texture and then an agrax wash to blend in the bone and brass/copper look.

End result: disappointing but acceptable!

You are right, I shouldn't let it beat me. Maybe when I get to the point where I don't have a list almost as long as @Tawa 's as backlog, I'll start sculpting nice single models to be feature details, characters etc.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #305 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 07:39 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Glory to Chaos!

I mean, uh... sorry you lost the match.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #306 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Glory to Chaos!

I mean, uh... sorry you lost the match.
Hahaha my allegiances are a little divided, the amount of times I'm relegated to playing traitor guard or straight up CSM!

In this case, not to fear, the beauty of a 3 game campaign over three weeks is that next time I get to lay down the pain in revenge! Maybe a dreadknight to back up the Imperial Knight that my Mechanicus will be fielding will smooth the way for my skitarii to be brought more fully to bear...

Iraqiel

post #307 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 07:31 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Sounds like you had a solid learning experience with that kneadatite this time through. Waiting for it to cure is the absolute worst and most crucial part I find, I've fudged a bit too much work in the past and now I accept that initial (and grueling) patience is worth more than doing it twice/accepting a botched result. This one time I decided I was going to use a toothpick to stipple liquid green stuff onto a plastic model's cloak to give it a fur effect....never again.

What sort of tools do you use to to shape the putty? Fingers aside of course. I've found that between my exacto, a (few) toothpick(s), and a clay shaper I have everything I need for most things. There's a few other tools in my arsenal that come out to play when I'm working on plaster mouldings at work but not very frequently at all on the scale of models. Can't say I've ever straight up put my kneadatite into water though, just kept the hands/fingers/tools that needed to work it damp. Too much water makes it a bit too soft for my preference, I find myself overworking things way too easily.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #308 of 378 (permalink) Old 05-01-16, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

@ntaw I have been using the same, a scalpel and toothpick, an old set of sculpting tools I got years ago (galeforce 9 I think) and a beaten up old brush to flick at stray bits.

As I said though, at the moment I have been minimising doing any actual modelling with the stuff, usually I just gap-fill. When I venture into the realms of Chaos again though, I'll consider being a bit more adventurous and putting some of this 'learning' to use!

Iraqiel

post #309 of 378 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 01:28 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

I like the familar, it reminds me of something from between a giant ant and a starship troopers bug. I had a similar experiance with trying to make a Carrion crawler for DnD from scratch. After i'd gone to all the trouble of sculpting and painting the thing, the party opened the door to the room he was in, said "Nope" and closed the door again :s .Then they laughed. Poor old Lumpy stays in the DnD monsters box now and doesn't come out.

post #310 of 378 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
, the party opened the door to the room he was in, said "Nope" and closed the door again :s
Thanks! And aw... damn. Ungrateful bastards, I hope rocks fall and they all die!

Painted 10 more skitarii:

And then on Thursday got a game in with them.

Second game in my mini-campaign! The forces of Chaos have swept through the outer hab districts of the Primaris Manufactorum Hive, a virulent plague before them cleansing the lesser mortals and feeding a billion sacrifices to Nurgle. The sorceror in charge of the invasion may have dedicated his soul to the plaguefather, but his mission is from Abaddon and he has decided that it would be prudent to follow through...

The next step in his master plan is to launch a double headed strike and eliminate the interference of the Grey Knights. This chapter's existence is no secret to the Black Legion, and without their veil of mystery, the Sorceror has divined the exact locations that they are likeliest to choose for landing zones, as well as what their strike cruiser is likely to do if attacked. And so, using some of the favour gained with Nurgle from his successes so far, the Sorceror casts a mighty incantation to throw a daemonic tendril of warp storm filled with phantasms of helldrake, helltalons and unknown beasts of the empyrean like a hurricane through the upper orbit of the planet! The tendril of warp storm spread and flexed, and as the world turned the orbiting ship crested the horizon and saw its peril! It fired rockets and sought to escape, but the route was ambushed and the strike cruiser crippled, left to limp away back to Titan.

In the mean time, the Sorceror having set his mighty machinations in place, personally led a small cadre of plague marines and Black Legion auxilliary havocs deeper into the Manufactorum, approaching the Grey Knight's LZ...

2000 points Skitarii with Dominus Formation, Knight Errant ally and Grey Knights allies
vs
2000 points Black Legion with Nurgle Sorceror, Plague marines squads, havoc squads and obliterator squads, with Chaos Terminators and Lord.

Noble soldiers of the Machine God:

Disgusting unclean double traitors of the Black Legion:

The Chaos took the first turn, their rhino transports grinding forward and disgorging the foul and poisonous Plague Marine squads and Sorceror.
Heroic shooting by the brave Skitarii destroys a rhino and the odd plague marine and havoc.

Turn 2 - The plague marines assault! Obliterators drop from the sky and blitz Skitarii and a dunecrawler, laying waste to many warriors of the Machine God. The Plague marine assault is nasty, and worst of all the Plague Champion, aware of Nurgle's watching eye, whiffs all attacks but one in a challenge, strikes down the Prime and is granted ascension to Daemonhood!

Turn 3: The Mighty Knight comes on from reserve but fails to make an impression - though several plague marines are looking a touch crispier than earlier. The Grey Knights charge... at the Sorceror, their way to the Daemon Prince blocked by his hardy erstwhile squadmates.

Turn 3: The terminators arrive and make an immediate name for themselves. One falls to sniper fire, but they kill most of the Rangers! The Daemon Prince leaps up onto the jump pad a deals a huge six points of damage to the Thunderhawk!

Turn four: The Grey Knights finally kill the sorceror after a long slapfight. The Knight rushes desperately to engage the Daemon Prince but is too far away! The Terminators charge the remaining Rangers, killing them all and the Dominus along with them. The Prince grins maniacally and tears into the Thunderhawk's reactor. His body is assailed by the resulting explosion and he is left all but destroyed by the fire and the shockwave, but the Terminators and approaching obliterators escape harm.

With the Thunderhawk thus destroyed, the Skitarii reeling beneath the guns of the plague marines and obliterators and the remaining Grey Knights hopelessly ensnared in another interminable combat, the Black Legion has won the day, and will melt back into the shadows to plot their next move... an audacious advance to capture the ForgeWorld's Magos dominus herself!

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode